SSID not transmitted=No connection

Andy Whitney

SSID not transmitted=No connection
I have an access point that I want to hide the ssid.

However when I hide it, my vista laptop can no longer see the access point
therefore it cannot connect.

I have been unhiding, then connecting, then unhiding again since once
connected the vista laptop will continue the connection.

How can I connect to an access point that I know all the connection
parameters but has a hidden ssid?

TIA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: SSID not transmitted=No connection
Hi
There is No Point to hide the SSID it is Not a security feature. Use WPA or
WPA2 if your hardware can do it.
Any one who know basic Wireless and want to "Steal" your connection can find
your Network without the SSID on in few minutes.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ssid
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Andy Whitney" <andybw@flash.net> wrote in message
>I have an access point that I want to hide the ssid.
>
> However when I hide it, my vista laptop can no longer see the access point
> therefore it cannot connect.
>
> I have been unhiding, then connecting, then unhiding again since once
> connected the vista laptop will continue the connection.
>
> How can I connect to an access point that I know all the connection
> parameters but has a hidden ssid?
>
> TIA

George W. Barrowcliff

Andy Whitney wrote:
> I have an access point that I want to hide the ssid.
>
> However when I hide it, my vista laptop can no longer see the access point
> therefore it cannot connect.
>
> I have been unhiding, then connecting, then unhiding again since once
> connected the vista laptop will continue the connection.
>
> How can I connect to an access point that I know all the connection
> parameters but has a hidden ssid?
>
> TIA

Yes, I understand with the correct software my neighbor can find my
hidden ssid. The problem I am having with that is that Vista cannot
connect to a hidden ssid, at least no way I can find. In XP and 2K if I
knew the ssid and passphrase I could connect but Vista won't allow it.

As soon as I can get the router/Vista config to work reliable together I
would simply like to hide the ssid. My neighbor needs help turning on a
light bulb so I am confident he won't be able to connect to a hidden
ssid, problem is neither can I.

GWB
Sven Pran

"George W. Barrowcliff" <george.barrowcliff@flash.net> wrote in message
> Andy Whitney wrote:
>> I have an access point that I want to hide the ssid.
>>
>> However when I hide it, my vista laptop can no longer see the access
>> point therefore it cannot connect.
>>
>> I have been unhiding, then connecting, then unhiding again since once
>> connected the vista laptop will continue the connection.
>>
>> How can I connect to an access point that I know all the connection
>> parameters but has a hidden ssid?
>>
>> TIA

> Yes, I understand with the correct software my neighbor can find my hidden
> ssid. The problem I am having with that is that Vista cannot connect to a
> hidden ssid, at least no way I can find. In XP and 2K if I
> knew the ssid and passphrase I could connect but Vista won't allow it.
>
> As soon as I can get the router/Vista config to work reliable together I
> would simply like to hide the ssid. My neighbor needs help turning on a
> light bulb so I am confident he won't be able to connect to a hidden ssid,
> problem is neither can I.
>
> GWB

The way I was explained how XP works with hidden SSID was that it broadcasts
the desired SSID and listen for reply.

This means that although nobody could get the SSID from the access point,
instead they would get it from the client!

With this explanation in mind I quit using hidden SSID long before going to
Vista so I don't know how Vista works. But it seems reasonable that Vista
for security reasons does not support hidden SSID?

regards Sven

PaulB

RE: SSID not transmitted=No connection
Hi,