Wireless = Internetless

GodZilla

Wireless = Internetless

Hi gang,
I'm having a lot of problems with my Internet connection since going
wireless. I have 2 computers sharing the Internet connection; 1 laptop
PC running on WinXP which has no problems at all. The other which I use
more frequently to surf the Net, runs on Vista. The system seems to do a
lot of work in the background - but I don't know what - and frequently
gets to the 'Not Responding' stage where I have to turn off and restart
in 'Safe Mode'.

Could it be the joys of yet another cockup by Bill Gates or is there a
real reason to this problem?

Very grateful for all your help,
Chris

--
GodZilla
jeasterby

Re: Wireless = Internetless

I have issues as well. My ISP has been out to my house 5 times since i
got this new laptop with Vista. They cant seem to figure out the
problem. I am ALMOST convinced at this point its a Vista issue.

I too can not connect or stay connected to the internet via Wireless. I
am able to stay connected if i hard wire the Ethernet cable directly
into my laptop. I do not want to do this. I need to be able to stay
connected 100% as well as my daughter.

My daughter has XP in her PC and she runs wireless off the router. She
has no issues staying connected.

Very frustrating. I am so dissapointed in Vista.

--
jeasterby
Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless = Internetless
what brand and model and hardware version router? what firmware?
what wireless card?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:55:00 -0500, jeasterby
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I have issues as well. My ISP has been out to my house 5 times since i
>got this new laptop with Vista. They cant seem to figure out the
>problem. I am ALMOST convinced at this point its a Vista issue.
>
>I too can not connect or stay connected to the internet via Wireless. I
>am able to stay connected if i hard wire the Ethernet cable directly
>into my laptop. I do not want to do this. I need to be able to stay
>connected 100% as well as my daughter.
>
>My daughter has XP in her PC and she runs wireless off the router. She
>has no issues staying connected.
>
>Very frustrating. I am so dissapointed in Vista.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Bob Willard

Re: Wireless = Internetless
jeasterby wrote:

> I have issues as well. My ISP has been out to my house 5 times since i
> got this new laptop with Vista. They cant seem to figure out the
> problem. I am ALMOST convinced at this point its a Vista issue.
>
> I too can not connect or stay connected to the internet via Wireless. I
> am able to stay connected if i hard wire the Ethernet cable directly
> into my laptop. I do not want to do this. I need to be able to stay
> connected 100% as well as my daughter.
>
> My daughter has XP in her PC and she runs wireless off the router. She
> has no issues staying connected.
>
> Very frustrating. I am so dissapointed in Vista.

And yet, hundreds(1) of people, including me, successfully use WiFi with
Vista; probably a clue that your problem is not caused by Vista.

Note 1: OK, maybe more than hundreds
--
Cheers, Bob (*not* a Vista fan)
GodZilla

Re: Wireless = Internetless

jeasterby;714158 Wrote:
> I have issues as well. My ISP has been out to my house 5 times since i
> got this new laptop with Vista. They cant seem to figure out the
> problem. I am ALMOST convinced at this point its a Vista issue.
>
> I too can not connect or stay connected to the internet via Wireless.
> am able to stay connected if i hard wire the Ethernet cable directly
> into my laptop. I do not want to do this. I need to be able to stay
> connected 100% as well as my daughter.
>
> My daughter has XP in her PC and she runs wireless off the router. She
> has no issues staying connected.
>
> Very frustrating. I am so dissapointed in Vista.
>

> --
> jeasterby

Yet again tonight I've had to restart my PC 6 times before the 'useless
piece of junk' - Oh sorry I mean Vista - managed to realise that it was
connected to a wireless Internet connection.

I have an NTL Cable modem connected to a Netgear router via a USB
Adaptor I think. The PC in question is an: Intel Core 2TM Quad
Processor X6600 (2.4 GHZ 8MB L2 Cache; 1066MHZ FSB) WinVistaTM Home
Premium 32bit; 2GB DDR RAM 667MHZ; 320GB Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer;
256MB NVIDIA 8500GT PCI-Express Graphics with TV-Out & DVI; Midi Tower
PC Case; Multi format 18x Dual layer DVDRW; Sound blaster compatible
audio.

Sorry to bore you with all that, but I'm not sure if it helps to
hopefully get a cure to the problem.

--
GodZilla
Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless = Internetless
please obtain the details and post them here.

Include the following:

1. what model netgear router?
2. is the router really connected to the cable modem via USB?