sharing folder

up355 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sharing folder
sometimes the sharing folder works, and most of the time it doesn't. i have to restart both computer and sometimes the folder works, but i can only see it on my laptop which has vista. on my computer which has XP i have never been able to see any files from my laptop. im pretty sure i have everything set-up properly. im not sure if im going to the right folder in windows XP to see my sharing folders, could someone confirm for me which folder to go to? i have kaspersky internet security installed on both computer, windows firewall off, and have a WRT300N router if that helps.

thanks guys
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: sharing folder
If the windows firewall is off, it could be a 3rd party security software.
For troubleshooting, please start the computer with clean boot.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"up355" <up355.3fh846@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> sometimes the sharing folder works, and most of the time it doesn't. i
> have to restart both computer and sometimes the folder works, but i can
> only see it on my laptop which has vista. on my computer which has XP i
> have never been able to see any files from my laptop. im pretty sure i
> have everything set-up properly. im not sure if im going to the right
> folder in windows XP to see my sharing folders, could someone confirm
> for me which folder to go to? i have kaspersky internet security
> installed on both computer, windows firewall off, and have a WRT300N
> router if that helps.
>

> thanks guys
>

> --
> up355

Mick Murphy

RE: sharing folder
Info on Networking XP and Vista below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia