Internet Explorer not connecting to any sites

shaketyshake

Internet Explorer not connecting to any sites
My computer is connected to the internet, I can get AIM to work, so it isnt a connection problem, but Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari won't connect to any websites. I've reinstalled all of them to see if it was a problem with the program but since none of them work and my computer still has internet connectivity I'm at a loss to what to do. I think all my drivers are updated but I'm not too computer savvy so I wouldn't know what to do to troubleshoot them. I just have to say that Vista sucks!

Malke

Re: Internet Explorer not connecting to any sites
shaketyshake wrote:

> My computer is connected to the internet, I can get AIM to work, so it
> isnt a connection problem, but Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox, and
> Safari won't connect to any websites. I've reinstalled all of them to see
> if it was a problem with the program but since none of them work and my
> computer still has internet connectivity I'm at a loss to what to do. I
> think all my drivers are updated but I'm not too computer savvy so I
> wouldn't know what to do to troubleshoot them. I just have to say that
> Vista sucks!

All the Vista machines that have ever come into my shop and my own Vista
machine can get to the Internet just fine, so this isn't Vista sucking.
Something is wrong with your network and/or your computer. Unfortunately,
you've told us nothing about either so giving you focused help is
impossible. Please see these links for what details to include in your next
post to help us help you:

In the meantime, here are some general troubleshooting suggestions:

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Check your Internet connection. If you use broadband, power-cycle your modem
and router (if you have one) by unplugging first the router and then the
modem. Wait 30-60 seconds. Plug in the modem, wait until its lights come
one, plug in the router. Test. If you can get to the Internet, great. If
not, if you have a router connect the computer directly to the cable/DSL
modem. If you can get to the Internet, your router is faulty and needs to
be replaced. If you still can't get to the Internet, contact your ISP.

Check your antivirus/security settings. If you are running McAfee or Norton,
possibly something has changed with those programs that is blocking the
Internet. Do not connect directly to the Internet (connected to the modem
directly) without a firewall, even for testing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!