Network Discovery Appears to Turn Off

Joleca's Avatar

Joleca is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Network Discovery Appears to Turn Off
First I apologize if this has been mentioned and a solution already posted.. searched, but couldn't find an answer.

I have a home network, desktop running Vista Ultimate with a hard connection to a linksys-n wireless router and a laptop running Vista Home Premium. Network Discovery is on for both computers and the printer is wired to the desktop.

Nothing has changed on desktop or laptop (software or hardware) other than normal Windows updates and network has been up and running for over a year. If the laptop has been re-booted, once I go to the network and click on the desktop name and log in, everything on the desktop is visible and the printer is accessible.

Now, starting a couple of weeks ago, I can see the desktop name on the laptop, but can't connect... says either no permissions or "HOME" has been removed.. I check in the Network and Sharing Center on the desktop and it still says Network Discovery is on. Have tried turning it off and back on again and no change, still can't access from the laptop... BUT, if I re-boot the desktop (without touching anything on the laptop), as soon as I log back in on the desktop and it establishes its network connection, I'm back to seeing and being able to access all the desktop drives and the printer from the laptop.

I've read several posts where Network Discovery has actually turned off, and the poster had to turn back on, but the desktop is never showing that its off and disabling/re-enabling makes no difference.. The only way I'm able to see and connect to anything on the desktop from the laptop is to re-boot the desktop. And, this happens on a daily basis, multiple times a day.. I'll be on the laptop and need a file or want to print and "nothing", I'll have to go into the computer room and re-boot the desktop before I can continue. Then everything works fine until the next time I need to access the desktop or print a few hours later.

Would appreciate any help or solution you can give.
__________________
Joanna

~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Discovery Appears to Turn Off
Sounds like computer browser issue. Can you ping each other when having the
problem?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Joleca" <Joleca.3f3ss3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> First I apologize if this has been mentioned and a solution already
> posted.. searched, but couldn't find an answer.
>
> I have a home network, desktop running Vista Ultimate with a hard
> connection to a linksys-n wireless router and a laptop running Vista
> Home Premium. Network Discovery is on for both computers and the
> printer is wired to the desktop.
>
> Nothing has changed on desktop or laptop (software or hardware) other
> than normal Windows updates and network has been up and running for over
> a year. If the laptop has been re-booted, once I go to the network and
> click on the desktop name and log in, everything on the desktop is
> visible and the printer is accessible.
>
> Now, starting a couple of weeks ago, I can see the desktop name on the
> laptop, but can't connect... says either no permissions or "HOME" has
> been removed.. I check in the Network and Sharing Center on the
> desktop and it still says Network Discovery is on. Have tried turning
> it off and back on again and no change, still can't access from the
> laptop... BUT, if I re-boot the desktop (without touching anything on
> the laptop), as soon as I log back in on the desktop and it establishes
> its network connection, I'm back to seeing and being able to access all
> the desktop drives and the printer from the laptop.
>

> I've read several posts where Network Discovery has actually turned
> off, and the poster had to turn back on, but the desktop is never
> showing that its off and disabling/re-enabling makes no difference..
> The only way I'm able to see and connect to anything on the desktop from
> the laptop is to re-boot the desktop. And, this happens on a daily
> basis, multiple times a day.. I'll be on the laptop and need a file
> or want to print and "nothing", I'll have to go into the computer room
> and re-boot the desktop before I can continue. Then everything works
> fine until the next time I need to access the desktop or print a few
> hours later.
>
> Would appreciate any help or solution you can give.
>

> --
> Joleca
>
> Joanna
>
> ~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~

Joleca's Avatar

Joleca is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding so quickly.. Now, don't mean to be stupid, but how do I go about pinging the laptop from the desktop and vice-versa?

I'm not totally computer illiterate, but my ex built the desktop and wouldn't ever let me touch anything on it (hardware or software).. When I moved a couple of months ago, I took it with me, but other than being in a different physical location, it is exactly as it was the last time he did anything to it.

Everything is hooked up the same (labeled every cable, jack and connection), router is the same, laptop is the same... Only thing I can think of that's changed in the last 3 months are the automatic windows updates... As I mentioned before, previously all I ever had to do was log in with the desktop ID and password if the laptop had been re-booted.. Never had any problem accessing any of the drives or the printer on the desktop.. Now, suddenly (as of a few weeks ago), I'm constantly loosing the connection.. I can go into "network" on the laptop and both the desktop and laptop names are there, but when I click on the desktop "HOME" it sits for a few minutes with a green "progress bar" running at the top of the explorer window and then finally get a pop-up saying either no longer have permissions, "HOME" doesn't exist, etc...

So, hate to ask you to hold my hand on this, but... I need all the help I can get.. Obviously can't go back to my ex and ask him what to do or how to try and fix.

Thanks!
__________________
Joanna

~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Discovery Appears to Turn Off
On each computer, click Start, type cmd and double-click on cmd.exe. In the
command prompt, type ipconfig and press Enter. Write down the IP address for
each computer. Then type ping remotecomputeripaddress
(remotecomputeripadderss is the remote IP adders you just wrote).

