Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN

Jean

Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN
I've just set up first network with one WIN98SE PC, one network storage
adapter connecting USB HDD, two Vista laptops and a Gaming Bridge connecting
a satellite TV receiver. I can share files between all computers, share the
scanner & printer direct wired to my WIN98SE PC and surf the Internet at
fantastic speed on all three computers. The network HDD and WIN98SE PC are
wired to router while the Gaming Bridge and two Vista laptops use wireless
G.

Sounds good doesn't it, but it's not. It takes forever to get these
different devices talking to each other (15-30 minutes) with lots of error
messages about "no such devive name". The exception is router access to the
Internet is excellent from all PC's with no delay.

What is wrong and how do I fix this problem with peer-to-peer connectivity ?
I have configured all firewalls to permit file sharing etc and have even
shut all firewalls off on all machines but the peers are still very slow to
recognize each other.

Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong, or is this typical for home networks
?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN
It could be name resolution or computer browser issue. You may try to access
each other using IP address, net use h:
\\remotepcipaddress\sharedfodlername.
Computer Browser
You may try to use browstat.exe from NT resource kit to check the
master browser status. Or stop computer browser on w2k/xp. ...
www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Jean" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just set up first network with one WIN98SE PC, one network storage
> adapter connecting USB HDD, two Vista laptops and a Gaming Bridge
> connecting a satellite TV receiver. I can share files between all
> computers, share the scanner & printer direct wired to my WIN98SE PC and
> surf the Internet at fantastic speed on all three computers. The network
> HDD and WIN98SE PC are wired to router while the Gaming Bridge and two
> Vista laptops use wireless G.
>
> Sounds good doesn't it, but it's not. It takes forever to get these
> different devices talking to each other (15-30 minutes) with lots of error
> messages about "no such devive name". The exception is router access to
> the Internet is excellent from all PC's with no delay.
>
> What is wrong and how do I fix this problem with peer-to-peer connectivity
> ? I have configured all firewalls to permit file sharing etc and have even
> shut all firewalls off on all machines but the peers are still very slow
> to recognize each other.
>
> Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong, or is this typical for home
> networks ?

Warren

Re: Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN
Well I seem to get into lots of touble creating static IP's so i'll stay
away from that.

But this computer browser sounds pretty hairy. I hope MS doesn't expect the
average Joe to understand this stuff.

I need some direction, not just left on my own to figure this thing out.

Thanks in advance.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> It could be name resolution or computer browser issue. You may try to
> access each other using IP address, net use h:
> \\remotepcipaddress\sharedfodlername.
> Computer Browser
> You may try to use browstat.exe from NT resource kit to check the
> master browser status. Or stop computer browser on w2k/xp. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Jean" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've just set up first network with one WIN98SE PC, one network storage
>> adapter connecting USB HDD, two Vista laptops and a Gaming Bridge
>> connecting a satellite TV receiver. I can share files between all
>> computers, share the scanner & printer direct wired to my WIN98SE PC and
>> surf the Internet at fantastic speed on all three computers. The network
>> HDD and WIN98SE PC are wired to router while the Gaming Bridge and two
>> Vista laptops use wireless G.
>>
>> Sounds good doesn't it, but it's not. It takes forever to get these
>> different devices talking to each other (15-30 minutes) with lots of
>> error messages about "no such devive name". The exception is router
>> access to the Internet is excellent from all PC's with no delay.
>>
>> What is wrong and how do I fix this problem with peer-to-peer
>> connectivity ? I have configured all firewalls to permit file sharing etc
>> and have even shut all firewalls off on all machines but the peers are
>> still very slow to recognize each other.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong, or is this typical for home
>> networks ?

Warren

Re: Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN
Progress at last ! The Vista machines can finally see each other's Public
folders.

During the day of testing it became apparent that the most serious problem
was Vista seeing Vista. This got me to thinking about an MS knowledge base
article I ran across about Vista having trouble finding IP addresses with
certain DHCP servers that do not support the Broadcast flag in DHCP
discovery packets. I was pretty sure my router did support the Broadcast
flag, but I tried the fix and it solved the problem.

Now we'll see if I can backup my laptops over the network to a network HDD,
now that IP recognition is smoother

"Warren" <fakeaddress@fakemail.com> wrote in message
> Well I seem to get into lots of touble creating static IP's so i'll stay
> away from that.
>
> But this computer browser sounds pretty hairy. I hope MS doesn't expect
> the average Joe to understand this stuff.
>
> I need some direction, not just left on my own to figure this thing out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> It could be name resolution or computer browser issue. You may try to
>> access each other using IP address, net use h:
>> \\remotepcipaddress\sharedfodlername.
>> Computer Browser
>> You may try to use browstat.exe from NT resource kit to check the
>> master browser status. Or stop computer browser on w2k/xp. ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Jean" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just set up first network with one WIN98SE PC, one network storage
>>> adapter connecting USB HDD, two Vista laptops and a Gaming Bridge
>>> connecting a satellite TV receiver. I can share files between all
>>> computers, share the scanner & printer direct wired to my WIN98SE PC and
>>> surf the Internet at fantastic speed on all three computers. The
>>> network HDD and WIN98SE PC are wired to router while the Gaming Bridge
>>> and two Vista laptops use wireless G.
>>>
>>> Sounds good doesn't it, but it's not. It takes forever to get these
>>> different devices talking to each other (15-30 minutes) with lots of
>>> error messages about "no such devive name". The exception is router
>>> access to the Internet is excellent from all PC's with no delay.
>>>
>>> What is wrong and how do I fix this problem with peer-to-peer
>>> connectivity ? I have configured all firewalls to permit file sharing
>>> etc and have even shut all firewalls off on all machines but the peers
>>> are still very slow to recognize each other.
>>>
>>> Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong, or is this typical for home
>>> networks ?

Warren

Re: Peer-to-Peer recognition "slow" on Home LAN
Well networking is still tough between Vista machines. Maybe I need to try
an new router, from the Vista age.