Starting Wireless Services

WJB

Starting Wireless Services
Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 with all current updates. Often when
I boot up or resume after a Hibernate, Windows does not connect to my
Wireless Router and I get the networking icon with the red "x". I then have
to right-click it and choose Connect to a Network, which allows me to type in
the network name and encryption pass-phrase. This doesn't happen all the time
and does not appear to be tied to anything in particular. Is it possible that
sometimes the attempt, for instance, to refresh an IE window is attempted
before the Wireless Services have started? If so, is there a way I can set
the order in which the services start/resume, and if so what should be the
order amongst the related services?

Thanks
+Bob+

Re: Starting Wireless Services
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:37:02 -0700, WJB <WJB@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 with all current updates. Often when
>I boot up or resume after a Hibernate, Windows does not connect to my
>Wireless Router and I get the networking icon with the red "x". I then have
>to right-click it and choose Connect to a Network, which allows me to type in
>the network name and encryption pass-phrase. This doesn't happen all the time
>and does not appear to be tied to anything in particular. Is it possible that
>sometimes the attempt, for instance, to refresh an IE window is attempted
>before the Wireless Services have started? If so, is there a way I can set
>the order in which the services start/resume, and if so what should be the
>order amongst the related services?
>
>Thanks

Go into Power Management and set the NetWork Card settings to "max
performance. The go into Device Manager and set the Network card to
NOT allow it to be powered down. (If you need more specific
instructions, ask).

Try that for a couple days, report back.

WJB

Re: Starting Wireless Services
Thanks, Bob. By Power Management|Network Card Settings I assume you mean the
Wireless Adapter Settings in the Advanced Settings tab of the Control
Panel|System and Maintenance|Power Options|Edit Plan Settings, right? If so,
I already had it set to Maximum Performance for both On Battery and Plugged
in. If not, how do I get to it?

As for the Device Manager setting, the "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power" check box was checked. I unchecked it. I assume this is
what you meant. If not please let me know.

I'll give it a try and see how it behaves over the next few Resumes.

Thank you very much and please let me know if I misunderstood any of your
instructions.