File Sharing Vista Home Basic & XP

tsullivan

File Sharing Vista Home Basic & XP

I'm having a terrible time getting my XP Desktop and Vista laptop to see
each other. I'm running XP SP3 and I've followed any directions I've
found online for networking the two. Both are connected using wireless.
I followed step by step the instructions here:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037 Someone I know
networked their computers this way. It doesn't work for me. I'm about
to go nuts! I spent hours working on it and still no luck. I've tried
running cmd to ping the IP address with no luck. I can ping the
computer name though. Not sure if that's important. I'm trying to
share files and a printer with laptop.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

--
tsullivan
tsullivan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tsullivan.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

RE: File Sharing Vista Home Basic & XP
Have a read below about running XP's file and printer sharing wizard, and
Vista's settings.

Also, after that, to add XP's Printer, you will have to go into Vista's
Network and Sharing Center, and add the Network Printer on XP from there,
browse for it from there.
Make sure that you have a Vista compatible Printer Driver downloaded from
the Printer's manufacturer's website for the Vista machine.
If you don't, you can not use XP's Printer.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard,even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"tsullivan" wrote:

> I'm having a terrible time getting my XP Desktop and Vista laptop to see
> each other. I'm running XP SP3 and I've followed any directions I've
> found online for networking the two. Both are connected using wireless.
> I followed step by step the instructions here:
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037 Someone I know
> networked their computers this way. It doesn't work for me. I'm about
> to go nuts! I spent hours working on it and still no luck. I've tried
> running cmd to ping the IP address with no luck. I can ping the
> computer name though. Not sure if that's important. I'm trying to
> share files and a printer with laptop.
>
> Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> tsullivan
> tsullivan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tsullivan.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1034255.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

oscar

RE: File Sharing Vista Home Basic & XP
Hi,

There are two basic operations in setting up a home network: Setting up the
local
workgroup and setting up file sharing.

Setting up local workgroup:
1. On Vista Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet.
4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
5. Select the settings that you would like to use.

Suggested basic settings for Vista:
Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
File Sharing – ON
Public folder sharing – ON
Printer Sharing – ON

Setting up file sharing:
For sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share > click on
Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone

OR

right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone

Run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...