Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer

Alan Biddle

Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Hi,

I have an HP Desktop running XP Pro (SP3) and a Dell laptop running
Vista Business (SP1) with a Linksys home wireless network. The
printer in question is an HP 932c attached to the desktop. Both
computers have the same current version of Norton Internet Security
running. (I know, I know, no lectures please. <grin>)

Using the tips here, I have no problem getting the laptop to share the
printer using the trick of installing it as a local printer and then
remapping the port. Works fine, every time, until I shut down the
laptop.

When I restart it, the remapped port which I installed has vanished
from the list. I need to repeat the process again, and it will then
continue to work normally for as long as I keep the computer on. I
can put the laptop in standby, and it will come up working normally.

Any ideas on what is causing the laptop to delete the port? The
desktop and network are always up when I start the laptop.

--
Alan
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Have you checked if there is a new driver for the printer? Or this post may
help.

Vista lost network printer after rebooting
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4518

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Alan Biddle" <ALANBIDDLE70@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an HP Desktop running XP Pro (SP3) and a Dell laptop running
> Vista Business (SP1) with a Linksys home wireless network. The
> printer in question is an HP 932c attached to the desktop. Both
> computers have the same current version of Norton Internet Security
> running. (I know, I know, no lectures please. <grin>)
>
> Using the tips here, I have no problem getting the laptop to share the
> printer using the trick of installing it as a local printer and then
> remapping the port. Works fine, every time, until I shut down the
> laptop.
>
> When I restart it, the remapped port which I installed has vanished
> from the list. I need to repeat the process again, and it will then
> continue to work normally for as long as I keep the computer on. I
> can put the laptop in standby, and it will come up working normally.
>
> Any ideas on what is causing the laptop to delete the port? The
> desktop and network are always up when I start the laptop.
>

> --
> Alan

Alan Biddle

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Bob,

The HP 932C is sufficiently ancient that HP relies on MS for Vista
drivers. I have checked with MS update, and I have the latest. The
XP machine has the latest HP drivers, FWIW.

I went through the suggestions which you included. They were
variations on what I had done, and as before, the installation went
perfectly, but the port vanished in the reboot.

I find that after I reboot, I can skip directly to the part about
adding a port, and then "Use Printer Online," and it is working again.
Not really all that painful. With practice, I am certain I can get it
down to 30-45 seconds, once a day.

So the suggestions didn't solve the problem, but helped me get it down
to a manageable level. Thanks!

--
Alan
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Thank you for the update. However, I have question regarding "I can skip
directly to the part about
adding a port" You should add the printer as local printer and re-map it as
a network printer. I am not sure why you need to add port.

--
> Bob,
>
> The HP 932C is sufficiently ancient that HP relies on MS for Vista
> drivers. I have checked with MS update, and I have the latest. The
> XP machine has the latest HP drivers, FWIW.
>
> I went through the suggestions which you included. They were
> variations on what I had done, and as before, the installation went
> perfectly, but the port vanished in the reboot.
>
> I find that after I reboot, I can skip directly to the part about
> adding a port, and then "Use Printer Online," and it is working again.
> Not really all that painful. With practice, I am certain I can get it
> down to 30-45 seconds, once a day.
>
> So the suggestions didn't solve the problem, but helped me get it down
> to a manageable level. Thanks!
>

> --
> Alan

Alan Biddle

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Bob,

This is one of the references within the reference you sent me:

http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4512

Essentially, after getting it installed the first time, I am jumping
to item 12. That new port is what gets lost with a reboot. The
driver is fine. I will mention that I have never seen the " Client
Side Rendering Provider" which the message references.

--
Alan
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Did you ever try adding the Printer from Vista>Network and Sharing>Add
Network Device>Browse to the XP's Printer>Install from there?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Alan Biddle" wrote:

> Bob,
>
> This is one of the references within the reference you sent me:
>
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4512
>
> Essentially, after getting it installed the first time, I am jumping
> to item 12. That new port is what gets lost with a reboot. The
> driver is fine. I will mention that I have never seen the " Client
> Side Rendering Provider" which the message references.
>

> --
> Alan

Alan Biddle

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Mich,

That I did. Didn't work, which is why I had to use the local printer
and redirection hack.

--
Alan
Fred

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Have the same problem with file sharing using my IBM laptop with Vista and
IBM Tower running XP. I can file share on the XP machine to the laptop but
not the opposite without resetting file and print sharing on the laptop
after rebooting. I have concluded that this is a security issue built into
the BIOS of the laptop. I polled the IBM newsgroup, but no responses. It
seems logical, though, since the laptop has a wireless antenna and if one
were to go to an internet cafe, then anyone could share the files on your
laptop with a little configuring.

Let me know if you ever resolve the issue.

Fred

> Mich,
>
> That I did. Didn't work, which is why I had to use the local printer
> and redirection hack.
>

> --
> Alan

Alan Biddle

Re: Vista laptop "forgets" how to share printer
Fred,

Oddly I can share both ways after the reboot, so this is probably
something slightly different. Anyway, stay tuned here for
suggestions, and if I find something, I will most certainly post the
secret.

--
Alan