How can anything be this bad?

Nogginsaked

How can anything be this bad?
I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
original is NOT read only).
I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different name
(e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However the
sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening and
saving.
What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the abomination
that is Vista.
I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
Nothing has changed and now nothing works.
This is the reality of Vista.
I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

Fred

Re: How can anything be this bad?
My two cents: The problems Vista has caused are absolutely not worth the
little, useless, added bells and whistles they added. None of my DOS
programs will run on Vista either, and networking is a nightmare.

Fred

"Nogginsaked" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
> I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
> original is NOT read only).
> I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different
> name (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However
> the sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening
> and saving.
> What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
> complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
> non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the
> abomination that is Vista.
> I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
> Nothing has changed and now nothing works.
> This is the reality of Vista.
> I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
> Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: How can anything be this bad?
Hi
Since hundred thousands of people can use Network sharing successfully it
seems to be more of configuration problem rather than Vista being "Bad".
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Nogginsaked" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
> I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
> original is NOT read only).
> I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different
> name (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However
> the sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening
> and saving.
> What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
> complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
> non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the
> abomination that is Vista.
> I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
> Nothing has changed and now nothing works.
> This is the reality of Vista.
> I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
> Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

Mick Murphy

RE: How can anything be this bad?
How to network XP, and vista.
And link to vista file share from MS
For DOS, have a look at a Program called "dosbox" to install.
http://www.dosbox.com/

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nogginsaked" wrote:

> I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
> I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
> original is NOT read only).
> I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different name
> (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However the
> sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening and
> saving.
> What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
> complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
> non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the abomination
> that is Vista.
> I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
> Nothing has changed and now nothing works.
> This is the reality of Vista.
> I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
> Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

Gordon

"Fred" <fdwight(ADD1)@cox.net> wrote in message
> My two cents: The problems Vista has caused are absolutely not worth the
> little, useless, added bells and whistles they added. None of my DOS
> programs will run on Vista either, and networking is a nightmare.

jeeeze. DOS programs? Why not just go back to Windows for Workgroups?
Networking is NOT a nightmare - mine worked "out of the box".

Gordon

Re: How can anything be this bad?
"Nogginsaked" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
> I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
> original is NOT read only).

that's normal network behaviour. Has been since NT4.....

> I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different
> name (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission.

And DO you have permission? That;s NORMAL network behaviour. Has been since
NT4....

> However the sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for
> opening and saving.
> What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
> complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
> non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the
> abomination that is Vista.

Well you obviously do NOT have "full permissions".

> I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
> Nothing has changed and now nothing works.
> This is the reality of Vista.
> I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
> Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

Umm Windows never WAS "DOS"......

Fred

Re: How can anything be this bad?
Gordon,

When you paid $5000.00 for a program that has been used for years, and has
the exact same functionality today as it did when I bought it, you might
begin to understand the frustrations with windows vista.

Fred

newsCA52B91-CD60-45A2-AD9D-42BAD9F4A009@microsoft.com...
> Gordon,
>
> When you paid $5000.00 for a program that has been used for years, and has
> the exact same functionality today as it did when I bought it, you might
> begin to understand the frustrations with windows vista.

You paid $5,000 for a DOS program?
They saw you coming then.....
have you thought of using Microsoft Virtual PC and actually running your DOS
program on DOS rather than on Vista that has NO DOS AT ALL?

Paul Montgomery

Re: How can anything be this bad?
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:10:44 -0500, "Fred" <fdwight(ADD1)@cox.net>
wrote:

>Gordon,
>
>When you paid $5000.00 for a program that has been used for years, and has
>the exact same functionality today as it did when I bought it, you might
>begin to understand the frustrations with windows vista.

I feel your pain. I have a small fortune worth of automotive testing
equipment, etc. from "back in the day" and can't use any of it on
today's cars/trucks.

DAMN Detroit! Why did it have to change everything!??
Tom Ferguson

Re: How can anything be this bad?

"Nogginsaked" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I open an Excel spreadsheet stored on one Vista machine on a second.
> I cannot save the document because first it says it is read only (the
> original is NOT read only).

Is the spreadsheet still open on the first machine when you attempt to open
it on the second? If so, file sharing provivions will not allow a copy to
open on any other networked machene except as read only.

> I can not save the document back on the first machine with a different
> name (e.g. vista sucks) because it says I do not have permission. However
> the sharing on the first machine says I have full privileges for opening
> and saving.

What are your permissions on the machine you are actually using concerning
saving through the network on the machine owning the document?

> What a piece of crap this OS is. There is no reason for needlessly
> complicating simple peer to peer networking with this layer of useless
> non-security crud. It is obvious why businesses will not use the
> abomination that is Vista.

the key word here is 'needlessly'. Think of how quickly a document would be
messed up if two people were making changes to a it unaware of and
uncoordinated with each other.

> I went through all the permission crap last week and it all worked fine.
> Nothing has changed and now nothing works.

Learn how to set up networking and how to use files that are shared. What
else can I say? Until you do, you will be frequently reduced to semi-lucid
ranting.

> This is the reality of Vista.
> I have been using Windows since it was DOS. If I did not have dedicated
> Windows business software I would switch to the Mac. I've had it.

And why do you think that networked Macs or Unix or Linux or... would be
different in this regard? Think about it. Suppose three different people
open a document at the same time and edit it. Then they try to save it. How
does the operating system"know" which is authoratative and the one to keep?
The last saved? The first saved?

If you are resaving under a different name, make sure you have save
permission on the machine that owns the document.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007