Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer

John Monahan

Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer
I suspect this question has been asked before but scanning the recent posts
does not show it up.

I am running a small home network here (WHS, Vista Business, 2 Vista Home
Preminiums and few XP's). Here is my problem:-

Lets take the XP box nearby. Operating form the Vista Business PC on a
fresh reboot I will always see the nearby XP box in Windows Explorer -
Networks if it is on. If I go into hibernate mode on the Vista and come
back say the next morning and run Windows Explorer - the XP box is not
listed. If I close the Windows Explorer and come back say 10 minutes later
THEN the XP box is listed. If I put the XP box into hibernation of switch
it off it still lists under Windows Explorer but of course no shared folders
show up. Eventually it will disappear -- hours later -- if I re-run Windows
Explorer from this Vista box.

I have this both of these computers on a single Router network (DLink
DIR-655) with DHCP but reserved IP addresses for both computers -- i.e. they
do not change.

I suspect there is some kind of network refreshing of computers on the
network going on.

Is there a way to speed things up in Vista?

barman58

Re: Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer

Vista uses a new technology "link Layer Topology" for network discovery
tha
ere is an add-on from MS that you may want to have a look at 'Here
'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...kInfoContainer)
it basically allows XP machines to answer the query from a Vista
machine and may improve discovery times

--
barman58

--
Regards
*Barman58*
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer
Hi
Hibernation, Standby, etc. are Not the friends of peer-to peer Networking.
While in these modes, the network of the computer is Not active, mean time
there are action on the network by other computers and when "Sleeping
Beauties" gets up it might be confusing.
Using Mapping can alleviate some of the issues.
Using Standby and getting the Network components out of the Standby loop
(i.e. they stay alive) can help too.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>I suspect this question has been asked before but scanning the recent posts
>does not show it up.
>
> I am running a small home network here (WHS, Vista Business, 2 Vista Home
> Preminiums and few XP's). Here is my problem:-
>
> Lets take the XP box nearby. Operating form the Vista Business PC on a
> fresh reboot I will always see the nearby XP box in Windows Explorer -
> Networks if it is on. If I go into hibernate mode on the Vista and come
> back say the next morning and run Windows Explorer - the XP box is not
> listed. If I close the Windows Explorer and come back say 10 minutes later
> THEN the XP box is listed. If I put the XP box into hibernation of switch
> it off it still lists under Windows Explorer but of course no shared
> folders show up. Eventually it will disappear -- hours later -- if I
> re-run Windows Explorer from this Vista box.
>
> I have this both of these computers on a single Router network (DLink
> DIR-655) with DHCP but reserved IP addresses for both computers -- i.e.
> they do not change.
>
> I suspect there is some kind of network refreshing of computers on the
> network going on.
>
> Is there a way to speed things up in Vista?

John Monahan

Re: Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer
Thanks for suggestion. When I tried to install LLTD on the XP PC, I got back
a message saying "the Service Pack Version is more recent than the update I
am trying to install. There is no need for the upgrade". So LLTD does not
seem to be the problem or do I have to turn the service on or something.

"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Vista uses a new technology "link Layer Topology" for network discovery
> tha
> ere is an add-on from MS that you may want to have a look at 'Here
> '
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...kInfoContainer)
> it basically allows XP machines to answer the query from a Vista
> machine and may improve discovery times
>

> --
> barman58
>
> --
> Regards
> *Barman58*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

+Bob+

Re: Is it possible to speed up the appearance of computers on a network appearing with Vista Windows Explorer
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:26:52 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Hibernation, Standby, etc. are Not the friends of peer-to peer Networking.

You get the "understatement of the month" award :-)

This was troublesome in XP, positively bug ridden in Vista.