--
"Joleca" <Joleca.3f4gcf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for responding so quickly.. Now, don't mean to be stupid, but
> how do I go about pinging the laptop from the desktop and vice-versa?
>
> I'm not totally computer illiterate, but my ex built the desktop and
> wouldn't ever let me touch anything on it (hardware or software)..
> When I moved a couple of months ago, I took it with me, but other than
> being in a different physical location, it is exactly as it was the last
> time he did anything to it.
>
> Everything is hooked up the same (labeled every cable, jack and
> connection), router is the same, laptop is the same... Only thing I
> can think of that's changed in the last 3 months are the automatic
> windows updates... As I mentioned before, previously all I ever had to
> do was log in with the desktop ID and password if the laptop had been
> re-booted.. Never had any problem accessing any of the drives or the
> printer on the desktop.. Now, suddenly (as of a few weeks ago), I'm
> constantly loosing the connection.. I can go into "network" on the
> laptop and both the desktop and laptop names are there, but when I click
> on the desktop "HOME" it sits for a few minutes with a green "progress
> bar" running at the top of the explorer window and then finally get a
> pop-up saying either no longer have permissions, "HOME" doesn't exist,
> etc...
>
> So, hate to ask you to hold my hand on this, but... I need all the
> help I can get.. Obviously can't go back to my ex and ask him what to
> do or how to try and fix.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Joleca
>
> Joanna
>
> ~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~

Joleca's Avatar

Joleca is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob,

Did as you said, ipconfig on both desktop and laptop..

desktop was 192.168.1.100
laptop 192.168.1.104

did not re-boot the desktop before trying to ping and was not able to see the desktop from the laptop..

ping results:

from laptop, ping 192.168.1.100 this was successful??? packets sent 4, packets received 4 (yet unable to see or access any of the drives or the printer).

from the destop, ping 192.168.1.104 Failed! (yet I can access shared files on the laptop from the destop???)

RE-BOOTED the desktop.. now able to access all drives and printers from the laptop (again).. re-tried ping to 192.168.1.104 from the desktop and this time successful... packets sent 4, packets received 4. Did not touch anything on the laptop other than bringing windows explorer and clicking on the desktop name (HOME) under Network to check if drives and printer would display after re-booting the desktop.

Seems strange that I could "ping" the desktop from the laptop when I couldn't access any of the drives or the printer, but at the same time I couldn't "ping" the laptop from the desktop but I could access all my files and documents on the laptop from the desktop..

Hoping you can make some sense of this..

Thanks.

OK, above was posted last night 9/2/08 at 21:55 mdt. is now 9/3/08 at 05:37 mdt and just tried to get to the desktop from the laptop (nothing changed or touched since re-boot of the desktop and sucessful "ping" last night).

I am again unable to access.. The exact error pop-up is as follows:

\\HOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available.

Went and re-booted the desktop (again) and now when I click on HOME under Network on the laptop, I again am able to access as follows:

Canon Inkjet i960
Logbook Pro
Public
Printers

Did not touch anything on the laptop other than to click on HOME again and immediately had access to all 5 drives and the printer connected to the desktop.

Don't know if any of this additional info will help to figure this out, but thought it couldn't hurt.

Thanks again.
__________________
Joanna

~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~

Last edited by Joleca : 09-03-2008 at 12:37.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Discovery Appears to Turn Off
Make sure you have enabled file and printer sharing on both computers. If
you have enabled the sharing, you can't access remote computer or you can
ping but not share, it could be the firewall issue. Or this search result
may help too.
Vista troubleshooting
Resolution of Vista Unidentified Network · Troubleshooting Group
Policy using Event Logs in Vista ... Info: Step by step troubleshooting
VISTA sharing ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm

--
"Joleca" <Joleca.3f584g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi Bob,
>
> Did as you said, ipconfig on both desktop and laptop..
>
> desktop was 192.168.1.100
> laptop 192.168.1.104
>
> did not re-boot the desktop before trying to ping and was not able to
> see the desktop from the laptop..
>
> ping results:
>
> from laptop, ping 192.168.1.100 this was successful??? packets
> sent 4, packets received 4 (yet unable to see or access any of the
> drives or the printer).
>
> from the destop, ping 192.168.1.104 Failed! (yet I can access
> shared files on the laptop from the destop???)
>

> RE-BOOTED the desktop.. now able to access all drives and printers
> from the laptop (again).. re-tried ping to 192.168.1.104 from the
> desktop and this time successful... packets sent 4, packets received
> 4. Did not touch anything on the laptop other than bringing
> windows explorer and clicking on the desktop name (HOME) under Network
> to check if drives and printer would display after re-booting the
> desktop.
>

> Seems strange that I could "ping" the desktop from the laptop when I
> couldn't access any of the drives or the printer, but at the same time
> I couldn't "ping" the laptop from the desktop but I could access all my
> files and documents on the laptop from the desktop..
>
> Hoping you can make some sense of this..
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Joleca
>
> Joanna
>
> ~~~ Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten. ~~~

Joleca's Avatar

Joleca is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob,

Everything on both computers in the Sharing and Discovery Area is on and fully enabled.. Has been all along with no changes. Haven't changed any of the firewall settings either... same as they have been on both computers for over a year.

I've been on the laptop since I added info to my last response a couple of hours ago and just tried accessing HOME via Windows Explorer again, and its still working (since re-boot of desktop at 5:30 this morning). Yet I know if I go and do something else and come back to the laptop later today, I'm going to have to re-boot the desktop again... Doesn't seem like this could be a firewall issue, since if it was, the problem should be happening all the time and not get fixed (temporarily) by re-booting the desktop..

Seems like somehow, some service(s) are turning off, but everything still says its on and working when I look at the Sharing Center and at the Services list from Administrative Tools. Just can't figure out what.

Thanks