cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,

dave

cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,
I can print from another XP laptop but cannot print from Vista laptop. It
sees the printer on the network but will not print. We were told update would
help but it did not. we should not have to buy a printer server to do this.
barman58

Re: cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,

have a look 'here '
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/17...sta.html)first.
if you still have problems post back and will try to advise further.

the XP PC is a print server so no further hardware is required

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,
Hi
Did you install the Vista drivers of the printer on the Vista computer
through add a network printer configuration?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can print from another XP laptop but cannot print from Vista laptop. It
> sees the printer on the network but will not print. We were told update
> would
> help but it did not. we should not have to buy a printer server to do
> this.

chevell

Re: cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,

Indeed you HAVE to install the drivers for your Printer in the Vista
machine before it will work. This assumes they make drivers for Vista
and your printer, often they do not. Older printers don't always make
drivers for Vista, especially the x64 vesion.

If this is the case there is a work around. Simply share the file
through the network with the XP machine and print from the XP machine.
You will need to allow for file sharing on the network for it to work.

It works for me quite well as my older printer has no drivers for Vista
x64. You will have to manually move the file from a networked and shared
Vista folder to one on the XP machine.

You can print the file from there. Once you get the file sharing set up
it's a very fast process.

--
chevell
C A Dunn

Re: cannot print from vista laptop to XP managed printer,
I had the same problem. I was able to access the internet and share files
but I couldn't print using the printer connected to desktop running XP.
Then, I turned to HP for assistance. They gave me a solution that worked. It
was as follows:
_____________________________
Step : 1
------------

Perform below steps on the Windows XP ( Host computer )

1.Click Start and then Printers and Faxes in Windows XP.

2. Right-click the printer icon for the All-in-One product and select
Sharing on the menu. The Properties will appear with the Sharing tab on top.

3. Click the option to share the printer, and then enter a unique name for
the printer in the Share Name field. Write this name down exactly as it is
entered because it will be required to set up the remote computers.
Click OK to finish the setup.

Step : 2
--------

1. On the host computer, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Select the Computer Name tab.

3.Write down the computer name.

Perform below steps on the Vista computer (Remote computer on the network )

a) Click the Start () icon, click Control Panel, click Hardware & Sounds,
and then click Printers. Launch the "Add a Printer" wizard

b) Choose "Add a local printer"

c) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the
drop down menu

d) Press Next

e) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following: \\Desktop\Printer
where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the
printer
share name from step 3.

f) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"
button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in
list.
It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.

g) Press next

h) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
default.

i) Press Next

j) Print a test page to verify functionality.

k) Press Finish

Now check the functionality.