Router weirdness with Vista

Andrew Rossmann

Router weirdness with Vista
I have a Linksys BEFSX41. The firmware is not current (1.51.00, latest
is 1.52.15), but it is rock stable. I've never had to reboot it because
of an issue with it locking up or not otherwise working. I work from
home, so having it stable is important (if only Comcast was so
reliable.)

In addition to my Vista home computer, there is my work computer
(Win2K), and a D-Link/Vonage adapter. I disabled IPv6 on the Vista
ethernet connection.

Since updating my home computer to a new one with Vista, I've noticed
that whenever it accesses the network, ALL of the activity lights blink.
The other devices blink at a lower rate than the Vista computer.

I can see the Vonage adapter activity light blink off (it's ON when
there is no activity.) During heavier Vista use, it almost seems
completely off.

For a test, I tried my ancient D-Link DI-604 (I updated the firmware to
the latest, and apparently last, version, too), and there were no
issues. It even seemed to give faster speed tests than the Linksys (20K
down from the Speakeasy test using Comcast 6000/1000+Powerboost. The
Linksys seems to be about 15-16K.) I'm not worried about the speed as
long as it's faster than my rated speed.

Any idea just what in Vista could be confusing the modem and almost be
treated like a broadcast, causing other devices to try and respond? I'm
not using the router's VPN features anymore (I used to). The setup is
more or less generic. Firewall is on, special filters off (just block
ping and IDENT). UPnP is disabled (default setting.)

I went to a Vista router test site at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
and it only failed ECN (which is turned off in Vista anyways) and UPnP.

Otherwise, any ideas on a good, RELIABLE, router? Wireless is NOT an
issue and I don't need it. I'd rather not pay the $$$ or power/heat for
something I don't use. Otherwise, if a wireless router is a good idea,
I'd not only like the wireless to be easily 100% disabled, but also be
able to remove the antenna(s) as extra insurance.

To be honest, it's hard to say if the router weirdness is really
affecting anything. On the other hand, with DOCSIS3, IPv6, Gigabit
Ethernet, and faster speeds coming, it may be time to upgrade.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Router weirdness with Vista
Hi
The Linksys BEFSX41is a very old Router. It might be a good time to upgrade.
Wired Router are as expensive as Wireless and there is No new entries for
long time.
This is a decent stable Router (it is also flashable with DD-WRT).
Asus WL-520GU
What is DD-WRT? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...22DD-WRT%22%3F
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware/software
providers, or and, the vendors that I mentioned above.

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.2319f5073375349d9899e6@newsgroups.comcast .net...
>I have a Linksys BEFSX41. The firmware is not current (1.51.00, latest
> is 1.52.15), but it is rock stable. I've never had to reboot it because
> of an issue with it locking up or not otherwise working. I work from
> home, so having it stable is important (if only Comcast was so
> reliable.)
>
> In addition to my Vista home computer, there is my work computer
> (Win2K), and a D-Link/Vonage adapter. I disabled IPv6 on the Vista
> ethernet connection.
>
> Since updating my home computer to a new one with Vista, I've noticed
> that whenever it accesses the network, ALL of the activity lights blink.
> The other devices blink at a lower rate than the Vista computer.
>
> I can see the Vonage adapter activity light blink off (it's ON when
> there is no activity.) During heavier Vista use, it almost seems
> completely off.
>
> For a test, I tried my ancient D-Link DI-604 (I updated the firmware to
> the latest, and apparently last, version, too), and there were no
> issues. It even seemed to give faster speed tests than the Linksys (20K
> down from the Speakeasy test using Comcast 6000/1000+Powerboost. The
> Linksys seems to be about 15-16K.) I'm not worried about the speed as
> long as it's faster than my rated speed.
>
> Any idea just what in Vista could be confusing the modem and almost be
> treated like a broadcast, causing other devices to try and respond? I'm
> not using the router's VPN features anymore (I used to). The setup is
> more or less generic. Firewall is on, special filters off (just block
> ping and IDENT). UPnP is disabled (default setting.)
>
> I went to a Vista router test site at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
> and it only failed ECN (which is turned off in Vista anyways) and UPnP.
>
> Otherwise, any ideas on a good, RELIABLE, router? Wireless is NOT an
> issue and I don't need it. I'd rather not pay the $$$ or power/heat for
> something I don't use. Otherwise, if a wireless router is a good idea,
> I'd not only like the wireless to be easily 100% disabled, but also be
> able to remove the antenna(s) as extra insurance.
>
> To be honest, it's hard to say if the router weirdness is really
> affecting anything. On the other hand, with DOCSIS3, IPv6, Gigabit
> Ethernet, and faster speeds coming, it may be time to upgrade.
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

Barb Bowman

Re: Router weirdness with Vista
If you are interested in the really high speeds (like the 50/5
available in Twin Cities MN), you won't see them with a low
end/entry level router.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:21:46 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

>On the other hand, with DOCSIS3, IPv6, Gigabit
>Ethernet, and faster speeds coming, it may be time to upgrade.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Router weirdness with Vista
In article <eNgxyWZBJHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
jack@discussiongroup.com says...
> Hi
> The Linksys BEFSX41is a very old Router. It might be a good time to upgrade.
> Wired Router are as expensive as Wireless and there is No new entries for
> long time.
> This is a decent stable Router (it is also flashable with DD-WRT).
> Asus WL-520GU
> What is DD-WRT? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...22DD-WRT%22%3F
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

I've heard and read about these alternate firmwares for awhile. I
decided to get a Linksys WRT54GL as it seems to have the widest support.
In addition to dd-wrt, there is Tomato and a ton of others to play with.

In the meantime, does anybody know of what network monitoring programs I
could run on one of the other computers to try and capture what is
'leaking' from the Vista computer through the switch? I also have my old
home computer, which dual-boots Win2K and Ubuntu.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross