Mac not connecting to my Vista PC

skorned is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mac not connecting to my Vista PC
Ok i have a vista ultimate pc, connected by ethernet to a netgear router. The router also has wifi, via which my Macbook pro is connected. Both get proper internet access. both computers have sharing switched on, and i can access my mac shares from my pc. However, it isnt working the other way round. In finder, i click on connect to server, enter smb://192.168.1.3 ( my PC's ip), and click connect. However it gives me an error saying 'Could not connect to the server because the name or password is incorrect', when i havent even got the popup to enter my login credentials!! Can someone please help?? Additional details below:
Vista connectivity settings:
Network Discovery: On
File Sharing: On
Public Folder Sharing: on(read only)
Printer Sharing: On
Password Protected Sharing: Off
Media Sharing: Off
Workgroup: WORKGROUP

I even tried switching password protected sharing on but to no avail. I installed bonjour for windows but it has been completely and utterly useless. Its so pathetic it doesnt even have any interface at all. Zero-config networking my ***...

Mac settings:
Firewall:
Allow:
Personal File Sharing
Windows Sharing
iChat Bonjour
iTunes Bonjour
iPhoto Bonjour

Active Directory Settings:
SMB/CIFS enabled, v1.3.1
workgroup: WORKGROUP
Bonjour enabled.

Network Details:
Netgear Wifi Router, 192.168.1.2 ( i dunno why it isnt on 1, but it just isnt), connected to:
My Isp's modem via ethernet cable,
My Vista pc via ethernet cable at 192.168.1.3 (bcoz my pc doesnt have wifi)
My macbook via wifi, at 192.168.1.4
Someone please please help as this is getting really irritating.

Last edited by skorned : 09-03-2008 at 20:30.
Malke

Re: Mac not connecting to my Vista PC
skorned wrote:

> Ok i have a vista ultimate pc, connected by ethernet to a netgear
> router. The router also has wifi, via which my Macbook pro is connected.
> Both get proper internet access. both computers have sharing switched
> on, and i can access my mac shares from my pc. However, it isnt working
> the other way round. In finder, i click on connect to server, enter
> smb://192.168.1.3 ( my PC's ip), and click connect. However it gives me
> an error saying 'Could not connect to the server because the name or
> password is incorrect', when i havent even got the popup to enter my
> login credentials!! Can someone please help?? Additional details below:
> Vista connectivity settings:
> Network Discovery: On
> File Sharing: On
> Public Folder Sharing: on(read only)
> Printer Sharing: On
> Password Protected Sharing: Off
> Media Sharing: Off
> Workgroup: WORKGROUP
>
> I even tried switching password protected sharing on but to no avail. I
> installed bonjour for windows but it has been completely and utterly
> useless. Its so pathetic it doesnt even have any interface at all.
> Zero-config networking my ***...
>
> Mac settings:
> Firewall:
> Allow:
> Personal File Sharing
> Windows Sharing
> iChat Bonjour
> iTunes Bonjour
> iPhoto Bonjour
>
> Active Directory Settings:
> SMB/CIFS enabled, v1.3.1
> workgroup: WORKGROUP
> Bonjour enabled.
>
> Network Details:
> Netgear Wifi Router, 192.168.1.2 ( i dunno why it isnt on 1, but it
> just isnt), connected to:
> My Isp's modem via ethernet cable,
> My Vista pc via ethernet cable at 192.168.1.3 (bcoz my pc doesnt have
> wifi)
> My macbook via wifi, at 192.168.1.4
> Someone please please help as this is getting really irritating.

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

In addition to the above, make sure that you've correctly configured your
firewall in Vista. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local
Area Network (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means
allowing File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running
a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

skorned is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya thanks for your suggestions...
Firstly, i'm using tiger, and typing in 'smb:\\192...' pretty much ensures that i'm using smb not afp...I read about having the same user passwords somewhere, but forgot completely about the same username as well...i'll check that out and get back to you, although it is a very very stupid requirement.
and yes, i already have autologin set up, i think i used that microsoft powertool for it.
and about configuring the firewalls, i'm not quite sure as to how to go about it. windows sharing is enabled in the mac, and the local network is set up as private, with file and printer sharing enabled.
and about the lanman settings, i already read that somewhere else and tried it. turns out it was already set to what you recommended, but the other article said that you should set it to the bare minimum, that is, 'use lm and ntlm only'.
and yes, i'm not running any other firewall besides the windows built-in one, although i recently switched to nod32 antivirus coz my kaspersky license got over, so that might be the problem. i'll check it out. although its highly unlikely that the LAN is blocked since i am able to access my mac from the pc, although it might be blocking only inbound connections.
and btw, are you sure that just having an account with the same credentials on both computers will let it log in? That is actually quite an insecure method of connecting and could be so badly exploited, since the computers will be sending each other all their accounts and passwords. but that will save me some effort right now of having to change my password and configuring the auto-login again.

Last edited by skorned : 09-04-2008 at 14:02.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mac not connecting to my Vista PC
Sounds like Security Signature issue. The link talks about windows 2008 and
Mac sharing, but it is similar issue.

Windows and Mac Sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/winissues/win&mac.htm

--