networking xp to vista

ronseg

networking xp to vista
I have a Win xp machine and a Win Vista machine. The vista sees and prints
through the xp but the xp can not get logged into the vista machine. The
error message I get is:
\\ron-pc is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Login failure: The user has not been granted the requested
login type at this computer.
I have granted myself full control and everything else I can think of. I'm
probably missing something stupid, but I am at a loss. I can't map the drive
on the xp machine or anything else. Step by step help would be appreciated.
Once again, the vista machine sees the xp, but the xp, although it sees the
vista machine, will not let me on to the c drive. Thanks, ron
Malke

Re: networking xp to vista
ronseg wrote:

> I have a Win xp machine and a Win Vista machine. The vista sees and prints
> through the xp but the xp can not get logged into the vista machine. The
> error message I get is:
> \\ron-pc is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Login failure: The user has not been granted the
> requested login type at this computer.
> I have granted myself full control and everything else I can think of. I'm
> probably missing something stupid, but I am at a loss. I can't map the
> drive on the xp machine or anything else. Step by step help would be
> appreciated. Once again, the vista machine sees the xp, but the xp,
> although it sees the vista machine, will not let me on to the c drive.
> Thanks, ron

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ronseg

Re: networking xp to vista
Unfortunately I have already done all of this. I rechecked everything and
there has been no change. My xp computer sees the vista and shows the C:
drive. When I attempt to get onto the C: drive I get the error message that I
listed below. I can not gain access to the files!

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]

> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
> directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Location: Temecula, California
TheBoozer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you can see the C drive from your XP machine, then it is a "Permissions" and "Sharing" issue and I have been through it. Right click the C derive on the Vista machine, go to properties and first allow sharing of the C drive. Then go Security and make sure that Full Control is given to "Everyone". This is a bit tricky since you may have to creat a user group called Everyone. You may also have to take Ownership of the C drive and its subfolders. Make sure that Vista's firewall allows the XP to connect to it.

Good luck
Mick Murphy

Re: networking xp to vista
Have a read of the info below. Hope it helps.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"ronseg" wrote:

> [...]

> > assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> > need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> > PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> > to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> > can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
> >
> > Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
> >
> > D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
> > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
> >
> > E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
> > directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> > directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
> > See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Mick Murphy wrote:

(snippage)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network)
> If you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you
> try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.

Password Protected should be ON and yes, one should set up identical user
accounts AND passwords on all computers. If it is ON and the identical user
accounts/passwords are created, one will NOT be asked for the
username/password as you write below. Sharing will be seamless and
invisible to the end user because authentication is done locally and since
the user account requesting the shared resource is known to the local
machine, credentials will NOT be requested.

Malke

ronseg wrote:

> Unfortunately I have already done all of this. I rechecked everything and
> there has been no change. My xp computer sees the vista and shows the C:
> drive. When I attempt to get onto the C: drive I get the error message
> that I listed below. I can not gain access to the files!

If you are getting an "access denied" error then you haven't configured your
firewalls correctly, are unwittingly running two firewalls on one machine,
and/or don't have identical user accounts/passwords created on all
machines. The most common reason for the last bit is if someone changed the
name of a user account cosmetically. The example would be if the user
account is *really* "Owner" or "HP Admin" or the like and the end user
renamed the account to "Ron". The user account is still "Owner" and not
"Ron" and no match is made. Therefore authentication fails. You also didn't
mention what version of XP you have. Again, if you have XP Pro or Media
Center, turn off Simple File Sharing from Folder Options>View tab.

Check again.

Malke

TheBoozer wrote:

> Since you can see the C drive from your XP machine, then it is a
> "Permissions" and "Sharing" issue and I have been through it. Right
> click the C derive on the Vista machine, go to properties and first
> allow sharing of the C drive. Then go Security and make sure that Full
> Control is given to "Everyone". This is a bit tricky since you may have
> to creat a user group called Everyone. You may also have to take
> Ownership of the C drive and its subfolders. Make sure that Vista's
> firewall allows the XP to connect to it.

Well put, although there is no necessity to create an "Everyone" group since
that's a built-in group. The only thing I would add is if the OP has XP
Home, he won't see the Sharing & Security tabs in Regular Mode and will
need to go into Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ronseg

Re: networking xp to vista
I'm sorry but nothing helps. I checked my user accounts again, My xp has Ron
comuter administrator and my vista has Ron administrator as the user account.
I have xp media and I have turned off simple file sharing. I do not have two
firewalls, just windows firewall. Any other ideas? I also have an old laptop
running Win 98, it sees my vista but can't log on either. Select user group
and effective permission on the vista share/security tap appears to be a
problem. What should this be?

ronseg wrote:

> I'm sorry but nothing helps. I checked my user accounts again, My xp has
> Ron comuter administrator and my vista has Ron administrator as the user
> account.
> I have xp media and I have turned off simple file sharing. I do not have
> two
> firewalls, just windows firewall. Any other ideas? I also have an old
> laptop running Win 98, it sees my vista but can't log on either. Select
> user group and effective permission on the vista share/security tap
> appears to be a problem. What should this be?

Are you trying to share the entire C: drive on Vista, or something on the
root of the drive? That is protected in Vista. If this is what you're
doing, then either put things in Vista's Public folder (which is where they
should go) or do this to enable sharing the root of a drive (not
recommended):

*****
From Michael Bell, MS - When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the
UI only allows this through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced
sharing option is used it only sets the share permissions. The actual
permissions on a file share are a combination of Folder and Share
permissions. In Vista the everyone group doesn't have permissions so when
you connect without a password the system you can see the folders but not
access them or possibly connect to the share but fail to open it.

1. Open Computer
2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the context
menu
3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.

If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.
*****

Malke