Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure

Stuscotland

Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure

Dell XPS M1330 Core2Duo 2GB RAM laptop

Vista Home Premium

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Driver version 12.0.0.82

Driver date 08/07/2008
--------------------------------

I have a big problem with my WiFi adaptor when resuming from Sleep. In all
other circumstances it works perfect. Upgrading the driver version and my
router firmware has not helped. Basically, when I resume from sleep, the
WiFi indicator still shows connected in system tray. Clearly though, it is
not as I have no internet access or IP address.

When I click on the icon in the system tray, I should get the Network and
Sharing Centre but nothing appears. If I try to open the Network Connections
panel through Control Panel or elsewhere, it hangs that MMC. Currently the
only way to get wireless back online is to reboot after which all is well
again.

Interestingly, browsing to the adaptor properties shows the option to
Enable…but nothing happens when you try this. Disabling via DeviceManager
and re-enabling hangs the console. I’ve tried everything else I can think
of. The Intel wireless tools run their tests and show the driver loaded and
hardware enabled, but sits for a long time on the Radio Test with no result.
Explorer.exe will stop working if I run these tests, upon resuming the
desktop shows the red cross against the adaptor (and even my battery as being
flat.)

The event logs are pretty useless; the resume from sleep time shows no
related errors for networking.

This is an example of a pooooor OS, reliability is not a strong point. Does
anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this issue, suggestions welcomed?

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------

Logs in order oldest to newest from event viewer: (see last event in
particular).

Log Name: System
Source: BROWSER
Date: 06/09/2008 22:31:01
Event ID: 8033
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The browser has forced an election on network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2369E8EC-7E09-4E02-88D8-1AE4691B0849} because a master
browser was stopped.

-----------------------

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 06/09/2008 22:31:01
Event ID: 42
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The system is entering sleep.
------------------------

Log Name: System
Source: Tcpip
Date: 06/09/2008 22:31:01
Event ID: 4202
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was
disconnected from the network and its network configuration has been
released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that
it has malfunctioned. Try updating the driver for the network adapter.

-------------------------

Log Name: System
Source: NETw5v32
Date: 07/09/2008 10:23:11
Event ID: 7036
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The \Device\NDMP13 service entered the Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
state.
-------------------------

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 07/09/2008 11:27:14
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20) from address
LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the
Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM"
Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>79631</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Stu-XPS</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
<Data Name="param6">NETWORK SERVICE</Data>
<Data Name="param7">S-1-5-20</Data>
<Data Name="param8">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Stuscotland

Re: Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure
I'll give it a go - neither option was ticked for allowing to put into sleep
or wake etc.

Would have thought they'd have the driver setup already to work in line with
hibernation

MCSE/MCP

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> [...]
> > <Level>2</Level>
> > <Task>0</Task>
> > <Opcode>0</Opcode>
> > <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
> > <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-07T10:27:14.000Z" />
> > <EventRecordID>79631</EventRecordID>
> > <Correlation />
> > <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
> > <Channel>System</Channel>
> > <Computer>Stu-XPS</Computer>
> > <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
> > </System>
> > <EventData>
> > <Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
> > <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
> > <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
> > <Data Name="param4">{A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206}</Data>
> > <Data Name="param5">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
> > <Data Name="param6">NETWORK SERVICE</Data>
> > <Data Name="param7">S-1-5-20</Data>
> > <Data Name="param8">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>

Michael Walraven

Re: Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure
You were talking of sleep mode in original post?
I expect it would have worked from hibernate because it is a full power up
condition.
If the wireless card is not working from restore from hibernation then my
suggestion is probably bogus.

> [...]
>> > <Version>0</Version>
>> > <Level>2</Level>
>> > <Task>0</Task>
>> > <Opcode>0</Opcode>
>> > <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
>> > <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-07T10:27:14.000Z" />
>> > <EventRecordID>79631</EventRecordID>
>> > <Correlation />
>> > <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
>> > <Channel>System</Channel>
>> > <Computer>Stu-XPS</Computer>
>> > <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
>> > </System>
>> > <EventData>
>> > <Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
>> > <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
>> > <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
>> > <Data Name="param4">{A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206}</Data>
>> > <Data Name="param5">NT AUTHORITY</Data>

Stuscotland

Re: Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure
No sorry, it was my inaccuracy in the terminology - problem is sleep mode
only. Will update the post later with the result. Cheers.

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> You were talking of sleep mode in original post?
> I expect it would have worked from hibernate because it is a full power up
> condition.
> If the wireless card is not working from restore from hibernation then my
> suggestion is probably bogus.
>

> Michael
>

> "Stuscotland" <Stuscotland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'll give it a go - neither option was ticked for allowing to put into
> > sleep
> > or wake etc.
> >
> > Would have thought they'd have the driver setup already to work in line
> > with
> > hibernation

> > MCSE/MCP
> >

> > "Michael Walraven" wrote:
> >
> >> A thing to check.
> >> Under status for your wireless network adapter
> >> Properties
> >> Configure
> >> Power Management Tab
> >>
> >> check the status of 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save
> >> power'
> >> I think that it should be checked, that lets the computer turn it off
> >> when
> >> going to sleep, knowing that it was turned off the system then turns it
> >> back
> >> on and restarts it when it wakes up. That is my theory anyway. At least
> >> try
> >> changing it from whatever it currently is set to.
> >>
> >> Michael

Pavel A.

Re: Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure
AFAIK this is a known issue and a driver update should be available.
If you indeed have latest 4965 driver and BIOS, please contact Dell
support.

--PA

> No sorry, it was my inaccuracy in the terminology - problem is sleep mode
> only. Will update the post later with the result. Cheers.
>

> "Michael Walraven" wrote:
>
>> You were talking of sleep mode in original post?
>> I expect it would have worked from hibernate because it is a full power
>> up
>> condition.
>> If the wireless card is not working from restore from hibernation then my
>> suggestion is probably bogus.
>>

>> Michael
>>

>> "Stuscotland" <Stuscotland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'll give it a go - neither option was ticked for allowing to put into
>> > sleep
>> > or wake etc.
>> >
>> > Would have thought they'd have the driver setup already to work in line
>> > with
>> > hibernation

>> > MCSE/MCP

Stuscotland

Re: Resume From Sleep: Wirelss Adapter Failure
Pavel

http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-025408.htm

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Driver version 12.0.0.82

Driver date 08/07/2008

Driver/BIOS all latest version. Previous suggestion below unsuccesful, will
attempt to open a support call though i'm likely to be forced through the
usual hoops.

Cheers