Cannot move files - Vista & XP network

Gordon

Cannot move files - Vista & XP network
First off, I have read and followed (at least I think I have followed)

Basic system info:

A Vista Home Premium Machine -- I just did a clean install because I
was having issues. The Network was OK with the previous Vista
install. All Vista updates installed. 3 Other PCs on my LAN, all XP
Pro. These machines also current with updates. Only firewalls used
are Windows Vista and XP firewalls - they are in default settings.

The Vista machine is 9 month old Dell Desktop, shipped with Vista
installed.

Problem -

I can not copy, move read or even "see" files located the "Documents"
folder on the Vista machine from any XP machine. I can copy files
from any machine to the Vista machine. I can copy files to XP
machines when I am working with the keyboard & mouse of the Vista
machine. I can copy, at will, between any combination of the XP
machines. The files in question are located in Folders which have
been Shared as per the link at the start of this post.

When I attempt to access the Vista machine via my LAN, I get an error
message saying
"\\VistaMachineName\FolderName is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use thie network resource. Contact the administrator of
this server to find out if you have access permissions."

In the Permissions window, I have checked Allowed for Full Control,
Change and Read.

If I "share" the Public Folder on the Vista machine items in that
folder are shared perfectly -- but I want to share all folders and
files on the Vista machine.

I do have the following turned "on" at the Vista machine:

Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and Printer
Sharing.
Password Protected Sharing and Media Sharing are Off.

I do not know if this is a clue or not, but nowhere on the Vista
machine are there any indications folders have been shared in the
icons associated with Shared folders (the exception is the Public
Folder) On XP machines there is a "hand" and I thought previously I
had little heads & shoulders on shared folders in Documents of the
Vista machine -- but I may be dreaming that.

Gordon
Atlanta, GA
USA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Cannot move files - Vista & XP network
Hi
Just in case you forgot something.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.