XP Printer shared to Vista Laptop

gbrooksby@gmail.com

XP Printer shared to Vista Laptop
I have a Desktop PC running Windows XP-Pro with an HP Photosmart P1100
printer connected. I have shared the printer. I also have a laptop
running Vista.
Initially I added the shared printer over our home wireless network to
the Vista laptop and was able to print using the printer. I believe
it was using printer drivers on the XP machine.
Then the CPU died on the XP box. The laptop became our only machine.
I connected the laptop directly to the printer and after trying to
install printer drivers for a long time discovered that the printer is
not supported in Vista. I found that if I forced the printer to use
an alternate driver I was able to get the Vista laptop to print to the
printer.
I then replaced the CPU in the XP machine and brought it back to
life. I deleted the printers on the Vista laptop and re-added the
shared network printer. Vista installed it using the "hp photoshop
P1100" drivers. I can only presume it still had the drivers stored
somewhere on the disc.
Now the laptop will not print to the networked printer. I presume
this is because it is not supported in Vista and is trying to use
local drivers. I want to get it back to the point where it is using
the remote XP drivers, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. I
cannot find the HP driver files to remove. When I go into the
printers window and go to server properties and tell it to remove the
HP P1100 printer drivers and package it claims to do so. But if I add
the printer again, it once again installs the driver - which must be
coming from a local source.

Does anyone know how to force vista to remove drivers completely and
permanently?
How else can I force Vista to use remote drivers for a network
printer?

Thanks for any help. This is driving me bonkers.
Mick Murphy

RE: XP Printer shared to Vista Laptop
Turn on XP's File and Printer Sharing.
And XP's Printer has to have a Vista compatible printer Driver installed on
the Vista computer for the vista machine to print from the XP's printer

If the worst came to the worst(no compatible driver), copy files from
Vista>XP>Print from XP

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"gbrooksby@gmail.com" wrote:

> I have a Desktop PC running Windows XP-Pro with an HP Photosmart P1100
> printer connected. I have shared the printer. I also have a laptop
> running Vista.
> Initially I added the shared printer over our home wireless network to
> the Vista laptop and was able to print using the printer. I believe
> it was using printer drivers on the XP machine.
> Then the CPU died on the XP box. The laptop became our only machine.
> I connected the laptop directly to the printer and after trying to
> install printer drivers for a long time discovered that the printer is
> not supported in Vista. I found that if I forced the printer to use
> an alternate driver I was able to get the Vista laptop to print to the
> printer.
> I then replaced the CPU in the XP machine and brought it back to
> life. I deleted the printers on the Vista laptop and re-added the
> shared network printer. Vista installed it using the "hp photoshop
> P1100" drivers. I can only presume it still had the drivers stored
> somewhere on the disc.
> Now the laptop will not print to the networked printer. I presume
> this is because it is not supported in Vista and is trying to use
> local drivers. I want to get it back to the point where it is using
> the remote XP drivers, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. I
> cannot find the HP driver files to remove. When I go into the
> printers window and go to server properties and tell it to remove the
> HP P1100 printer drivers and package it claims to do so. But if I add
> the printer again, it once again installs the driver - which must be
> coming from a local source.
>
> Does anyone know how to force vista to remove drivers completely and
> permanently?
> How else can I force Vista to use remote drivers for a network
> printer?
>
> Thanks for any help. This is driving me bonkers.

gbrooksby@gmail.com

Re: XP Printer shared to Vista Laptop
On Aug 30, 11:14*pm, Mick Murphy
<MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > somewhere on the disc.
> > Now the laptop will not print to the networked printer. *I presume
> > this is because it is not supported in Vista and is trying to use
> > local drivers. *I want to get it back to the point where it is using
> > the remote XP drivers, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. *I
> > cannot find the HP driver files to remove. *When I go into the
> > printers window and go to server properties and tell it to remove the
> > HP P1100 printer drivers and package it claims to do so. *But if I add
> > the printer again, it once again installs the driver - which must be
> > coming from a local source.

> > Does anyone know how to force vista to remove drivers completely and
> > permanently?
> > How else can I force Vista to use remote drivers for a network
> > printer?

> > Thanks for any help. *This is driving me bonkers.

Thanks for the reply.

First off there are no official supported Vista drivers for my
printer.
Therefore I really need the printing to go through the XP drivers on
the XP machine.

The perplexing thing about this is that the printing worked fine
before I tried to install the drivers on the Vista machine. After
installing them, then finding out they won't work, I can't get back to
the previous state.
Nothing else has changed about the network or the computers.

I've told Vista to entirely uninstall the drivers, but every time I
point it to the network printer, it somehow "finds" and installs a
driver. Since whatever drive it finds is not Vista compatible, it
won't print.

Other ideas are welcome.

Glen