Vista to Vista Networking

Nogginsaked

Vista to Vista Networking
Two Vista computers are set with full permissions to access each other's
hard drives.
However no matter how sharing/permissions etc are set up Vista will not
allow the computers to access each other's files. There is no password or
other restrictions to access.
They are both in the same workgroup, the Vista firewall can be on or off
with the same problems.
I have followed all the MS Knowledgeless Base instructions for settings and
subsettings. My settings are identical to those shown in the Microsoft
instructions but access is still denied.
I do not want to use the "Public" folder, the computers need direct access
to each other's hard drives and all files on them without exception,
excluding what Microsoft considers the sacred and holy Windows folder.
I have learned to accept the time by your stopwatch slower than XP
performance of Vista but the networking problems seem hopeless.

chinga69

Re: Vista to Vista Networking

to share hard drives in vista you need to right click on hard drive and
select properties
then security tab then advanced/ edit/ add/ advanced/ find now/ and
add everyone
give full permission then you can access from the network after
sharing

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69
Malke

Nogginsaked wrote:

> Two Vista computers are set with full permissions to access each other's
> hard drives.
> However no matter how sharing/permissions etc are set up Vista will not
> allow the computers to access each other's files. There is no password or
> other restrictions to access.
> They are both in the same workgroup, the Vista firewall can be on or off
> with the same problems.
> I have followed all the MS Knowledgeless Base instructions for settings
> and subsettings. My settings are identical to those shown in the Microsoft
> instructions but access is still denied.
> I do not want to use the "Public" folder, the computers need direct access
> to each other's hard drives and all files on them without exception,
> excluding what Microsoft considers the sacred and holy Windows folder.
> I have learned to accept the time by your stopwatch slower than XP
> performance of Vista but the networking problems seem hopeless.

Create identical user accounts AND passwords and you'll be able to share.
See below.

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP