Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless

jhartnett305

Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless

Hello All,

I am having a issue trying to network a vista desktop and a xp
laptop wirelessy. It does not communicate other than a simple ping. I
have run into this scenario backwards and it takes right off the bat.
For whatever reason it will not allow to share anything to the laptop
but other Vista Pc's take right away. I thought I tried everything maybe
someone knows another technique. PLease Help (This is my Head cracker)

--
jhartnett305
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless
Have a read of the info below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"jhartnett305" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am having a issue trying to network a vista desktop and a xp
> laptop wirelessy. It does not communicate other than a simple ping. I
> have run into this scenario backwards and it takes right off the bat.
> For whatever reason it will not allow to share anything to the laptop
> but other Vista Pc's take right away. I thought I tried everything maybe
> someone knows another technique. PLease Help (This is my Head cracker)
>

> --
> jhartnett305

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"jhartnett305" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello All,
>
> I am having a issue trying to network a vista desktop and a xp
> laptop wirelessy. It does not communicate other than a simple ping. I
> have run into this scenario backwards and it takes right off the bat.
> For whatever reason it will not allow to share anything to the laptop
> but other Vista Pc's take right away. I thought I tried everything maybe
> someone knows another technique. PLease Help (This is my Head cracker)
>

> --
> jhartnett305

SIW2

Re: Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless

Hi,

In addition to Jack's post, I think there are a couple of things that
might help - I assume you are using xp home on your laptop?

First, xph's name for the network workgroup ( by default ) is Mshome,
which is different from Vista's, which is Workgroup.

To change xph's to match.
Right click MyComputer, click Computer name >Change, then in the
workgroup box, type in Vista's network name ( which is Workgroup by
default ) Ok it, then Ok the box that pops up and restart.

You will need to install Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder on
your xp laptop ( Vista already has LLTD ) and restart.

Your xp laptop should then be accessable on your Vista Network Map. Go
to the Network and Sharing center, View full map.

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Desktop print sharing Xp laptop wireless
SEE??
I CAN be NICE when I put my creaky old mind to it!!!!!!!!!
I'm think I'm getting used to this!!

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia