Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium

lnfinity

Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
Is it possible using the same type of cable that I'd use to hook a router
with a computer, (yellow cable) to directly connect my laptop to my desktop
without having an adverse effect on my wireless network which has 3 systems
total on it?

Been trying to no avail, as I'm fairly new at the concept of networking..lol

lnfinity

RE: Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
In reading some of the other postings, I've realized I should probably add
some more info:

Desktop is running Vista 64 Premium with the Norton 360 trial version running

Laptop is running XP Pro SP3 with the Norton Protection Center that comes
with my ISP, ATT/Yahoo.

I've checked the firewall settings on both, and have made sure that the
correct sharing aspects are allowed per other posts here.

The DSL modem that was provided for me came with 2 cables...1 Yellow and 1
Blue. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong (yellow) cable for what I'm
attempting?

I set all 3 computers on my network up on a wireless configuration, but felt
that a direct connect between the laptop and my main desktop would allow for
much faster data transfer.

"lnfinity" wrote:

> Is it possible using the same type of cable that I'd use to hook a router
> with a computer, (yellow cable) to directly connect my laptop to my desktop
> without having an adverse effect on my wireless network which has 3 systems
> total on it?
>
> Been trying to no avail, as I'm fairly new at the concept of networking..lol

Paul Montgomery

Re: Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:04:10 -0700, lnfinity
<lnfinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is it possible using the same type of cable that I'd use to hook a router
>with a computer, (yellow cable) to directly connect my laptop to my desktop
>without having an adverse effect on my wireless network which has 3 systems
>total on it?
>
>Been trying to no avail, as I'm fairly new at the concept of networking..lol

The color of the cable means nothing: they come in all colors and
sizes.

The one you use to connect to your router is NOT what you would use to
connect two computers.

You need what is called a "crossover" cable to connect two computers.
lnfinity

Re: Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
Is there a way of telling if the second cable (blue) they sent me, (only
ever used the yellow one) is a crossover cable? I'm assuming that a crossover
cable can connect directly to each computer's nic card?...told you I'm new at
most of this, thus a bit clueless...lol

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:04:10 -0700, lnfinity
> <lnfinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible using the same type of cable that I'd use to hook a router
> >with a computer, (yellow cable) to directly connect my laptop to my desktop
> >without having an adverse effect on my wireless network which has 3 systems
> >total on it?
> >
> >Been trying to no avail, as I'm fairly new at the concept of networking..lol

> The color of the cable means nothing: they come in all colors and
> sizes.
>
> The one you use to connect to your router is NOT what you would use to
> connect two computers.
>
> You need what is called a "crossover" cable to connect two computers.

Paul Montgomery

Re: Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:20:06 -0700, lnfinity
<lnfinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way of telling if the second cable (blue) they sent me, (only
>ever used the yellow one) is a crossover cable? I'm assuming that a crossover
>cable can connect directly to each computer's nic card?...told you I'm new at
>most of this, thus a bit clueless...lol

BOTH types can connect. It's the wiring INSIDE the cable that makes
it different. You obviously do NOT have a crossover cable.

Go to a computer store in your area and ask for one. They know.

Check the drawings at this site for a visual look at the difference:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:20:06 -0700, lnfinity
> <lnfinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way of telling if the second cable (blue) they sent me, (only
> >ever used the yellow one) is a crossover cable? I'm assuming that a crossover
> >cable can connect directly to each computer's nic card?...told you I'm new at
> >most of this, thus a bit clueless...lol

> BOTH types can connect. It's the wiring INSIDE the cable that makes
> it different. You obviously do NOT have a crossover cable.
>
> Go to a computer store in your area and ask for one. They know.
>
> Check the drawings at this site for a visual look at the difference:
>
> http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the help. Did a look at Ebay as I don't have the
proper tools to do it meself, and found that they're not all that
expensive.....only question is Red or Grey...but I don't think that should
make a difference.

I do appreciate your timely answers, you're a good sport!

John
Paul Montgomery

Re: Connecting Laptop using XP to Desktop using Vista 64 Premium
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:31:00 -0700, lnfinity
<lnfinity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Paul, I appreciate the help. Did a look at Ebay as I don't have the
>proper tools to do it meself, and found that they're not all that
>expensive.....only question is Red or Grey...but I don't think that should
>make a difference.

BUY a cable at Best Buy, or order one from Newegg.com. Don't try to
MAKE one.

I only gave you that URL so you could see what the ends of a crossover
cable look like. They aren't the same.
sreenidhi b.s

connecting vista and xp through crossover
connecting xp and vista thorough crossover cable is really simple.check out the tutorial here for connecting the same via cross over cable.if you have any 3rd party av firewalls ,you should disable them before you attempt to connect.
Gordon

Re: connecting vista and xp through crossover
"sreenidhi b.s" wrote in message news:2008103111026sreenidhibs@gmail.com...
> connecting xp and vista thorough crossover cable is really simple.check
> out the tutorial here for connecting the same via cross over cable.if you
> have any 3rd party av firewalls ,you should disable them before you
> attempt to connect.

Tutorial WHERE? You forgot the URL. You are NOT posting to a forum hosted by
Egghead cafe you are posting to a global Usenet newsgroup.

Timothy Daniels

Re: connecting vista and xp through crossover
I wouldn't disable any anti-virus or firewall software, especially since
there will be Wi-Fi connections as part of the system. Just set the
firewalls to allow conncetions from the expected IP address of the
other computer.

*TimDaniels*