RE: VPN not seeing remote resources

Bruce Wilkinson

RE: VPN not seeing remote resources
I am going to cross post this to Vista Installation and Setup and Vista
General. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what to check for.

I ran ipconfig /all to see what network configuration was being applied to
the VPN connection. The IP is appropriate for the connection, it matches
settings for the remote end. What puzzling is the netmask is 255.255.255.255
and the gateway is 0.0.0.0. These settings are dynamically applied from the
remote end.

Bruce

"Bruce Wilkinson" wrote:

> When I VPN to a remote network, either my own for email or to a client's
> network for remote management, I cannot see resources at the remote end. I
> can ping computers/server on client's remote network, but cannot RDP to
> them. When I connect to my own, I can establish a connection to Exchange and
> pull email, but can't RDP to any system.
>
> I'm running Vista Business SP1. I'm connecting to either Server 2003
> (clients) or Server 2008 (company). Firewalls vary from Zywall to Linksys to
> Netgear. All are set for VPN pass through.
>
> I suspect it's a setting, either on my system or on the remote VPN servers.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Bruce

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN not seeing remote resources
"the netmask is 255.255.255.255 and the gateway is 0.0.0.0" is by design. If
you run route print command, you should see the PPTP connection metric is
lower than LAN. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>I am going to cross post this to Vista Installation and Setup and Vista
> General. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what to check for.
>
> I ran ipconfig /all to see what network configuration was being applied to
> the VPN connection. The IP is appropriate for the connection, it matches
> settings for the remote end. What puzzling is the netmask is
> 255.255.255.255
> and the gateway is 0.0.0.0. These settings are dynamically applied from
> the
> remote end.
>
> Bruce
>
> "Bruce Wilkinson" wrote:
>
>> When I VPN to a remote network, either my own for email or to a client's
>> network for remote management, I cannot see resources at the remote end.
>> can ping computers/server on client's remote network, but cannot RDP to
>> them. When I connect to my own, I can establish a connection to Exchange
>> and
>> pull email, but can't RDP to any system.
>>
>> I'm running Vista Business SP1. I'm connecting to either Server 2003
>> (clients) or Server 2008 (company). Firewalls vary from Zywall to Linksys
>> Netgear. All are set for VPN pass through.
>>
>> I suspect it's a setting, either on my system or on the remote VPN
>> servers.
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Bruce

Bruce Wilkinson

Re: VPN not seeing remote resources
Bob:

I did run the route print command and metric is indeed lower.

Yes I can. However, when I try to RDP using FQDN or IP, I get an error
indicating the remote computer can't be found or isn't responding.

Bruce

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> "the netmask is 255.255.255.255 and the gateway is 0.0.0.0" is by design. If
> you run route print command, you should see the PPTP connection metric is
> lower than LAN. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Bruce Wilkinson" <BruceWilkinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:132FC225-C328-49B0-8F87-2729F5C3F812@microsoft.com...
> >I am going to cross post this to Vista Installation and Setup and Vista
> > General. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what to check for.
> >
> > I ran ipconfig /all to see what network configuration was being applied to
> > the VPN connection. The IP is appropriate for the connection, it matches
> > settings for the remote end. What puzzling is the netmask is
> > 255.255.255.255
> > and the gateway is 0.0.0.0. These settings are dynamically applied from
> > the
> > remote end.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > "Bruce Wilkinson" wrote:
> >
> >> When I VPN to a remote network, either my own for email or to a client's
> >> network for remote management, I cannot see resources at the remote end.
> >> can ping computers/server on client's remote network, but cannot RDP to
> >> them. When I connect to my own, I can establish a connection to Exchange
> >> and
> >> pull email, but can't RDP to any system.
> >>
> >> I'm running Vista Business SP1. I'm connecting to either Server 2003
> >> (clients) or Server 2008 (company). Firewalls vary from Zywall to Linksys
> >> Netgear. All are set for VPN pass through.
> >>
> >> I suspect it's a setting, either on my system or on the remote VPN
> >> servers.
> >> Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> Bruce

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN not seeing remote resources
Then can you telnet port 3389?

--
message newsE79936D-C020-4467-BB15-6966FA4FEE05@microsoft.com...
> Bob:
>
> I did run the route print command and metric is indeed lower.
>
> Yes I can. However, when I try to RDP using FQDN or IP, I get an error
> indicating the remote computer can't be found or isn't responding.
>
> Bruce
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> "the netmask is 255.255.255.255 and the gateway is 0.0.0.0" is by design.
>> If
>> you run route print command, you should see the PPTP connection metric is
>> lower than LAN. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Bruce Wilkinson" <BruceWilkinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:132FC225-C328-49B0-8F87-2729F5C3F812@microsoft.com...
>> >I am going to cross post this to Vista Installation and Setup and Vista
>> > General. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what to check for.
>> >
>> > I ran ipconfig /all to see what network configuration was being applied
>> > the VPN connection. The IP is appropriate for the connection, it
>> > matches
>> > settings for the remote end. What puzzling is the netmask is
>> > 255.255.255.255
>> > and the gateway is 0.0.0.0. These settings are dynamically applied from
>> > the
>> > remote end.
>> >
>> > Bruce

Bruce Wilkinson

Re: VPN not seeing remote resources
Robert:

No I can't telnet to port 3389. I also tried port 23 and 1723. All failed.
The details follow:

< c:\ > telnet 192.168.48.2 3389
Connecting To 192.168.48.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port
3389: Connect failed

< c:\ > telnet 192.168.48.2
Connecting To 192.168.48.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port
23: Connect failed

< c:\ > telnet 192.168.48.2 1723
Connecting To 192.168.48.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port
1723: Connect failed