Network printer fine on XP but not Vista

John Hoog

Network printer fine on XP but not Vista
Network printer (Brother 2040 laser) is on an IOGear single-port wireless
print server. The whole setup worked at one time for both XP machines and
the single Vista laptop I had at my previous home.

Dismantled and reinstalled at new digs, the print server and printer work
fine with my XP machines but not for my Vista laptop (a second Vista machine
newly added to the network). The print queue returns an error message.

Vista's file and print sharing and network discovery are on. The printer is
on a port labeled LPT:PS3834-1, described as 192.168.1.160,PID:1. The print
server is set up with a static IP at .160 and can be pinged.

I tried putting the printer on the LPT1 port, with no joy.

I would appreciate some suggestions for other things to try.

Finally, I have to delete the test print files twice. After the failed test
print, the queue message changes from "Printing" to "Error - printing."
After I cancel the document the first time, the message changes to
"Deleting - Error - printing" and then to "Error - Sent to printer."
Canceling the document a second time finally gets rid of it in the queue. Is
this expected behavior?

JerryM

Re: Network printer fine on XP but not Vista
Did you install the printer driver?

"John Hoog" <john.f.hoog@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Network printer (Brother 2040 laser) is on an IOGear single-port wireless
> print server. The whole setup worked at one time for both XP machines and
> the single Vista laptop I had at my previous home.
>
> Dismantled and reinstalled at new digs, the print server and printer work
> fine with my XP machines but not for my Vista laptop (a second Vista
> machine newly added to the network). The print queue returns an error
> message.
>
> Vista's file and print sharing and network discovery are on. The printer
> is on a port labeled LPT:PS3834-1, described as 192.168.1.160,PID:1. The
> print server is set up with a static IP at .160 and can be pinged.
>
> I tried putting the printer on the LPT1 port, with no joy.
>
> I would appreciate some suggestions for other things to try.
>
> Finally, I have to delete the test print files twice. After the failed
> test print, the queue message changes from "Printing" to "Error -
> printing." After I cancel the document the first time, the message changes
> to "Deleting - Error - printing" and then to "Error - Sent to printer."
> Canceling the document a second time finally gets rid of it in the queue.
> Is this expected behavior?

John Hoog

Re: Network printer fine on XP but not Vista
Yes I did.

"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> Did you install the printer driver?
>
> "John Hoog" <john.f.hoog@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Network printer (Brother 2040 laser) is on an IOGear single-port wireless
>> print server. The whole setup worked at one time for both XP machines and
>> the single Vista laptop I had at my previous home.
>>
>> Dismantled and reinstalled at new digs, the print server and printer work
>> fine with my XP machines but not for my Vista laptop (a second Vista
>> machine newly added to the network). The print queue returns an error
>> message.
>>
>> Vista's file and print sharing and network discovery are on. The printer
>> is on a port labeled LPT:PS3834-1, described as 192.168.1.160,PID:1. The
>> print server is set up with a static IP at .160 and can be pinged.
>>
>> I tried putting the printer on the LPT1 port, with no joy.
>>
>> I would appreciate some suggestions for other things to try.
>>
>> Finally, I have to delete the test print files twice. After the failed
>> test print, the queue message changes from "Printing" to "Error -
>> printing." After I cancel the document the first time, the message
>> changes to "Deleting - Error - printing" and then to "Error - Sent to
>> printer." Canceling the document a second time finally gets rid of it in
>> the queue. Is this expected behavior?

Mick Murphy

Re: Network printer fine on XP but not Vista
John, in the Vista'a Network and Sharing, did you add the printer from
there(not just the Driver), and browse to find the Network Printer, then let
windows install it?

Also, a bit of Networking info below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"John Hoog" wrote:

> Yes I did.
>
> "JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> > Did you install the printer driver?
> >
> > "John Hoog" <john.f.hoog@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Network printer (Brother 2040 laser) is on an IOGear single-port wireless
> >> print server. The whole setup worked at one time for both XP machines and
> >> the single Vista laptop I had at my previous home.
> >>
> >> Dismantled and reinstalled at new digs, the print server and printer work
> >> fine with my XP machines but not for my Vista laptop (a second Vista
> >> machine newly added to the network). The print queue returns an error
> >> message.
> >>
> >> Vista's file and print sharing and network discovery are on. The printer
> >> is on a port labeled LPT:PS3834-1, described as 192.168.1.160,PID:1. The
> >> print server is set up with a static IP at .160 and can be pinged.
> >>
> >> I tried putting the printer on the LPT1 port, with no joy.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate some suggestions for other things to try.
> >>
> >> Finally, I have to delete the test print files twice. After the failed
> >> test print, the queue message changes from "Printing" to "Error -
> >> printing." After I cancel the document the first time, the message
> >> changes to "Deleting - Error - printing" and then to "Error - Sent to
> >> printer." Canceling the document a second time finally gets rid of it in
> >> the queue. Is this expected behavior?

John Hoog

Re: Network printer fine on XP but not Vista
Thanks, Mick. The answer's probably among those things you mentioned. I'll
get busy and check.