Re: Suddenly "working offline"

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Suddenly "working offline"
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F764A735-322F-4D70-BD52-4782715A04AA@microsoft.com...
> Sometimes when I navigate to a web page, a window pops up, a dialog box
> titled "dial up connection" and it asks to "select the service you want to
> connect to" and has drop down boxes for broadband, dial up etc.
> This is not the way I connect to the internet, I am already online as I have
> a cable modem, and I just open internet explorer (IE7) and I'm online.
> If I ignore this box completely I have no problem, except the box is still
> open. I still can view the webage I was going to, and get mail and whatever.

> If I close the dialog box, I am suddenly "working offline" and I have to go
> to TOOLS and uncheck the "work offline" tab.

Describe the dialog better. E.g. do you have a Retry button too?
If so, use it instead of trying to close the dialog.

> This happens a few times a day, not every time I am working online.
> Using a standalone desktop computer, Vista Ultimate, IE7.
> --
> Amanda B

You could tell your ISP about it but this is normal AFAIK.
It just means that the link wasn't ready when IE needed it to be.

You could use ipconfig /all or the Network Diagnostics tool
to check the status of the adapter but I suspect it will always be too late
and the link will be restarted. However, if those tools showed you a statistic such as
remaining lease time for your IP address what would be more interesting I think
would be to do those checks periodically and see if your symptom does not
coincide with its elapse.

BTW this has more to do with your networking configuration and its
support by your OS. Cross-posting to Vista Networking for convenience.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Amanda

Re: Suddenly "working offline"
OK, but I have to wait till it happens again, it does not happen so often
that I could notice a pattern of when it occurs. Yesterday it happened when
navigating to my bank site, but today it doesn't do it.
I do know it does not have a cancel or a retry, either one. As I recall, it
allows you to choose which service you are connecting to, i.e. broadband,
LAN, etc. and then choose "connect."
And I think it has a settings tab, but nothing in the settings tab meant
anything to me.
Next time it happens, I;ll write it all down, thanks.

--
Amanda B

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes when I navigate to a web page, a window pops up, a dialog box
> > titled "dial up connection" and it asks to "select the service you want to
> > connect to" and has drop down boxes for broadband, dial up etc.
> > This is not the way I connect to the internet, I am already online as I have
> > a cable modem, and I just open internet explorer (IE7) and I'm online.
> > If I ignore this box completely I have no problem, except the box is still
> > open. I still can view the webage I was going to, and get mail and whatever.

> > If I close the dialog box, I am suddenly "working offline" and I have to go
> > to TOOLS and uncheck the "work offline" tab.

> Describe the dialog better. E.g. do you have a Retry button too?
> If so, use it instead of trying to close the dialog.
>

> > This happens a few times a day, not every time I am working online.
> > Using a standalone desktop computer, Vista Ultimate, IE7.
> > --
> > Amanda B

> You could tell your ISP about it but this is normal AFAIK.
> It just means that the link wasn't ready when IE needed it to be.
>
> You could use ipconfig /all or the Network Diagnostics tool
> to check the status of the adapter but I suspect it will always be too late
> and the link will be restarted. However, if those tools showed you a statistic such as
> remaining lease time for your IP address what would be more interesting I think
> would be to do those checks periodically and see if your symptom does not
> coincide with its elapse.
>
> BTW this has more to do with your networking configuration and its
> support by your OS. Cross-posting to Vista Networking for convenience.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

> OK, but I have to wait till it happens again, it does not happen so often
> that I could notice a pattern of when it occurs. Yesterday it happened when
> navigating to my bank site, but today it doesn't do it.

> I do know it does not have a cancel or a retry, either one. As I recall, it
> allows you to choose which service you are connecting to, i.e. broadband,
> LAN, etc. and then choose "connect."
> And I think it has a settings tab, but nothing in the settings tab meant
> anything to me.

Ok. I think that I have seen something similar under XP, especially
using Help and Support's Support menu. E.g. press Win-F1
and use Alt-u, Get help from Microsoft...

Wouldn't you know it? 9 times out of 10 I get an embedded message
there about having to be connected to the Internet and a Connect button
and then that is what produces the dialog I thought we could use for
comparison purposes... ; }

> Next time it happens, I;ll write it all down, thanks.

Me too. I don't think that mine forces me into doing anything or forces me
into a Work Offline state though.

Otherwise, try the same procedure I've outlined in case it helps you
reproduce your problem symptom more reliably.

HTH

Robert
---

> --
> Amanda B
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
>> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sometimes when I navigate to a web page, a window pops up, a dialog box
>> > titled "dial up connection" and it asks to "select the service you want to
>> > connect to" and has drop down boxes for broadband, dial up etc.
>> > This is not the way I connect to the internet, I am already online as I have
>> > a cable modem, and I just open internet explorer (IE7) and I'm online.
>> > If I ignore this box completely I have no problem, except the box is still
>> > open. I still can view the webage I was going to, and get mail and whatever.

