Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

"Unidentified Network" problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Lenny Jacobs
 

Posts: n/a
"Unidentified Network" problem
Another Vista networking problem:

Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty optainining
an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP when it is initially
turned on. The tray icon reports local access only, unidentified network,
and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If I launch a command prompt
and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew I then get an IP address
from the router. Two other computers running XP SP3 have no problem getting
an IP address via DHCP from the same router.

Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
Hi
The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very old Router, Vista might have problem working
wit it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:%235PiBcQDJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Another Vista networking problem:
>
> Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty optainining
> an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP when it is
> initially turned on. The tray icon reports local access only, unidentified
> network, and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If I launch a
> command prompt and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew I then
> get an IP address from the router. Two other computers running XP SP3 have
> no problem getting an IP address via DHCP from the same router.
>
> Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Lenny Jacobs
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
The BEFSR41 has worked just fine for many months. Linksys still sells this
router and mine is less than a year old. This problem just started
yesterday.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
news:%23Z3dJORDJHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very old Router, Vista might have problem working
> wit it
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:%235PiBcQDJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Another Vista networking problem:
>>
>> Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty
>> optainining an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP when
>> it is initially turned on. The tray icon reports local access only,
>> unidentified network, and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If I
>> launch a command prompt and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
>> I then get an IP address from the router. Two other computers running XP
>> SP3 have no problem getting an IP address via DHCP from the same router.
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
It is an "archived" product. Linksys is not selling it. There are
retailers who are selling this at rock bottom close out prices and
will continue to do so until stock is gone. Take a look at the KB
article Jack pointed out.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:46:39 -0400, "Lenny Jacobs"
<lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote:

>The BEFSR41 has worked just fine for many months. Linksys still sells this
>router and mine is less than a year old. This problem just started
>yesterday.
>
>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>news:%23Z3dJORDJHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very old Router, Vista might have problem working
>> wit it
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> news:%235PiBcQDJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Another Vista networking problem:
>>>
>>> Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty
>>> optainining an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP when
>>> it is initially turned on. The tray icon reports local access only,
>>> unidentified network, and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If I
>>> launch a command prompt and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
>>> I then get an IP address from the router. Two other computers running XP
>>> SP3 have no problem getting an IP address via DHCP from the same router.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

>>

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Lenny Jacobs
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
All of what you say may be true, but this computer worked flawlessly with
this router for many months until yesterday. Something changed in Vista
yesterday that caused this to happen. I have not made any changes to Vista
for over a week. I have never made any registry changes to Vista on this
computer.

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:l70rb4d6ccd1er6d97rm3gqddlqaqng7m9@4ax.com...
> It is an "archived" product. Linksys is not selling it. There are
> retailers who are selling this at rock bottom close out prices and
> will continue to do so until stock is gone. Take a look at the KB
> article Jack pointed out.
>
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:46:39 -0400, "Lenny Jacobs"
> <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>The BEFSR41 has worked just fine for many months. Linksys still sells this
>>router and mine is less than a year old. This problem just started
>>yesterday.
>>
>>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>>news:%23Z3dJORDJHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.. .
>>> Hi
>>> The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very old Router, Vista might have problem
>>> working
>>> wit it
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>>
>>> "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> news:%235PiBcQDJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>> Another Vista networking problem:
>>>>
>>>> Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty
>>>> optainining an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP
>>>> when
>>>> it is initially turned on. The tray icon reports local access only,
>>>> unidentified network, and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If
>>>> I
>>>> launch a command prompt and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig
>>>> /renew
>>>> I then get an IP address from the router. Two other computers running
>>>> XP
>>>> SP3 have no problem getting an IP address via DHCP from the same
>>>> router.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.
>>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2008
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
I don't believe that model was ever certified to work with Vista.
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=710&g=d

You were lucky that it did work for so long.
You can try resetting the router to factory defaults. You can try
the fix Jack suggested at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

If it were me, I'd buy something new and modern.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:36:02 -0400, "Lenny Jacobs"
<lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote:

