Re: In Vista SP1: IE7 cannot display any pages, but network is OK

Robert Aldwinckle

"DrGary83" <DrGary83@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing the latest updates, yesterday and today, to Vista Home
> Premium (SP1) and IE7 (and lots of other MS products on my machine) now IE7
> ALWAYS shows "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" with
> res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# in the bottom (progress?) bar. Doing the

> Diagnostic shows no network problems.

Unfortunately that is not proof that you will have connectivity
using the iexplore.exe module (e.g. when a firewall doesn't
allow it to use any outbound ports).

> None of the Repair wizards or manual
> methods in the MS troubleshooting pages helps (clearing caches, resetting
> options, disabling add-ins etc.)

> The VERY odd thing is that MS update has no
> trouble getting updates, so I know it's not a generic connectivity or
> addressing problem.

Only if the app being used to do that is iexplore.exe. Is it?
I have seen signs that Vista uses a different app?
Does IE7 on Vista still have the Tools, Windows Update
menu item? What happens if you try that? (Symptoms in detail
please.)

> Local file sharing is fine. All other computers (XP!) on
> the same LAN, sharing the same gateway, have no internet access problems.

> Of course I've also tried temporarily pausing my Kaspersky IS, and disabling its
> firewall (since I'm behind a NAT router it's not instant death). No help at
> all.

Others have found that disabling a software firewall isn't always
complete. They have to uninstall it (sometimes uninstall it using
special tools) to be completely rid of its interfering effects.
In any case are you sure that you have *allowed* the current
copy of iexplore.exe to be used over your firewall? The usual
problem is that the updated iexplore.exe is regarded a possible
Trojan until the user allows the modified version to be used.

> I'm a developer myself, and while I'm not an IT support pro, I'm very far
> from clueless, usually. This has me utterly stumped.
> Ironically, this happened on my laptop which I'll be taking to Redmond this
> Monday for Devscovery. It sure would be useful to be able to use IE during
> the conference!
>
> Any real help would be greatly appreciated!

This is really a problem with your security or networking
and not just IE so you're more likely to get informed help
from a newsgroup which specializes in it. I don't use Vista
or your firewall app. Cross-posting to Vista Networking
for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

DrGary83

Re: In Vista SP1: IE7 cannot display any pages, but network is OK
Thanks for your inputs, too!

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "DrGary83" <DrGary83@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After installing the latest updates, yesterday and today, to Vista Home
> > Premium (SP1) and IE7 (and lots of other MS products on my machine) now IE7
> > ALWAYS shows "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" with
> > res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# in the bottom (progress?) bar. Doing the

> > Diagnostic shows no network problems.

> Unfortunately that is not proof that you will have connectivity
> using the iexplore.exe module (e.g. when a firewall doesn't
> allow it to use any outbound ports).

Exactly; that's why this is not just a loose cable, a bad IP address, or
some obvious network setup problem.

> > None of the Repair wizards or manual
> > methods in the MS troubleshooting pages helps (clearing caches, resetting
> > options, disabling add-ins etc.)

> > The VERY odd thing is that MS update has no
> > trouble getting updates, so I know it's not a generic connectivity or
> > addressing problem.

> Only if the app being used to do that is iexplore.exe. Is it?
> I have seen signs that Vista uses a different app?
> Does IE7 on Vista still have the Tools, Windows Update
> menu item? What happens if you try that? (Symptoms in detail
> please.)

Windows Update works fine both through IE and from the start button!
So, other apps access the internet just fine, showing (I think) that the DNS
isn't hosed.

> > Local file sharing is fine. All other computers (XP!) on
> > the same LAN, sharing the same gateway, have no internet access problems.

> > Of course I've also tried temporarily pausing my Kaspersky IS, and disabling its
> > firewall (since I'm behind a NAT router it's not instant death). No help at
> > all.

> Others have found that disabling a software firewall isn't always
> complete. They have to uninstall it (sometimes uninstall it using
> special tools) to be completely rid of its interfering effects.
> In any case are you sure that you have *allowed* the current
> copy of iexplore.exe to be used over your firewall? The usual
> problem is that the updated iexplore.exe is regarded a possible
> Trojan until the user allows the modified version to be used.

Yes, I'm trying ever-more-drastic uninstall/reinstall scenarios using the
removal tools from the Norton (I used to have Norton IS -- argh, but another
story) and Kaspersky.

> > I'm a developer myself, and while I'm not an IT support pro, I'm very far
> > from clueless, usually. This has me utterly stumped.
> > Ironically, this happened on my laptop which I'll be taking to Redmond this
> > Monday for Devscovery. It sure would be useful to be able to use IE during
> > the conference!
> >
> > Any real help would be greatly appreciated!

> This is really a problem with your security or networking
> and not just IE so you're more likely to get informed help
> from a newsgroup which specializes in it. I don't use Vista
> or your firewall app. Cross-posting to Vista Networking
> for convenience.

I really don't think it's a networking problem. Somewhere on my box, a
"security" component is discriminating against the updated IE. I have
disabled KIS's firewall, even exited the program and looked to see that the
process wasn't using CPU anymore. I've tried disabling both KIS and Windows
FWs. No joy.

> Good luck

Thanks! I think I need it.