>> > If I close the dialog box, I am suddenly "working offline" and I have to go
>> > to TOOLS and uncheck the "work offline" tab.

>> Describe the dialog better. E.g. do you have a Retry button too?
>> If so, use it instead of trying to close the dialog.
>>

>> > This happens a few times a day, not every time I am working online.
>> > Using a standalone desktop computer, Vista Ultimate, IE7.
>> > --
>> > Amanda B

>> You could tell your ISP about it but this is normal AFAIK.
>> It just means that the link wasn't ready when IE needed it to be.
>>
>> You could use ipconfig /all or the Network Diagnostics tool
>> to check the status of the adapter but I suspect it will always be too late
>> and the link will be restarted. However, if those tools showed you a statistic such as
>> remaining lease time for your IP address what would be more interesting I think
>> would be to do those checks periodically and see if your symptom does not
>> coincide with its elapse.
>>
>> BTW this has more to do with your networking configuration and its
>> support by your OS. Cross-posting to Vista Networking for convenience.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

Amanda

Re: Suddenly "working offline"
OK, so I was browsing on a fabric website, clicked on a link to see a
particular fabric's details, and up popped the dialog box.
It has a title, DIAL UP CONECTION
and it has a drop down box, "select the service you want to connect to"
but in that drop down there is one selection, BROADBAND
Below the drop down box is a check box to "connect automaically"
(If I check that, my computer tries to dial a connction, but I do not have
dial up internet, so that fails)
Below that is a tab for CONNECT, a tab for SETTINGS, a tab for WORK OFFLINE
Connect just tries to dial up again.
Settings gives me a place to input my settigs for a dial up connection or a
virtual private network, neither of which I have.
The only way to dismiss the box is to close it with the X in top right, and
that is when I get kicked into work offline mode.
This is not a big problem, now that I know what is happening I just have to
make sure to look at the "work offline" under the IE tools menu, and make
sure it is not checked.
But it is irritating.
Thanks for your interest!

--
Amanda B

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, but I have to wait till it happens again, it does not happen so often
> > that I could notice a pattern of when it occurs. Yesterday it happened when
> > navigating to my bank site, but today it doesn't do it.

> > I do know it does not have a cancel or a retry, either one. As I recall, it
> > allows you to choose which service you are connecting to, i.e. broadband,
> > LAN, etc. and then choose "connect."
> > And I think it has a settings tab, but nothing in the settings tab meant
> > anything to me.

> Ok. I think that I have seen something similar under XP, especially
> using Help and Support's Support menu. E.g. press Win-F1
> and use Alt-u, Get help from Microsoft...
>
> Wouldn't you know it? 9 times out of 10 I get an embedded message
> there about having to be connected to the Internet and a Connect button
> and then that is what produces the dialog I thought we could use for
> comparison purposes... ; }
>

> > Next time it happens, I;ll write it all down, thanks.

> Me too. I don't think that mine forces me into doing anything or forces me
> into a Work Offline state though.
>

> Otherwise, try the same procedure I've outlined in case it helps you
> reproduce your problem symptom more reliably.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > --
> > Amanda B
> >

> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
> >> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Describe the dialog better. E.g. do you have a Retry button too?
> >> If so, use it instead of trying to close the dialog.

> >> You could tell your ISP about it but this is normal AFAIK.
> >> It just means that the link wasn't ready when IE needed it to be.
> >>
> >> You could use ipconfig /all or the Network Diagnostics tool
> >> to check the status of the adapter but I suspect it will always be too late
> >> and the link will be restarted. However, if those tools showed you a statistic such as
> >> remaining lease time for your IP address what would be more interesting I think
> >> would be to do those checks periodically and see if your symptom does not
> >> coincide with its elapse.
> >>
> >> BTW this has more to do with your networking configuration and its
> >> support by your OS. Cross-posting to Vista Networking for convenience.
> >>

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

Donald Anadell

> OK, so I was browsing on a fabric website, clicked on a link to see a
> particular fabric's details, and up popped the dialog box.
> It has a title, DIAL UP CONECTION
> and it has a drop down box, "select the service you want to connect to"
> but in that drop down there is one selection, BROADBAND
> Below the drop down box is a check box to "connect automaically"
> (If I check that, my computer tries to dial a connction, but I do not have
> dial up internet, so that fails)
> Below that is a tab for CONNECT, a tab for SETTINGS, a tab for WORK
> OFFLINE
> Connect just tries to dial up again.

> Settings gives me a place to input my settigs for a dial up connection or
> virtual private network, neither of which I have.

Does going to Tools||Internet Options||Connections(tab) in IE7 and making
the "Never dial a connection" option enabled make a difference in the
behavior?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell