Internet Connected globe icon missing

TimC

Internet Connected globe icon missing

Windows Vista
Connection to Internet is via wireless router

When connected to the internet, for the last six months I always used to get
a small globe over the network icon in system tray. All of a sudden the globe
is gone. The network icon status is 'access:local only'
In network and sharing centre my internet connection has a red cross
However I AM connected to the internet
So far this is just an inconvenience and I'm not aware that this has
affected anything else or stopped anything from running. Microsoft auto
update ran normally!
Does anyone have any idea where the globe goes and how I can get it back?
Why would vista think I'm not connected to the internet when I actually am?
I have two computers, diferent wireless cards, both running vista, both
connected to the same wireless router, and both with exactly the same
problem, but the problem did not appear at the same time!
Sender

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

Seeing a similar issue -- happens at random but the globe icon
disappears and network center shows an X through the internet connection
despite the fact that Internet is working fine.

--
Sender

Location: Temecula, California
TheBoozer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same issue for the past 3 weeks. Spent days researching and trying to finda solution, no luck yet. Changed WiFi Adapter, changed router, changed router settings, changed WiFi settings and have done everything humanly possible (I think!) but still no luck. Of coure, no help from Microsoft as of yet! The globle shows up normally when I reboot but then disappears when it feels like it. This happens when browsing the internet and I can find nothing that triggers it.

I GIVE UP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!
thesailor13

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

I,ve been through the same problem but it,s over now . I downloaded msn
messenger beta and right after the first sign in the globe appeared
again . the connection speed has even become higher but all that
disappears if i sign out from the msn messenger .
i,m using adsl connection cable and running windows vista ultimate 32
bit .

i hope this info is useful somehow ,,,,, try it and you,ll see the
difference
bye bye...

--
thesailor13
thesailor13's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/thesailor13.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

GeneonMAC

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

I, too have the same issue, running Vista Home Premium on a VMware
Fusion Virtual Machine (on MACBook Pro). Have contacted Microsoft,
without any realistic approach to resolving the issue. They recommended
establishing another User Profile, but I cannot reason how a user
profile would impact this icon, which is simply inconsistent in
appearance, and am unwilling to go through the exercise. I can access
the Internet with or without the globe apparent. Just another in the
endless list of "Windows Issues" and inconsistencies. If anyone
resolves it, please post.

--
GeneonMAC
GeneonMAC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/geneonmac.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1023553.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jsd

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

This is a verizon copatability issue w/ MS, verizon issue not MS. Log on
to another network & problem goes away....

--
jsd
GeneonMAC

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

jsd:

I'm using Comcast for my Internet connection. Globe still "comes and
goes", while I'm still connected to the Internet. I am running on a VM
inside VMware Fusion. Don't know if that has anything to do with it,
though other posters have not indicated running Vista on a VM.

--
GeneonMAC
GeneonMAC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/geneonmac.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1023553.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dobbo

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing
The icon on my taskbar has a red cross telling me that I am not connected to
any networks, even though I am. This prevents me from using a VPN connection
which is most annoying.

I have tried in vain to find a solution.

Have a read of this:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-f96d7b063324/
--
Dobbo

"GeneonMAC" wrote:

> jsd:
>
> I'm using Comcast for my Internet connection. Globe still "comes and
> goes", while I'm still connected to the Internet. I am running on a VM
> inside VMware Fusion. Don't know if that has anything to do with it,
> though other posters have not indicated running Vista on a VM.
>

> --
> GeneonMAC
> GeneonMAC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/geneonmac.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1023553.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Ching

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing

(This looks like an old thread but it's okay. I'm happy to help.)

[MICROSOFT'S RESPONSE TO THIS ISSUE IS "IGNORE IT". READ THIS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945925] HAHAHAHA !!!

Hello,

I use Vista 64 bit and have had no problems since i installed it on my
newly built PC. This afternoon one of my games crashed and I had to hard
boot my machine. It came up again within a few seconds. Everything was
working. I logged in to Yahoo! to check my mails and started playing
some music. I wanted to increase the system volume, so I went down to
the notification area and that's when I noticed I had a red cross on the
network icon.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing the poor fella to
report I had no connection while I was actually connected locally to my
router as well as to the internet.

This was what seemed to have happened:

Many system and/or local services failed to shutdown gracefully when I
hard booted my machine and the Network List Service was one of them.
This is the service responsible for showing us available networks and
their status.

The Network List Service is by default set to automatic and should be
started at all times. It uses the module 'nlasvc.dll' located in
C:\Windows\System32\.

To resolve this problem, I simply restarted the Network List Service:

1. Press the Windows Logo key + R to get the Run box.
2. Type 'services.msc' (without the quotes) and press Enter.
3. Locate Network List Service.
4. Right click it and select 'Restart'.

In some cases, considering the service's dependencies and properties,
the above solution may not help. So we can also try the following:

(Please be warned!! Modifying system files incorrectly can do more harm
than good! So please proceed with caution!)

1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32
2. Locate 'nlasvc.dll'
3. Right-click and select its Properties
4. Go to the Security Tab and click on the Advanced button
5. Go to the Owner Tab
6. Under 'Change owner to' select your username and hit Apply and then
OK. (For home-users like us, we normally have our accounts configured
with Admnistrator rights, so we can set the owner as 'Administrators' as
well.)
7. Back on the Security Tab, select your user account and click on
Edit.
8. Under Permission for 'your username', put a check on the box beside
'Full control' and hit OK and then another OK to clear the properties
box.
9. Right-click 'nlasvc.dll' again, choose rename and change its name to
something like 'nlasvc.dll.old' or maybe 'nlasvc.dll.unwanted', anything
you like. Make sure you note down the new name.
10. Restart your computer.
11. Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the renamed file and
rename it back to 'nlasvc.dll'
12. Restart the Network List Service by following the fours steps I
wrote earlier.

Sorry about the long post.

- Ching

Ching
Ching's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48654.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1023553.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dobbo

Re: Internet Connected globe icon missing
Ching,

Thank you. No seriously, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have had this problem for over six months now. It prevented me from using
a VPN connection which I needed for work. I have been using 'LogMe In' as a
workaround.

I had scoured forums for ages with no avail.

I had to rename as in your second section but it worked first time.

Again, thank you.

--
Dobbo