Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
Arne
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
I have a home network with 2 XP desktops and 1 Vista laptop (Windows Vista
Business + SP1). I can access one od the desktops and his connected printer.
I cannot access the other desktop (XP Professional, version 2002, SP2) nor
the connected printer. I followed all the instructions in bb727037 and
searched this forum for solutions. I can ping the desktop, but typing
Start/Network and doubleclicking the desktopname always follows the message
'geen toegand tot \\MC2762' (no access to \\MC2762, i.e. the desktop name).
The only thing I didn't examine are possibilities around Guest-accounts.
Can anybody give me good advise. Thanks in advance.
Arne, Amstelveen, Holland
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
Arne wrote:

> I have a home network with 2 XP desktops and 1 Vista laptop (Windows Vista
> Business + SP1). I can access one od the desktops and his connected
> printer. I cannot access the other desktop (XP Professional, version 2002,
> SP2) nor the connected printer. I followed all the instructions in
> bb727037 and searched this forum for solutions. I can ping the desktop,
> but typing Start/Network and doubleclicking the desktopname always follows
> the message 'geen toegand tot \\MC2762' (no access to \\MC2762, i.e. the
> desktop name). The only thing I didn't examine are possibilities around
> Guest-accounts. Can anybody give me good advise. Thanks in advance.
> Arne, Amstelveen, Holland


Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
Arne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
Thanks Malke for you quick answer, but ...:
A. On the XP desktop only Windows Firewall is running. File/Printer Sharing
on the Exception tab is allowed. Not third party firewall, only
Virusprotection: Trend Micro OfficeScan Client for Windows.
B. All computers were on the same workgroup: WORKGROUP (for simplicity)
D. Simple File Sharing was on. I putted it off. Even after restart no
solution.
C. I created the 2 most important equal accounts and passwords on both
machines. (The Vista laptop has another 3 accounts, which are not used).
E. I creates already shared folders.
I still get the error message: No Access. Errorcode: 0x80070035. Answer on
'determining problem': 'De aanvraag kan niet aab de DNS-server worden
verzonden en de naam is onbekend bij de server': 'De request cannot be send
to the DNS-server and the name is unknown to the server'. I think the use of
the word AND here is peculiar.
The Vista laptop is protected by McAfee firewall choosing 'all access
granted'.
What now?
Regards Arne



"Malke" wrote:

> Arne wrote:
>
> > I have a home network with 2 XP desktops and 1 Vista laptop (Windows Vista
> > Business + SP1). I can access one od the desktops and his connected
> > printer. I cannot access the other desktop (XP Professional, version 2002,
> > SP2) nor the connected printer. I followed all the instructions in
> > bb727037 and searched this forum for solutions. I can ping the desktop,
> > but typing Start/Network and doubleclicking the desktopname always follows
> > the message 'geen toegand tot \\MC2762' (no access to \\MC2762, i.e. the
> > desktop name). The only thing I didn't examine are possibilities around
> > Guest-accounts. Can anybody give me good advise. Thanks in advance.
> > Arne, Amstelveen, Holland

>
> Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
> by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
> firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
> built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
> identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
> to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.
>
> A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
> traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
> Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
> XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
> will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
> third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
> Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
> fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
> with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
> would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
> NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.
>
> B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
> is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.
>
> C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
> need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
> directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
Arne wrote:

> Thanks Malke for you quick answer, but ...:
> A. On the XP desktop only Windows Firewall is running. File/Printer
> Sharing on the Exception tab is allowed. Not third party firewall, only
> Virusprotection: Trend Micro OfficeScan Client for Windows.
> B. All computers were on the same workgroup: WORKGROUP (for simplicity)
> D. Simple File Sharing was on. I putted it off. Even after restart no
> solution.
> C. I created the 2 most important equal accounts and passwords on both
> machines. (The Vista laptop has another 3 accounts, which are not used).
> E. I creates already shared folders.
> I still get the error message: No Access. Errorcode: 0x80070035. Answer on
> 'determining problem': 'De aanvraag kan niet aab de DNS-server worden
> verzonden en de naam is onbekend bij de server': 'De request cannot be
> send to the DNS-server and the name is unknown to the server'. I think the
> use of the word AND here is peculiar.
> The Vista laptop is protected by McAfee firewall choosing 'all access
> granted'.


Uninstall McAfee. Uninstall TrendMicro. Now try. If it works, replace both
those rather dreadful programs with something better. Recommended antivirus
programs are NOD32, Kaspersky, Avira, or Avast. The Windows Firewall is
adequate for most people.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
Arne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
I followed your advise: Unistalled Trend Micro from the desktop, uninstalled
McAfee from the laptop.
I also made the user accounts exactly the same on desktop and laptop (6
accounts) and I allowed on both a Guest account.
Restarted both.
Despite all the problem persists.

