Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day

husky86

Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
About 3-4 times each and every day I'm losing my Internet connection. This
situation only lasts for about 1-2 minutes at a time, then everything is back
up and running. (This is a cable Internet connection in a home office, by the
way.)

I was actually on the phone with my ISP during one of these instances. The
tech support rep on the other end of the line was actually able to check
whether or not I was losing my actual cable signal during this outage. I was
informed that everything was working perfectly; the technician was able to
send and receive information to my cable Internet modem. I was informed that
all signals were strong and that everything was perfectly fine with regard to
the signal. But at the same time I had no ability to access the Internet on
my end.

I was informed by this same technician that it was most probably one or a
combination of the following: (1) a piece of spyware operating in the
background, (2) my anti-spyware and/or antivirus program operating in the
background (especially checking for updates), or (3) some other piece of
software that was checking for updates, which can cause signal interference.

The technical specs of my desktop system are: Windows Vista Ultimate
(Service Pack 1), Intel Core2 Extreme Q6850 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM, 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Raptor, 1 TB Hitachi internal, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI, NVIDIA
GeForce 8800 Ultra.

Here's what I've done to address the problem:

1. Ran a complete virus check. No problems found.
2. Ran a complete root kit test. No problems found.
3. Ran test for spyware. None found.
4. Turned off automatic updating for virus and spyware (suggested by the
manufacturer -- PC Tools). I'm running ThreatFire. No difference when
automatic updating was turned off.
5. Made sure I have the latest network driver, latest video card driver
(just in case), latest updates from Microsoft, etc.

I have been told by my ISP technicians that various programs checking for
automatic updates can often cause serious latency issues; not exactly sure if
this is true.....? If so, I have a number of programs that would be checking
for automatic updates. Does this mean that I need to go into the Preferences
section of each and every one of these programs and turn off automatic
updating? Or am I heading down the wrong road here (have I received bad
advice)?

Any info/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Barb Bowman

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
what brand and model cable modem?
what brand and model router?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
Toshiba cable modem. DLink router.

Thanks!

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what brand and model cable modem?
> what brand and model router?
>
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 01:47:03 -0700, husky86
> <husky86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >About 3-4 times each and every day I'm losing my Internet connection. This
> >situation only lasts for about 1-2 minutes at a time, then everything is back
> >up and running. (This is a cable Internet connection in a home office, by the
> >way.)
> >
> >I was actually on the phone with my ISP during one of these instances. The
> >tech support rep on the other end of the line was actually able to check
> >whether or not I was losing my actual cable signal during this outage. I was
> >informed that everything was working perfectly; the technician was able to
> >send and receive information to my cable Internet modem. I was informed that
> >all signals were strong and that everything was perfectly fine with regard to
> >the signal. But at the same time I had no ability to access the Internet on
> >my end.
> >
> >I was informed by this same technician that it was most probably one or a
> >combination of the following: (1) a piece of spyware operating in the
> >background, (2) my anti-spyware and/or antivirus program operating in the
> >background (especially checking for updates), or (3) some other piece of
> >software that was checking for updates, which can cause signal interference.
> >
> >The technical specs of my desktop system are: Windows Vista Ultimate
> >(Service Pack 1), Intel Core2 Extreme Q6850 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM, 10,000 RPM
> >Western Digital Raptor, 1 TB Hitachi internal, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI, NVIDIA
> >GeForce 8800 Ultra.
> >
> >Here's what I've done to address the problem:
> >
> >1. Ran a complete virus check. No problems found.
> >2. Ran a complete root kit test. No problems found.
> >3. Ran test for spyware. None found.
> >4. Turned off automatic updating for virus and spyware (suggested by the
> >manufacturer -- PC Tools). I'm running ThreatFire. No difference when
> >automatic updating was turned off.
> >5. Made sure I have the latest network driver, latest video card driver
> >(just in case), latest updates from Microsoft, etc.
> >
> >I have been told by my ISP technicians that various programs checking for
> >automatic updates can often cause serious latency issues; not exactly sure if
> >this is true.....? If so, I have a number of programs that would be checking
> >for automatic updates. Does this mean that I need to go into the Preferences
> >section of each and every one of these programs and turn off automatic
> >updating? Or am I heading down the wrong road here (have I received bad
> >advice)?
> >
> >Any info/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
Very sorry that I did not include the model number on both of those pieces of
equipment. I went ahead and backed away from the computer for a few minutes
after starting my reply, came back and hit return like I was all finished and
then forgot about putting in the model number.

So here you go: D-Link 701P for the router, the Toshiba modem is model PCX2600

Thanks!

"husky86" wrote:

> [...]
> > >automatic updates can often cause serious latency issues; not exactly sure if
> > >this is true.....? If so, I have a number of programs that would be checking
> > >for automatic updates. Does this mean that I need to go into the Preferences
> > >section of each and every one of these programs and turn off automatic
> > >updating? Or am I heading down the wrong road here (have I received bad
> > >advice)?
> > >
> > >Any info/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

> > --
> >
> > Barb Bowman
> > MS-MVP
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Barb Bowman

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
I doubt that this router properly works with Vista. It's circa 2001
and D-Link stop updates for it 6 years ago -
http://www.support.dlink.com/product...uctid=DI%2D701

My advice is to replace the router.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:17:00 -0700, husky86

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
One follow-up question:

In looking on different manufacturer's websites -- Linksys, for example --
I'm noticing that some wired routers' data sheets state that they work with
platforms including Windows 2000 and Windows XP (but not Vista) while other
routers data sheets state nothing of the sort (no information with regard to
OS specifications). Why is this?

