vista sees 2003 but cannot connect

Russell McClarnon

vista sees 2003 but cannot connect
I have a laptop with vista home premium sp1. I go into networks and see 4 xp
machines that when I click them they show their shares. I also see my 2003
server but when I click it is says "Windows cannot access \\SERVER1" details
show error code 80070005 access denied.

the 4 xp pro machines are part of my domain, this being vista home cannot
but I was able to before. server just rebuilt due to virus. xp pro machines
see and can access server no problem.

dns ok, network fast, auto discovery on, can ping server from vista by fqdn
and ip... checked logs on server and found denials of logons and said
account not found so I created the account that was trying to access and
matched pwds, but still no go....

any ideas appreciated
Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: vista sees 2003 but cannot connect
Vista Home Premium can not access a Domain.

There are now 2 versions of the equivalent of XP Home (which had no Domain
access): vista home Basic, and Vista home Premium.

And you can not upgrade Vista home Premium to Vista business to access your
Domain; it is not an upgrade path.

Vista home Premium>Vista Ultimate
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Russell McClarnon" wrote:

> I have a laptop with vista home premium sp1. I go into networks and see 4 xp
> machines that when I click them they show their shares. I also see my 2003
> server but when I click it is says "Windows cannot access \\SERVER1" details
> show error code 80070005 access denied.
>
> the 4 xp pro machines are part of my domain, this being vista home cannot
> but I was able to before. server just rebuilt due to virus. xp pro machines
> see and can access server no problem.
>
> dns ok, network fast, auto discovery on, can ping server from vista by fqdn
> and ip... checked logs on server and found denials of logons and said
> account not found so I created the account that was trying to access and
> matched pwds, but still no go....
>
> any ideas appreciated
> Thanks

+Bob+

Re: vista sees 2003 but cannot connect
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:22:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Vista Home Premium can not access a Domain.
>
>There are now 2 versions of the equivalent of XP Home (which had no Domain
>access): vista home Basic, and Vista home Premium.
>
>And you can not upgrade Vista home Premium to Vista business to access your
>Domain; it is not an upgrade path.
>
>Vista home Premium>Vista Ultimate

Apparently MS skipped that part of marketing class where they teach
you to reduce your customer's potential choices because too many
alternatives just confuse the consumer AND the part where you don't do
things that just plain aggravate your customers for no apparent
reason.

To the OP: you should consider running as a workgroup on your local
network. Unless you are specifically trying to imitate a larger office
network, there aren't many disadvantages to a workgroup. You will need
to have accounts on the server for each individual who will be logging
onto a client machine with matching usernames/passwords to make it
simulate a domain type setup.

apicton

Re: vista sees 2003 but cannot connect
I have this same issue on a client's network.
It will not let me connect as a workgroup network either.

The server is a Windows 2003 domain controller, but used as a workgroup
server. I can see it in the list of computers from the Vista Home Premium
machine. But when I click on it, I get the access is denied error.

On the server, it is set up to authenticate all users as guest so that they
do not have to manage user accounts and permissions. (like simple file
sharing)
Win 98, 2000 & XP computers all connect no problem as workgroup computers.
The vista home premium system will not.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I can't believe there is no way
to connect to server resources just because it is the home premium version of
vista.