Vista Networking/File Sharing

Andre Petropoulos

Vista Networking/File Sharing

I recently purchased a Toshiba running 32bit Vista. On my network I
have 2 vista laptops (1 old & 1 new), and 1 XP desktop. After spending
countless hours trying to get my new Vista to see my XP on the network,
I decided to see what would happen if I tried to set up my older Vista
laptop. After changing the workgroup name and restarting on my older
Vista, both my XP machine and my new Vista machine are visible to the
network. The old Vista has access to my XP machine, but even though it
can see my new Vista it can't access it.

My new Vista cannot see any other computer on the network other than
itself. File sharing, network discovery, etc are on. It cannot locate
other computers even when all my firewalls are disabled. I am able to
ping my XP computer but not my other Vista. I have spent all my free
time over the past two days trying to figure out why my new Vista can't
share files on the network.

Help!

--
Andre Petropoulos
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Networking/File Sharing
Some info below for you.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Andre Petropoulos" wrote:

> I recently purchased a Toshiba running 32bit Vista. On my network I
> have 2 vista laptops (1 old & 1 new), and 1 XP desktop. After spending
> countless hours trying to get my new Vista to see my XP on the network,
> I decided to see what would happen if I tried to set up my older Vista
> laptop. After changing the workgroup name and restarting on my older
> Vista, both my XP machine and my new Vista machine are visible to the
> network. The old Vista has access to my XP machine, but even though it
> can see my new Vista it can't access it.
>
> My new Vista cannot see any other computer on the network other than
> itself. File sharing, network discovery, etc are on. It cannot locate
> other computers even when all my firewalls are disabled. I am able to
> ping my XP computer but not my other Vista. I have spent all my free
> time over the past two days trying to figure out why my new Vista can't
> share files on the network.
>
> Help!
>

> --
> Andre Petropoulos

Uys Scholtz

vista nework
Andre I found that if you make the default gateway of the vista laptop the ip address of the Xp pc it works. And in the network and sharing control panel make sure where it says unidentified network click cistomize and select private netowrk.
Malke

Re: vista nework
Uys Scholtz wrote:

> Andre I found that if you make the default gateway of the vista laptop the
> ip address of the Xp pc it works. And in the network and sharing control
> panel make sure where it says unidentified network click cistomize and
> select private netowrk.

Two devices on the network cannot have the same IP address. Furthermore, the
OP has a router which acts as the gateway. There would be no point in
making another computer the gateway. This would only impede Internet
connectivity and do nothing to solve the sharing issue.

Yes, the OP should make the Local Area Network private.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!