Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3 mach

Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3 mach
The xp home machine can see the public folders from my vista home prem
machine. I can only get it to see the files from my vista personal account
called (G) if i set the security on the particular folder to everyone. This
means that anyone can access this folder then, which i do not want. If I
remove everyone the error I get when trying to get into the folder from my xp
machine is YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE.
CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR. ACCESS IS DENIED

Please help
Malke

Re: Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3 mach
G wrote:

> The xp home machine can see the public folders from my vista home prem
> machine. I can only get it to see the files from my vista personal account
> called (G) if i set the security on the particular folder to everyone.
> This means that anyone can access this folder then, which i do not want.
> If I remove everyone the error I get when trying to get into the folder
> from my xp machine is YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK
> RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR. ACCESS IS DENIED

Create matching user accounts and passwords. See below.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Mick Murphy

RE: Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3 mach
Some info on Networking XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Malke" wrote:

> G wrote:
>
> > The xp home machine can see the public folders from my vista home prem
> > machine. I can only get it to see the files from my vista personal account
> > called (G) if i set the security on the particular folder to everyone.
> > This means that anyone can access this folder then, which i do not want.
> > If I remove everyone the error I get when trying to get into the folder
> > from my xp machine is YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK
> > RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR. ACCESS IS DENIED

> Create matching user accounts and passwords. See below.
>
> Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
> to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
> File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
> directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Thanks for the reply, i still cannot get to folder on one of my vista
profiles. The profile is called G and I am trying to share the documents
folder under this profile. I can get at all the public stuff on the vista
machine but do not want everyone else to see my documents. I have created a
profile on the xp home machine called G and it has the same password as the
vista machine, I am still getting I do not have permissions when i try to
open the "G vista Documents" from my XP home machine. Wierd that it lets me
see the Vista folder from my XP machine but does not let me open it....

RE: Unable to share folder from Vista Home premium to XP Home SP3
Thanks for the reply Mick.

I was using that article and it got my as far as I had mentioned in my
original post. I tried running the network wizard but no joy. I can get to
the public folder on the vista machine no problem it just when i am trying to
get to my documents folder under a user profile. The XP machine can see the
share in "My network places" but will not open it. I have created matching
user accounts on both machines (with identical passwords) but still no
joy.....