Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Public Folder Sharing between Vista laptops

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008
Warren
 

Posts: n/a
Public Folder Sharing between Vista laptops
I've been fighting this for days. I thought it should be simple but it
doesn't seem so.

I've enbled Public File sharing, and declared the Public folder shared. I
figure this should give users on both computers access to each other's
Public folder ? If the damn LAN behaves I can get to the Public folder, so I
think this is correct.

Now this Permissions business has me baffled. Supposedly you create user
accounts of the same type and name on each computer (**** & Jane). What I
can't figure out is how to configure PC1 to permit **** on PC2 access to a
file crreated in the Public folder by **** or Jane on PC1. **** on PC1 is
not necessarily the same guy as **** on PC2 and I am not permitted to enter
**** on PC2 in the list of users permitted access to PC1 (I can only add PC1
names)

Or do home networks just assume that all user names are unique identifiers ?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2008
Warren
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Public Folder Sharing between Vista laptops
Think I had an IP reognition problem, not a permissives problem. I wouldn't
mind some clarification aroud Permissives however.


"Warren" <fakeaddress@fakemail.com> wrote in message
news:%23GlR95GEJHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I've been fighting this for days. I thought it should be simple but it
> doesn't seem so.
>
> I've enbled Public File sharing, and declared the Public folder shared. I
> figure this should give users on both computers access to each other's
> Public folder ? If the damn LAN behaves I can get to the Public folder, so
> I think this is correct.
>
> Now this Permissions business has me baffled. Supposedly you create user
> accounts of the same type and name on each computer (**** & Jane). What I
> can't figure out is how to configure PC1 to permit **** on PC2 access to a
> file crreated in the Public folder by **** or Jane on PC1. **** on PC1 is
> not necessarily the same guy as **** on PC2 and I am not permitted to
> enter **** on PC2 in the list of users permitted access to PC1 (I can only
> add PC1 names)
>
> Or do home networks just assume that all user names are unique identifiers
> ?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Public Folder Sharing between Vista laptops
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.

Permissions/Share info is there as well.
A very good article.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia


"Warren" wrote:

> Think I had an IP reognition problem, not a permissives problem. I wouldn't
> mind some clarification aroud Permissives however.
>
>
> "Warren" <fakeaddress@fakemail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23GlR95GEJHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > I've been fighting this for days. I thought it should be simple but it
> > doesn't seem so.
> >
> > I've enbled Public File sharing, and declared the Public folder shared. I
> > figure this should give users on both computers access to each other's
> > Public folder ? If the damn LAN behaves I can get to the Public folder, so
> > I think this is correct.
> >
> > Now this Permissions business has me baffled. Supposedly you create user
> > accounts of the same type and name on each computer (**** & Jane). What I
> > can't figure out is how to configure PC1 to permit **** on PC2 access to a
> > file crreated in the Public folder by **** or Jane on PC1. **** on PC1 is
> > not necessarily the same guy as **** on PC2 and I am not permitted to
> > enter **** on PC2 in the list of users permitted access to PC1 (I can only
> > add PC1 names)
> >
> > Or do home networks just assume that all user names are unique identifiers
> > ?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2008
Warren
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Public Folder Sharing between Vista laptops
Yes that's a pretty good article. Thank you.

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:40867C41-586D-4034-A250-A711B848D5BE@microsoft.com...
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
>
> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
> A very good article.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>
>
> "Warren" wrote:
>
>> Think I had an IP reognition problem, not a permissives problem. I
>> wouldn't
>> mind some clarification aroud Permissives however.
>>
>>
>> "Warren" <fakeaddress@fakemail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23GlR95GEJHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> > I've been fighting this for days. I thought it should be simple but it
>> > doesn't seem so.
>> >
>> > I've enbled Public File sharing, and declared the Public folder shared.
>> > I
>> > figure this should give users on both computers access to each other's
>> > Public folder ? If the damn LAN behaves I can get to the Public folder,
>> > so
>> > I think this is correct.
>> >
>> > Now this Permissions business has me baffled. Supposedly you create
>> > user
>> > accounts of the same type and name on each computer (**** & Jane).
>> > What I
>> > can't figure out is how to configure PC1 to permit **** on PC2 access
>> > to a
>> > file crreated in the Public folder by **** or Jane on PC1. **** on PC1
>> > is
>> > not necessarily the same guy as **** on PC2 and I am not permitted to
>> > enter **** on PC2 in the list of users permitted access to PC1 (I can
>> > only
>> > add PC1 names)
>> >
>> > Or do home networks just assume that all user names are unique
>> > identifiers
>> > ?

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing public folder but not other files Leigh microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 01-08-2008 12:18
Public folder sharing sardon microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 12-21-2007 22:58
sharing public folder Tiffany microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 11-15-2007 10:31
Public Folder v Sharing Rat_uk microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 08-03-2007 07:02
Remove Public directory after disable Public Folder Sharing =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBB?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 02-17-2007 18:19




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:58.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120