Vista won't share internet with XP

tshryock

Vista won't share internet with XP

Here's my situation: I have a Vista home premium machine hooked up via
USB to a cable modem. I have an XP machine networked to the vista
machine via a crossover cable (UTP?) via the ethernet cards.
Until recently, I was able to share files between machines and the XP
was able to use Vista's internet connection. Then, something happened. I
don't know if one of the machines updated something or what, but I lost
the connection entirely. After fiddling around with various settings,
both machines can now see each other and I can move files, but the XP
machine no longer has the internet connection from vista. XP tells me
that the host did not assign it an IP address. All the sharing settings
on vista are turned on, and everything had worked fine before. I tried
all the various repair options, but it just keeps telling me there is
limited connectivity. I've reset the modem and adaptor multiple times,
rebooted both machines and nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have any ideas why the machines can see each other on the
network but XP can't use Vista's Internet connection anymore?

I'm a newbie when it comes to networking, so please explain any
solutions in detail. Thanks!
Todd

--
tshryock
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista won't share internet with XP
Post the results of ipconfig /all on both computers may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"tshryock" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Here's my situation: I have a Vista home premium machine hooked up via
> USB to a cable modem. I have an XP machine networked to the vista
> machine via a crossover cable (UTP?) via the ethernet cards.
> Until recently, I was able to share files between machines and the XP
> was able to use Vista's internet connection. Then, something happened. I
> don't know if one of the machines updated something or what, but I lost
> the connection entirely. After fiddling around with various settings,
> both machines can now see each other and I can move files, but the XP
> machine no longer has the internet connection from vista. XP tells me
> that the host did not assign it an IP address. All the sharing settings
> on vista are turned on, and everything had worked fine before. I tried
> all the various repair options, but it just keeps telling me there is
> limited connectivity. I've reset the modem and adaptor multiple times,
> rebooted both machines and nothing seems to work.
> Does anyone have any ideas why the machines can see each other on the
> network but XP can't use Vista's Internet connection anymore?
>
> I'm a newbie when it comes to networking, so please explain any
> solutions in detail. Thanks!
> Todd
>

> --
> tshryock

tshryock

Re: Vista won't share internet with XP

How do I get the results for ipconfig/all? Is that something I enter at
the command line prompt? As I said, I'm new to networking.

Thanks

--
tshryock
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista won't share internet with XP
on each computer, go to command prompt. type ipconfig /all and press Enter.

--

> How do I get the results for ipconfig/all? Is that something I enter at
> the command line prompt? As I said, I'm new to networking.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> tshryock

tshryock

Re: Vista won't share internet with XP

OK, hopefully this is what's needed. I left out the DNS stuff because
there weren't any values on the XP machine to compare them to:

The mothership (vista) says:
IP 76.188.97.241
sub 255 255 240 0
For the LAN (via the command prompt on vista):
Autoconfig IP4 169.254.52.67
Sub 255 255 0 0

The client (XP) says:
Ethernet:
Autoconfig IP4 169.254.97.110
sub 255 255 0 0

Remember, I can file share, but can't get Internet access on XP via the
Vista machine.

Thanks!

--
tshryock
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista won't share internet with XP
The IP 169.254.x.x is the problem. Te following post may help.

Vista and XP ICS problem with 169 IP address
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaics.htm
How to: Enabling ICS on Vista
Do not use ICS on a network with domain controllers, DNS servers,
gateways, or DHCP servers. And don't use ICS on systems configured for
static IP addresses ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums... sc&highlight=