Vista cannot access Windows 2000

Victek

Vista cannot access Windows 2000
I have a customer with two networked PC's - one running Vista and the other
Windows 2000. File and printer sharing are setup on both PC's. The Win2000
PC can access the shares on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC cannot access the
Win2000 PC (the Win2000 PC shows up in the Vista network, but it cannot be
accessed). As far as I can tell all the settings are correct. Is this an
OS incompatibility and is there a fix? Thanks!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista cannot access Windows 2000
What's the system error if using net view \\windows2000serveripaddress?
System Errors
System error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied conflict
with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the user has not
been granted ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a customer with two networked PC's - one running Vista and the other
>Windows 2000. File and printer sharing are setup on both PC's. The
>Win2000 PC can access the shares on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC cannot
>access the Win2000 PC (the Win2000 PC shows up in the Vista network, but it
>cannot be accessed). As far as I can tell all the settings are correct.
>Is this an OS incompatibility and is there a fix? Thanks!

Victek

Re: Vista cannot access Windows 2000
Sorry, I don't remember what/if there was a system error number. When I
setup something similar between Vista and XP I'm remembering it was
necessary to create a user account on the XP system with the same user name
and password that I log into Vista with in order to access XP shares. Would
this be necessary with Win2000?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> What's the system error if using net view \\windows2000serveripaddress?
> System Errors
> System error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied conflict
> with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the user has
> not been granted ...
> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>I have a customer with two networked PC's - one running Vista and the
>>other Windows 2000. File and printer sharing are setup on both PC's. The
>>Win2000 PC can access the shares on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC cannot
>>access the Win2000 PC (the Win2000 PC shows up in the Vista network, but
>>it cannot be accessed). As far as I can tell all the settings are
>>correct. Is this an OS incompatibility and is there a fix? Thanks!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista cannot access Windows 2000
Yes, you can do that on windows 2000 too.

--
> Sorry, I don't remember what/if there was a system error number. When I
> setup something similar between Vista and XP I'm remembering it was
> necessary to create a user account on the XP system with the same user
> name and password that I log into Vista with in order to access XP shares.
> Would this be necessary with Win2000?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> What's the system error if using net view \\windows2000serveripaddress?
>> System Errors
>> System error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied conflict
>> with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the user has
>> not been granted ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I have a customer with two networked PC's - one running Vista and the
>>>other Windows 2000. File and printer sharing are setup on both PC's.
>>>The Win2000 PC can access the shares on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC
>>>cannot access the Win2000 PC (the Win2000 PC shows up in the Vista
>>>network, but it cannot be accessed). As far as I can tell all the
>>>settings are correct. Is this an OS incompatibility and is there a fix?
>>>Thanks!

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista cannot access Windows 2000
You have to set up identical user accounts when you network 2000 Pro and Vista.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Victek" wrote:

> Sorry, I don't remember what/if there was a system error number. When I
> setup something similar between Vista and XP I'm remembering it was
> necessary to create a user account on the XP system with the same user name
> and password that I log into Vista with in order to access XP shares. Would
> this be necessary with Win2000?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> > What's the system error if using net view \\windows2000serveripaddress?
> > System Errors
> > System error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied conflict
> > with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the user has
> > not been granted ...
> > www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
> >

> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >>I have a customer with two networked PC's - one running Vista and the
> >>other Windows 2000. File and printer sharing are setup on both PC's. The
> >>Win2000 PC can access the shares on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC cannot
> >>access the Win2000 PC (the Win2000 PC shows up in the Vista network, but
> >>it cannot be accessed). As far as I can tell all the settings are
> >>correct. Is this an OS incompatibility and is there a fix? Thanks!

Reg001

Re: Vista cannot access Windows 2000

Could you be more specific on how you set up identical user accounts for
both Win 2000 and Vista.

Thanks

--
Reg001