Vista box is "isolated"

Thumper

Vista box is "isolated"
T1 is a Vista machine that the is isolated on my home network in that no
other PCs (2 XP, 1 Vista) on my network can reach him except T1 can reach the
Windows shares on *all* of the other PCs.

T1 has no problems browsing the Internet.

I cannot ping T1 from the other PCs. Windows firewall is disabled on T1. I
have disabled IP6 and the link layer discoveries butthat did no good.

I have went over the file sharing doc at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e86151033.mspx and I definitely have a couple of shares setup.
Thumper

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
OK...here is the deal after changing everything I could I have found the
problem but the question is why????

T1 is using a wireless internal NIC (Linksys Wireless-G) and I swapped this
for a USB based Linksys Wireless NIC. Still nothing....

Mind you Internet browsing still works just no "Windows" type internal
network sharing.

Solution: I enabled the internal NIC and it all works now. What the hell???
My wireless settings possibly are messed up but where. This is only a temp.
solution because this PC needs to go back to a wireless setup.

Ideas?????

"Thumper" wrote:

> T1 is a Vista machine that the is isolated on my home network in that no
> other PCs (2 XP, 1 Vista) on my network can reach him except T1 can reach the
> Windows shares on *all* of the other PCs.
>
> T1 has no problems browsing the Internet.
>
> I cannot ping T1 from the other PCs. Windows firewall is disabled on T1. I
> have disabled IP6 and the link layer discoveries butthat did no good.
>
> I have went over the file sharing doc at
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e86151033.mspx and I definitely have a couple of shares setup.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
Have you updated the Firmware on your Wireless Router?
You don't say what you have done to try and set up network, then turn on the
wireless part.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Thumper" wrote:

> OK...here is the deal after changing everything I could I have found the
> problem but the question is why????
>
> T1 is using a wireless internal NIC (Linksys Wireless-G) and I swapped this
> for a USB based Linksys Wireless NIC. Still nothing....
>
> Mind you Internet browsing still works just no "Windows" type internal
> network sharing.
>
> Solution: I enabled the internal NIC and it all works now. What the hell???
> My wireless settings possibly are messed up but where. This is only a temp.
> solution because this PC needs to go back to a wireless setup.
>
> Ideas?????
>

> "Thumper" wrote:
>
> > T1 is a Vista machine that the is isolated on my home network in that no
> > other PCs (2 XP, 1 Vista) on my network can reach him except T1 can reach the
> > Windows shares on *all* of the other PCs.
> >
> > T1 has no problems browsing the Internet.
> >
> > I cannot ping T1 from the other PCs. Windows firewall is disabled on T1. I
> > have disabled IP6 and the link layer discoveries butthat did no good.
> >
> > I have went over the file sharing doc at
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e86151033.mspx and I definitely have a couple of shares setup.

Malke

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
Thumper wrote:

> OK...here is the deal after changing everything I could I have found the
> problem but the question is why????
>
> T1 is using a wireless internal NIC (Linksys Wireless-G) and I swapped
> this
> for a USB based Linksys Wireless NIC. Still nothing....
>
> Mind you Internet browsing still works just no "Windows" type internal
> network sharing.
>
> Solution: I enabled the internal NIC and it all works now. What the
> hell???
> My wireless settings possibly are messed up but where. This is only a
> temp. solution because this PC needs to go back to a wireless setup.

You haven't told us anything about your router or your wireless settings.
With this lack of detail, all I can do is give you general information
about setting up a wireless router.

To configure the router:

Have a computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Examples
given are for a Linksys router. Refer to your router manual or the router
mftr.'s website for default settings if you don't have a Linksys. Open a
browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox and in the addressbar type:

http://192.168.1.1 [enter] (this is the router's default IP address, which
varies from router to router so check your manual)

This will bring you to router's login screen. The default username is left
blank and the Linksys default password is "admin" without the quotes. Enter
that information. You are now in the router's configuration utility. Your
configuration utility may differ slightly from mine.

Click on the Administration link at the top of the page. Enter your new
password. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT. Re-enter the
password to confirm it and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of
the page. The router will restart and present you with the login box again.
Leave the username blank and put in your new password to get back into the
configuration utility.

