Remote desktop limitations

Lightrope

Remote desktop limitations
Hi All,

I can run remote desktop on my Vista PC and connect to my WinXP PC. I have
not been able to make it work the other way. Is this an innate limitation or
is this problem solvable?

Victor Constantinescu

Re: Remote desktop limitations
Hi,
On the Vista system:
Right click Computer > Properties > Remote settings > "Allow connections
from computers running any version of Remote desktop (less secure)"

--
Victor Constantinescu aka YounGun
Security MVP

"Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I can run remote desktop on my Vista PC and connect to my WinXP PC. I have
> not been able to make it work the other way. Is this an innate limitation
> or is this problem solvable?

Steve Winograd

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:50:40 -0700, "Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I can run remote desktop on my Vista PC and connect to my WinXP PC. I have
>not been able to make it work the other way. Is this an innate limitation or
>is this problem solvable?

Remote desktop works in both directions between Vista and XP.

On Vista, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings >
Remote. Select "Allow connections from computers running any version
of Remote Desktop" and click OK. Then try accessing Vista from XP.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please give us more information.
How are you trying to connect to the Vista PC from XP? What exactly
happens when you do it? If there's an error message, what does it
say? Etc.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Lightrope

Re: Remote desktop limitations
I'm running MS Home Premium Vista. That particular setting is not available
to me. In advanced remote settings, I can choose to send remote invitations
that can only be used by system running Vista. That selection I have left
unchecked so that my Vista PC can serve as a remote desktop for my WinXP
system. Unless, I can find a selection to permit connections from any
version of remote desktop, like you describe, I guess I am defeated.

"Victor Constantinescu" <victor@castlecops.org> wrote

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 01:02:34 -0700, "Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>I'm running MS Home Premium Vista. That particular setting is not available
>to me. In advanced remote settings, I can choose to send remote invitations
>that can only be used by system running Vista. That selection I have left
>unchecked so that my Vista PC can serve as a remote desktop for my WinXP
>system. Unless, I can find a selection to permit connections from any
>version of remote desktop, like you describe, I guess I am defeated.

Vista Home Premium can't act as a Remote Desktop host. Only Vista
Business and Ultimate can.

You can control Vista Home Premium remotely using RealVNC, available
free from:

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html

Install the server on Vista and the viewer on XP.

"Steve Winograd" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 01:02:34 -0700, "Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm running MS Home Premium Vista. That particular setting is not
>>available
>>to me. In advanced remote settings, I can choose to send remote
>>invitations
>>that can only be used by system running Vista. That selection I have left
>>unchecked so that my Vista PC can serve as a remote desktop for my WinXP
>>system. Unless, I can find a selection to permit connections from any
>>version of remote desktop, like you describe, I guess I am defeated.

> Vista Home Premium can't act as a Remote Desktop host. Only Vista
> Business and Ultimate can.
>
> You can control Vista Home Premium remotely using RealVNC, available
> free from:
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html
>
> Install the server on Vista and the viewer on XP.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

What about Citrix? There is a Citrix client on the WinXP Pro CD and there is
a Citrix XensServer available for download from http://www.citrix.com/ after
registration. Remote Desktop is based on Citrix software and it support
Windows GDI API calls.

I've put a few happy moments into realvnc and I haven't got it to work yet.
Maybe realvnc has a problem with Vista DirectX 10.0?

Adam

Re: Remote desktop limitations
XP Home could, why can't Vista Home?

"Steve Winograd" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 01:02:34 -0700, "Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm running MS Home Premium Vista. That particular setting is not
>>available
>>to me. In advanced remote settings, I can choose to send remote
>>invitations
>>that can only be used by system running Vista. That selection I have left
>>unchecked so that my Vista PC can serve as a remote desktop for my WinXP
>>system. Unless, I can find a selection to permit connections from any
>>version of remote desktop, like you describe, I guess I am defeated.

> Vista Home Premium can't act as a Remote Desktop host. Only Vista
> Business and Ultimate can.
>
> You can control Vista Home Premium remotely using RealVNC, available
> free from:
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html
>
> Install the server on Vista and the viewer on XP.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Paul Montgomery

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:55:05 -0400, "Adam" <adam@nospam.com> wrote:

>XP Home could, why can't Vista Home?

Because.

>"Steve Winograd" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:dgdia45einpbtkpubvorevn0hq8m7h2tc0@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 01:02:34 -0700, "Lightrope" <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running MS Home Premium Vista. That particular setting is not
>>>available
>>>to me. In advanced remote settings, I can choose to send remote
>>>invitations
>>>that can only be used by system running Vista. That selection I have left
>>>unchecked so that my Vista PC can serve as a remote desktop for my WinXP
>>>system. Unless, I can find a selection to permit connections from any
>>>version of remote desktop, like you describe, I guess I am defeated.

>> Vista Home Premium can't act as a Remote Desktop host. Only Vista
>> Business and Ultimate can.
>>
>> You can control Vista Home Premium remotely using RealVNC, available
>> free from:
>>
>> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html
>>
>> Install the server on Vista and the viewer on XP.
>> --
>> Best Wishes,
>> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote desktop limitations
No, XP Home could never natively act as a Remote Desktop [RDC] host only XP
Pro and MCE editions could. There are/were unsupported hacks that would add
this functionality.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375