Random Network Service Drops

LLLiddle

Random Network Service Drops

I have a home network that recently has begun to act strangely. The
host computer (#1) is hard (ethernet) wired to computers #2 and #3. A
wireless network adapter allows a laptop (#4) to play. The router is a
Netgear WGR614. Computer #1 runs VISTA Home Premium; #2, #3 and #4 run
XPsp2. This network has run smoothly for several months. Recently, I
can intermittently no longer see/access #2, #3 and #4 from the host
computer; i.e., the computers don't appear on the network diagram and
the shared folder on #3 cannot be accessed. Similarly, the host cannot
be seen from #2, #3 or #4, though they all continue to have internet
access through the router.

Spontaneously, this problem resolves itself and all computers and
shared printers and files are available. Rebooting does not cause the
problem to appear or to correct itself. If there's a cause and effect
between something I'm doing and the problem or its resolution, I haven't
a clue as to what it might be. For example, the network was working
fine last evening, but not this morning. (None of the computers had
been rebooted, nor was any new software introduced.)

I note that VISTA itself has begun to act up recently...it won't
hibernate, but cycles between sleep and awake...screen saver software
has stopped working. Other than that, everything seems normal.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this condition will be appreciated.

--
LLLiddle
+Bob+

Re: Random Network Service Drops
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:57:53 -0500, LLLiddle <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Spontaneously, this problem resolves itself and all computers and
>shared printers and files are available. Rebooting does not cause the
>problem to appear or to correct itself. If there's a cause and effect
>between something I'm doing and the problem or its resolution, I haven't
>a clue as to what it might be. For example, the network was working
>fine last evening, but not this morning. (None of the computers had
>been rebooted, nor was any new software introduced.)
>
>I note that VISTA itself has begun to act up recently...it won't
>hibernate, but cycles between sleep and awake...screen saver software
>has stopped working. Other than that, everything seems normal.
>
>Any suggestions on how to resolve this condition will be appreciated.

Go into Power Options and set the Network Card to Max Performance.
Then go into Device Manager and set the network card to never power
down.

See if that helps.
LLLiddle

Re: Random Network Service Drops

I followed your instructions, and it seems to have resolved the issue.
Thanks. Hopefully, the corrective action is permanent.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:27:10 -0500, LLLiddle <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I followed your instructions, and it seems to have resolved the issue.
>Thanks. Hopefully, the corrective action is permanent.

Excellent!