Now click on the Wireless link at the top of the page. Change the Wireless
Network Name (SSID) from the default to something you will recognize. I
suggest that my clients not use their family name as the SSID. For example,
you might wish to name your wireless network "CastleAnthrax" or the
like. ;-)

Click the Save Settings and when you get the prompt that your changes were
successful, click on the Wireless Security link which is right next to the
Basic Wireless Settings link (where you changed your SSID). If you have a
newish computer, you will be able to set the Security Mode to
WPA2-Personal. Do that and enter a passphrase. The passphrase is what you
will enter on any computers that are allowed to connect to the wireless
network. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT.

At this point, your router is configured and if the computer you were using
to configure the router is normally going to connect wirelessly, disconnect
the ethernet cable and the computer's wireless feature should see your new
network. Enter the passphrase you created to join the network and start
surfing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Thumper

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
This is my friends PC and he is out of town and he has a Linksys wrt54g and
even in my network it acts the same and I have a D-Link dir-655.

Him and I both have laptops on each network that work fine wirelessly. It
is just this one PC.

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]

> like. ;-)
>
> Click the Save Settings and when you get the prompt that your changes were
> successful, click on the Wireless Security link which is right next to the
> Basic Wireless Settings link (where you changed your SSID). If you have a
> newish computer, you will be able to set the Security Mode to
> WPA2-Personal. Do that and enter a passphrase. The passphrase is what you
> will enter on any computers that are allowed to connect to the wireless
> network. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT.
>
> At this point, your router is configured and if the computer you were using
> to configure the router is normally going to connect wirelessly, disconnect
> the ethernet cable and the computer's wireless feature should see your new
> network. Enter the passphrase you created to join the network and start

Malke

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
Thumper wrote:

> This is my friends PC and he is out of town and he has a Linksys wrt54g
> and even in my network it acts the same and I have a D-Link dir-655.
>
> Him and I both have laptops on each network that work fine wirelessly. It
> is just this one PC.

Sorry, still not enough information to give you focused help. Please supply
*all* the pertinent information in your next post so we can help you. These
links will show you what to include:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Thumper

RE: Vista box is "isolated"
1. Vista Premium (SP1)

2. 8 mos. old - Acer Desktop - Aspire M5630 - 3 GB mem - home networked
workgroup

3. Running Defender as Malware - McAfee anti-virus up to date with the
newest pattern

4. relying on Defender and McAfee

5. Not an Internet issue

6. Windows error when a share or computer is not available.

7. This is someone else's computer and to ask them what has changed. They
don't know. ;-(

8. This Vista machine is not a available on the network using a wireless
card (I have tried 2 different kinds). I will call this machine T1. If plug
it in using a wired connection it is fine. All the time it can browse the
internet. This is my friends PC and it acted the same in his network that it
does in mine. I believe it is a software issue on the machine T1. T1 can
browse to any of the other machines.

Thanks for any ideas....

Thumper wrote:

> 1. Vista Premium (SP1)
>
> 2. 8 mos. old - Acer Desktop - Aspire M5630 - 3 GB mem - home networked
> workgroup
>
> 3. Running Defender as Malware - McAfee anti-virus up to date with the
> newest pattern
>
> 4. relying on Defender and McAfee
>
> 5. Not an Internet issue
>
> 6. Windows error when a share or computer is not available.
>
> 7. This is someone else's computer and to ask them what has changed. They
> don't know. ;-(
>
> 8. This Vista machine is not a available on the network using a wireless
> card (I have tried 2 different kinds). I will call this machine T1. If
> plug it in using a wired connection it is fine. All the time it can browse
> the internet. This is my friends PC and it acted the same in his network
> that it does in mine. I believe it is a software issue on the machine T1.
> T1 can browse to any of the other machines.

Since the problem occurs only when using wireless and you have McAfee
installed (a really dreadful program), my guess is that McAfee is
disallowing access to the wireless connection. Either look in McAfee's
firewall configuration or have your friend uninstall McAfee and replace it
with a better antivirus. I recommend NOD32, Kaspersky, Avast, or Avira. The
Windows Firewall is adequate for most people.

Malke