Main desktop sees other computers on network - but still wont conn

lujlp

Main desktop sees other computers on network - but still wont conn
I have everything turned on in the netwrok and sharing center except the
password protection feature - that goes for all my computers.

I have an actiontec GT701-WG wireless router that is connected to my desptop
thru an ethernet connection.

I can see all the computers on the network map from every computer, all the
laptops can open each other's public file, all the laptops can open the
desktops files.

But even though the desktop sees the laptops on the network it is unable to
acsess them.

They are all running windows vista, and they all have had every single
windows update downloaded as of this evening - but for the life of me I cant
figure out what the problem is
Malke

Re: Main desktop sees other computers on network - but still wont conn
lujlp wrote:

> I have everything turned on in the netwrok and sharing center except the
> password protection feature - that goes for all my computers.
>
> I have an actiontec GT701-WG wireless router that is connected to my
> desptop thru an ethernet connection.
>
> I can see all the computers on the network map from every computer, all
> the laptops can open each other's public file, all the laptops can open
> the desktops files.
>
> But even though the desktop sees the laptops on the network it is unable
> to acsess them.
>
> They are all running windows vista, and they all have had every single
> windows update downloaded as of this evening - but for the life of me I
> cant figure out what the problem is

Turn on Password Protection and create identical user accounts and
passwords. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all
machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different;
the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--