>All of what you say may be true, but this computer worked flawlessly with
>this router for many months until yesterday. Something changed in Vista
>yesterday that caused this to happen. I have not made any changes to Vista
>for over a week. I have never made any registry changes to Vista on this
>computer.
>
>"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:l70rb4d6ccd1er6d97rm3gqddlqaqng7m9@4ax.com.. .
>> It is an "archived" product. Linksys is not selling it. There are
>> retailers who are selling this at rock bottom close out prices and
>> will continue to do so until stock is gone. Take a look at the KB
>> article Jack pointed out.
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:46:39 -0400, "Lenny Jacobs"
>> <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>The BEFSR41 has worked just fine for many months. Linksys still sells this
>>>router and mine is less than a year old. This problem just started
>>>yesterday.
>>>
>>>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>>>news:%23Z3dJORDJHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl. ..
>>>> Hi
>>>> The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very old Router, Vista might have problem
>>>> working
>>>> wit it
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
>>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>>>
>>>> "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:%235PiBcQDJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Another Vista networking problem:
>>>>>
>>>>> Yesterday my Vista Home Premium laptop began having difficulty
>>>>> optainining an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41) via DHCP
>>>>> when
>>>>> it is initially turned on. The tray icon reports local access only,
>>>>> unidentified network, and falls back to an APIPA (sic), 169 address. If
>>>>> I
>>>>> launch a command prompt and execute ipconfig /release and ipconfig
>>>>> /renew
>>>>> I then get an IP address from the router. Two other computers running
>>>>> XP
>>>>> SP3 have no problem getting an IP address via DHCP from the same
>>>>> router.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.
>>>>

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2008
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:55:42 -0400, Barb Bowman <barb@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I don't believe that model was ever certified to work with Vista.
>http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=710&g=d


The number of routers certified to work with Vista is beyond lame.
None of the routers that people actually use are on this list.

>You were lucky that it did work for so long.


In other words, Vista sucks - the previous generation of Windows (XP)
has better networking capabilities.

>You can try resetting the router to factory defaults. You can try
>the fix Jack suggested at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233


I'd go with Jack's suggestion as a first try.

>If it were me, I'd buy something new and modern.


Obsoleting working hardware and software seems to be MS's goal with
Vista.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2008
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
Many things were added to Vista to improve the overall networking
experience. Most vendors had upgrades for a large number of their
models. There are some work around available. One was offered in a
genuine attempt to help the OP.

Thanks for your opinion.

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:35:14 -0400, +Bob+ <uctraing@ultranet.com>
wrote:

>
>In other words, Vista sucks - the previous generation of Windows (XP)
>has better networking capabilities.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Unidentified Network" problem
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 04:54:46 -0400, Barb Bowman <barb@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Many things were added to Vista to improve the overall networking
>experience.


I think you'd need to puts quotes around "improve" in that statement.

Here are some things that have issues:
- Sleep/Hibernate/Standby mode is now incompatible with most router
- Sleep/Hibernate/Standby mode with connections to shared drives is
incompatible with most and network cards/chips.
- Problems with shared connections are rampant, particularly to other
OS's
- Problems related to the massive global "security" blocks are rampant
- Loss of a shared connection being used in a program server causes
Vista to hang the program and typically the entire system on file
access attempts
- Loss of the network connection hangs Vista. Trying to change from
one network interface to another (wireless to wired) hangs Vista
- Changing from one wireless network to another (physical location
change) causes Vista to fail to connect without significant manual
interaction.
- Allowing network cards to sleep causes significant connection
problems.

While some of these problems can be fixed with a registry hack or the
aforementioned ipconfig/renew, the default is that they don't work in
Vista. None of these problems existed in XP or win2K.

Take a look around this newsgroup. Problems are rampant.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Lan "Unidentified network" can't rename vaderag microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 07-25-2008 00:13
"Unidentified network" on 1gb lan with wireless network running Rob microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 09-20-2007 13:22
"Unidentified network", local but no internet connection. Steve Arrants microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 10 08-29-2007 20:24
Rename "Unidentified network" maheshgv microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 08-09-2007 03:04
RE: "Unidentified network", can't turn on sharing =?Utf-8?B?VkIgUnll?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-27-2007 03:19




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120