"Malke" wrote:

> Arne wrote:
>
> > Thanks Malke for you quick answer, but ...:
> > A. On the XP desktop only Windows Firewall is running. File/Printer
> > Sharing on the Exception tab is allowed. Not third party firewall, only
> > Virusprotection: Trend Micro OfficeScan Client for Windows.
> > B. All computers were on the same workgroup: WORKGROUP (for simplicity)
> > D. Simple File Sharing was on. I putted it off. Even after restart no
> > solution.
> > C. I created the 2 most important equal accounts and passwords on both
> > machines. (The Vista laptop has another 3 accounts, which are not used).
> > E. I creates already shared folders.
> > I still get the error message: No Access. Errorcode: 0x80070035. Answer on
> > 'determining problem': 'De aanvraag kan niet aab de DNS-server worden
> > verzonden en de naam is onbekend bij de server': 'De request cannot be
> > send to the DNS-server and the name is unknown to the server'. I think the
> > use of the word AND here is peculiar.
> > The Vista laptop is protected by McAfee firewall choosing 'all access
> > granted'.

>
> Uninstall McAfee. Uninstall TrendMicro. Now try. If it works, replace both
> those rather dreadful programs with something better. Recommended antivirus
> programs are NOD32, Kaspersky, Avira, or Avast. The Windows Firewall is
> adequate for most people.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
Arne wrote:

> I followed your advise: Unistalled Trend Micro from the desktop,
> uninstalled McAfee from the laptop.
> I also made the user accounts exactly the same on desktop and laptop (6
> accounts) and I allowed on both a Guest account.
> Restarted both.
> Despite all the problem persists.


Then I'm sorry, but without being able to see the computers I can't help
further. I suggest you get a computer professional on-site. Someone who
knows what they're doing can usually pinpoint these issues very quickly
while someone who doesn't have hands-on can't. Normally setting up such as
small network takes only a few minutes. I don't recommend using a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

I'm sorry that I was unable to help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
Arne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
Thanks anyway.
I hope somebody else takes over to help me.

"Malke" wrote:

> Arne wrote:
>
> > I followed your advise: Unistalled Trend Micro from the desktop,
> > uninstalled McAfee from the laptop.
> > I also made the user accounts exactly the same on desktop and laptop (6
> > accounts) and I allowed on both a Guest account.
> > Restarted both.
> > Despite all the problem persists.

>
> Then I'm sorry, but without being able to see the computers I can't help
> further. I suggest you get a computer professional on-site. Someone who
> knows what they're doing can usually pinpoint these issues very quickly
> while someone who doesn't have hands-on can't. Normally setting up such as
> small network takes only a few minutes. I don't recommend using a
> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.
>
> I'm sorry that I was unable to help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
Paul Montgomery
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:53:09 -0700, Arne
<Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks anyway.
>I hope somebody else takes over to help me.


I think you'd better follow her advice. She makes her living fixing
computers.

>"Malke" wrote:
>
>> Arne wrote:
>>
>> > I followed your advise: Unistalled Trend Micro from the desktop,
>> > uninstalled McAfee from the laptop.
>> > I also made the user accounts exactly the same on desktop and laptop (6
>> > accounts) and I allowed on both a Guest account.
>> > Restarted both.
>> > Despite all the problem persists.

>>
>> Then I'm sorry, but without being able to see the computers I can't help
>> further. I suggest you get a computer professional on-site. Someone who
>> knows what they're doing can usually pinpoint these issues very quickly
>> while someone who doesn't have hands-on can't. Normally setting up such as
>> small network takes only a few minutes. I don't recommend using a
>> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.
>>
>> I'm sorry that I was unable to help you.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2008
gaspard.leon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access XP desktop from Vista laptop

Thanks again to Microsoft for not making a GUI setting for an option
that causes home networking to not work correctly!!

anyway read what this guy has to say:
http://www.richardcleaver.com/?p=15

the short of it is if the setting of your DHCP NodeType is set to 2
then your home (workgroup, no DNS server) networking will never work
correctly.

You can check it by typing ipconfig /all at the command prompt and you
will see:


Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computername
Primary Dns Suffix. . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
NODE TYPE[/b] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
PEER-TO-PEER
...


IF THE NODE TYPE IS PEER-TO-PEER IT WILL NOT WORK!!!

TO RESET IT TO BROADCAST OR HYBRID OR ONE OF THE OTHER ONES THAT WORKS,
YOU NEED TO CHANGE 2 KEYS IN THE REGISTRY.

START > RUN > REGEDIT

FIND THE KEY(S):
[b]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVIC ES\NETBT\PARAMETERS


- DhcpNodeType
- NodeType


These are the 2 key names if either exist, and are set to 2 then you
are screwed... you can delete the keys which will set them to default
of 1... or you can set them to (1 or 4 or 8) any of which should
work...

The NodeType one if existing will override the DhcpNodeType one which
is set automatically upon joining certain networks (hence the problem).

Also after changing the value you need to restart for it to take
effect.

Read the link I put to Richard Cleaver's blog, that explains the
settings in detail.

Hope to help.


--
gaspard.leon
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gaspard.leon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gaspard-leon.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1023281.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP desktop can't access Vista Laptop. I've tried! Honestly! paisan microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 06-01-2008 23:46
vista laptop cannot access network shared folder of xp pro desktop Matty J microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 01-07-2008 06:49
XP desktop can't access Vista laptop via the network - a solution bill945@yahoo.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 12-24-2007 11:46
Cannot Access Internet On Vista Laptop From Networked XP Desktop gammo microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 09-22-2007 06:06
how do i gain access to the e-mail on my desktop from my laptop the human piranha microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 09-16-2007 13:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120