Seeing Vista share from XP

Al

Seeing Vista share from XP
I can see a vista share from XP if I have the same username/password on both
computers. However, if it is different, I get the "You might not have
permission..." error. I have turned password protected sharing off on vista.
Based on that description, it appears if a folder has permissions for
Everyone as a Reader, this should work. However, I have not been able to get
it work.

Turning the firewall etc. does not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Malke

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
Al wrote:

> I can see a vista share from XP if I have the same username/password on
> both computers. However, if it is different, I get the "You might not have
> permission..." error. I have turned password protected sharing off on
> vista. Based on that description, it appears if a folder has permissions
> for Everyone as a Reader, this should work. However, I have not been able
> to get it work.
>
> Turning the firewall etc. does not help.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Your network is working as it should. In a
peer-to-peer network (called a Workgroup in the Windows world),
authentication is done locally on each machine (instead of at a server in a
domain). In a small Workgroup, create matching user accounts and passwords
on all machines and authentication will be seamless. If you have more than
6-8 computers, you should consider using a server for central management.
So turn your password protected sharing back on in Vista.

If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this
link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Al

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
So what does it mean to turn "Password Porotected Sharing" off? The verbage
seems to imply it will allow users who do not have username/password on the
machine will be allowed to see shares (assuming Everyone has read permission)?

Aloke.

"Malke" wrote:

> Al wrote:
>
> > I can see a vista share from XP if I have the same username/password on
> > both computers. However, if it is different, I get the "You might not have
> > permission..." error. I have turned password protected sharing off on
> > vista. Based on that description, it appears if a folder has permissions
> > for Everyone as a Reader, this should work. However, I have not been able
> > to get it work.
> >
> > Turning the firewall etc. does not help.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?

> Suggestions for what? Your network is working as it should. In a
> peer-to-peer network (called a Workgroup in the Windows world),
> authentication is done locally on each machine (instead of at a server in a
> domain). In a small Workgroup, create matching user accounts and passwords
> on all machines and authentication will be seamless. If you have more than
> 6-8 computers, you should consider using a server for central management.
> So turn your password protected sharing back on in Vista.
>
> If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
> user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this
> link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Mick Murphy

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
A bit of info on how to Network XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Al" wrote:

> So what does it mean to turn "Password Porotected Sharing" off? The verbage
> seems to imply it will allow users who do not have username/password on the
> machine will be allowed to see shares (assuming Everyone has read permission)?
>
> Aloke.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Al wrote:
> >
> > > I can see a vista share from XP if I have the same username/password on
> > > both computers. However, if it is different, I get the "You might not have
> > > permission..." error. I have turned password protected sharing off on
> > > vista. Based on that description, it appears if a folder has permissions
> > > for Everyone as a Reader, this should work. However, I have not been able
> > > to get it work.
> > >
> > > Turning the firewall etc. does not help.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

> > Suggestions for what? Your network is working as it should. In a
> > peer-to-peer network (called a Workgroup in the Windows world),
> > authentication is done locally on each machine (instead of at a server in a
> > domain). In a small Workgroup, create matching user accounts and passwords
> > on all machines and authentication will be seamless. If you have more than
> > 6-8 computers, you should consider using a server for central management.
> > So turn your password protected sharing back on in Vista.
> >
> > If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
> > user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this
> > link work for both XP and Vista:
> >
> > Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> > FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Al

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
Thanks Mick. I had read your response as part of an earlier question which
was similar and this certainly helps. However, I still have one basic
question:

Does Vista allow a share (which has been given a read permission for
Everyone) to be visible from XP with Password Protection turned off? I know
this works if the username/password is the same. However, if the XP
username/password is not the same and it does not have the same username
locally, will it still be able to view the shares of Vista with Password
Protection off?

Thanks.

Al wrote:

> Thanks Mick. I had read your response as part of an earlier question which
> was similar and this certainly helps. However, I still have one basic
> question:
>
> Does Vista allow a share (which has been given a read permission for
> Everyone) to be visible from XP with Password Protection turned off? I
> know this works if the username/password is the same. However, if the XP
> username/password is not the same and it does not have the same username
> locally, will it still be able to view the shares of Vista with Password
> Protection off?

It depends. If the XP machines are XP Home and network guest (not the Guest
in User Accounts) is enabled, then shares will be accessible with
guest-level access. My network troubleshooting boilerplate is based on
doing what works without futzing around with it. I know that if I go
on-site and create matching user accounts/passwords, turn off Simple
Sharing, enable Password Protection, etc., I will have that network up and
sharing literally within a very few minutes. Since I do this for a living
and time is money (for both me and my clients), I prefer my method.
Certainly you're more than welcome to try something else. :-)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tom Allen

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Mick. I had read your response as part of an earlier question
> which
> was similar and this certainly helps. However, I still have one basic
> question:
>
> Does Vista allow a share (which has been given a read permission for
> Everyone) to be visible from XP with Password Protection turned off? I
> know
> this works if the username/password is the same. However, if the XP
> username/password is not the same and it does not have the same
> username
> locally, will it still be able to view the shares of Vista with
> Password
> Protection off?
>
> Thanks.

In my experience, yes you will if
- it's XP Home or it's Xp Pro with 'simple file sharing' set
- you have a net-enabled Guest
- Guest is included in the 'everyone' list.

You might get blocked in the other direction if you have ever set a
password on the XP Guest account and forgotten about it ( personal
experience - safely recorded the password but forgot that I had set it )
You might want to regard that setup as a starting point before
tightening things up with the use of password protected accounts.

Tom

W3000x2VHP

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP

Hi Al,

This is possibly a too obvious thought, but have you set both sharing
and NTFS permissions for Everyone to Read?

Al;707247 Wrote:

> Does Vista allow a share (which has been given a read permission for
> Everyone) to be visible from XP with Password Protection turned off?

--
W3000x2VHP

Please don't ask me why ...
Just answer my question, if you can ...
Al

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
--> -you have a net-enabled Guest
--> - Guest is included in the 'everyone' list.
Do both of these need to be on XP (where I am trying to view the share) or
vista (where the share is created)?

Thanks.

"Tom Allen" wrote:

> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Mick. I had read your response as part of an earlier question
> > which
> > was similar and this certainly helps. However, I still have one basic
> > question:
> >
> > Does Vista allow a share (which has been given a read permission for
> > Everyone) to be visible from XP with Password Protection turned off? I
> > know
> > this works if the username/password is the same. However, if the XP
> > username/password is not the same and it does not have the same
> > username
> > locally, will it still be able to view the shares of Vista with
> > Password
> > Protection off?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> In my experience, yes you will if
> - it's XP Home or it's Xp Pro with 'simple file sharing' set
> - you have a net-enabled Guest
> - Guest is included in the 'everyone' list.
>
> You might get blocked in the other direction if you have ever set a
> password on the XP Guest account and forgotten about it ( personal
> experience - safely recorded the password but forgot that I had set it )
> You might want to regard that setup as a starting point before
> tightening things up with the use of password protected accounts.
>
> Tom

Al

Re: Seeing Vista share from XP
The folder which is shared has "Everyone" set to read permission.

Thanks.