Done everything and still not working......

Oahuyahoo

Done everything and still not working......
Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
Could it be my router?
oscar

RE: Done everything and still not working......
Can the Vista "see" the XP?
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Oahuyahoo" wrote:

> Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> Could it be my router?

Oahuyahoo

RE: Done everything and still not working......
Clear as a bell.

"oscar" wrote:

> Can the Vista "see" the XP?
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your very good friend...
>

> "Oahuyahoo" wrote:
>
> > Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> > I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> > Could it be my router?

Oahuyahoo

RE: Done everything and still not working......
Can't be the router, just got a new one. All the files and drives and
whatnot show up on the xp machine, I just can't access them.

"You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out it you have access permissions."

"Oahuyahoo" wrote:

> Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> Could it be my router?

Oahuyahoo

RE: Done everything and still not working......
Well folks I've had to go down every folder and enable permissions and I can
still only see a few folders. This is really a pitiful operating system and
a travesty is being kind.

"Oahuyahoo" wrote:

> Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> Could it be my router?

Mick Murphy

RE: Done everything and still not working......
Below is how I network XP and Vista; both wired through a router.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Oahuyahoo" wrote:

> Well folks I've had to go down every folder and enable permissions and I can
> still only see a few folders. This is really a pitiful operating system and
> a travesty is being kind.
>
> "Oahuyahoo" wrote:
>
> > Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> > I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> > Could it be my router?

Oahuyahoo

RE: Done everything and still not working......
as per my initial post I have done all of these things. I haven't created a
folder of any kind as I haven't had to do it in the past. This is simply
beyond me. I have two networked computers at another location and I
struggled like hell with those also. I will continue to go down the line and
enable each folder as I go I suppose, tremendous waste of time.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Below is how I network XP and Vista; both wired through a router.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Oahuyahoo" wrote:
>
> > Well folks I've had to go down every folder and enable permissions and I can
> > still only see a few folders. This is really a pitiful operating system and
> > a travesty is being kind.
> >
> > "Oahuyahoo" wrote:
> >
> > > Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit machine.
> > > I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and still nothing.
> > > Could it be my router?

Malke

Oahuyahoo wrote:

> Can't be the router, just got a new one. All the files and drives and
> whatnot show up on the xp machine, I just can't access them.
>
> "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out it you have access permissions."
>
> "Oahuyahoo" wrote:
>
>> Can't get XP to see the files and folders on my other Vista 64 bit
>> machine. I have done the readmes, Msoft knowledge base, everything and
>> still nothing. Could it be my router?

If you are getting that error, you either have misconfigured firewalls or
didn't create matching user accounts/passwords, or both. Please refer to
the instructions below.

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

LoneStar

"Oahuyahoo" <Oahuyahoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> as per my initial post I have done all of these things. I haven't created

> folder of any kind as I haven't had to do it in the past. This is simply
> beyond me. I have two networked computers at another location and I
> struggled like hell with those also. I will continue to go down the line

and
> enable each folder as I go I suppose, tremendous waste of time.

For what good it may do, I've had the same problem with my XP and Vista
network for the past 17 months! I've done everything too, except using the
same Name for the users of both my computers, and that SHOULD NOT be
necessary. My former XP to ME network and another XP to XP worked fine
(using Simple File Sharing) but this is different with Vista. And I've
given up. I use Vista's Public Folder now to transfer files between my
network computers, and that works well, but there's NO Way in Hell to access
Vista's "shared" folders from my XP. So I moved on!

Oahuyahoo

Re: Done everything and still not working......
Yeah that and so am I. I'll do the permission BS at the time I need
something but other than that so long.