By the way, we are thinking about going with wired versus wireless because
of the cost difference and simply because our home is already wired. Also, we
don't want to take the chance of our neighbors potentially picking up on our
signal (our neighbors are fairly close). (But then again, maybe the current
technology makes such security concerns hopelessly outdated.) If you think we
are making a mistake by going with wired versus wireless, please let me know
your thoughts.

I'm assuming that I need to make sure that I purchase a router that states
clearly that it will work with Windows Vista?

Thanks again.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I doubt that this router properly works with Vista. It's circa 2001
> and D-Link stop updates for it 6 years ago -
> http://www.support.dlink.com/product...uctid=DI%2D701
>
> My advice is to replace the router.
>
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:17:00 -0700, husky86
> <husky86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > D-Link 701P for the router

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
Barb,

Go ahead and ignore that previous post with respect to the question about
platform compatibility. I already contacted the company directly to get
information -- thanks.

But if you would like to weigh in on the wired versus wireless question,
that would be great. =)

"husky86" wrote:

> One follow-up question:
>
> In looking on different manufacturer's websites -- Linksys, for example --
> I'm noticing that some wired routers' data sheets state that they work with
> platforms including Windows 2000 and Windows XP (but not Vista) while other
> routers data sheets state nothing of the sort (no information with regard to
> OS specifications). Why is this?
>
> By the way, we are thinking about going with wired versus wireless because
> of the cost difference and simply because our home is already wired. Also, we
> don't want to take the chance of our neighbors potentially picking up on our
> signal (our neighbors are fairly close). (But then again, maybe the current
> technology makes such security concerns hopelessly outdated.) If you think we
> are making a mistake by going with wired versus wireless, please let me know
> your thoughts.
>
> I'm assuming that I need to make sure that I purchase a router that states
> clearly that it will work with Windows Vista?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
> > I doubt that this router properly works with Vista. It's circa 2001
> > and D-Link stop updates for it 6 years ago -
> > http://www.support.dlink.com/product...uctid=DI%2D701
> >
> > My advice is to replace the router.
> >
> > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:17:00 -0700, husky86
> > <husky86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > D-Link 701P for the router

> > --
> >
> > Barb Bowman
> > MS-MVP
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

+Bob+

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:53:01 -0700, husky86
<husky86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Barb,
>
>Go ahead and ignore that previous post with respect to the question about
>platform compatibility. I already contacted the company directly to get
>information -- thanks.

Unfortunately MS chose to make the default that Vista takes advantage
of some late changes to the protocols and to not make Vista as
backwards compatible as it could be. So, XP has better connectivity
(and they call Vista an "improvement". LOL).

>But if you would like to weigh in on the wired versus wireless question,
>that would be great. =)

Wireless connections are secure as long as you set the router to use
WPA security with a reasonably difficult key (password). If you are
already wired, or have systems that are hard wired, you can continue
to use those - but wireless is a nice convenience.

As for a "vista compatible" router, good luck. The half dozen that are
on the Vista list are not sold in retail stores and/or not used by
ISP's. Buy something popular and there will be plenty of support for
it out in the real world.

You could look for a
husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
Thanks for the info, Bob.

Here's an additional follow-up question -- one that will tell you just how
long it's been since the last time we even thought about purchasing a router:

I'm assuming that with a wireless router you need computers that are hooked
up with WiFi cards? One of our computers does have a WiFi card, the other
doesn't.

Thanks!

"+Bob+" wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:53:01 -0700, husky86
> <husky86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Barb,
> >
> >Go ahead and ignore that previous post with respect to the question about
> >platform compatibility. I already contacted the company directly to get
> >information -- thanks.
> >

> Unfortunately MS chose to make the default that Vista takes advantage
> of some late changes to the protocols and to not make Vista as
> backwards compatible as it could be. So, XP has better connectivity
> (and they call Vista an "improvement". LOL).
>
> >But if you would like to weigh in on the wired versus wireless question,
> >that would be great. =)

> Wireless connections are secure as long as you set the router to use
> WPA security with a reasonably difficult key (password). If you are
> already wired, or have systems that are hard wired, you can continue
> to use those - but wireless is a nice convenience.
>
> As for a "vista compatible" router, good luck. The half dozen that are
> on the Vista list are not sold in retail stores and/or not used by
> ISP's. Buy something popular and there will be plenty of support for
> it out in the real world.
>

> You could look for a

husky86

Re: Losing Internet Connection A Few Times Each Day
I completely bypassed the router today, yet the problem has occurred on 2
separate occasions. Most recently it occurred for about 3 minutes (this was
within just the last 30 minutes).

So it's got to be something besides the router. But what is strange is that
ever since I have bypassed the router, the problem has decreased
significantly -- again, occurring only 2 times today.

Looking forward to any ideas. Thanks!