WRT54G Locks Up

Spirit

WRT54G Locks Up
WRT54G used as access point locks up/out Internet Access until a short time
power off every 48 hours give or take a few. This is V8.0 with updated Firmware.

We had two at old job several years old, I was not in charge of them, and they also
had to be powered off occasionally. All still function, meaning they send wireless
signals however internet access is lost.

Any ideas? Not a huge issue but annoying.
Steve Winograd

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:27:59 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net>
wrote:

>WRT54G used as access point locks up/out Internet Access until a short time
>power off every 48 hours give or take a few. This is V8.0 with updated Firmware.
>
>We had two at old job several years old, I was not in charge of them, and they also
>had to be powered off occasionally. All still function, meaning they send wireless
>signals however internet access is lost.
>
>Any ideas? Not a huge issue but annoying.

Check for a firmware update for the WRT54G, and install it if
available.

Consider replacing it with a router from a different manufacturer.
I've seen so many problems with Linksys gear that I won't buy anything
made by Linksys for myself or my consulting clients.

If you get a new router, make sure that it has the "Certified for
Windows Vista" logo.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Spirit

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
As I said in message I have the updated firmware,,,,, just wonder if
others have same issue since all 3 I have any experience with do the
same thing.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:43:08 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net>
wrote:

>>>WRT54G used as access point locks up/out Internet Access until a short time
>>>power off every 48 hours give or take a few. This is V8.0 with updated Firmware.
>>>
>>>We had two at old job several years old, I was not in charge of them, and they also
>>>had to be powered off occasionally. All still function, meaning they send wireless
>>>signals however internet access is lost.
>>>
>>>Any ideas? Not a huge issue but annoying.

>> Check for a firmware update for the WRT54G, and install it if
>> available.
>>
>> Consider replacing it with a router from a different manufacturer.
>> I've seen so many problems with Linksys gear that I won't buy anything
>> made by Linksys for myself or my consulting clients.
>>
>> If you get a new router, make sure that it has the "Certified for
>> Windows Vista" logo.

>As I said in message I have the updated firmware,,,,, just wonder if
>others have same issue since all 3 I have any experience with do the
>same thing.

Vista sends out types of network traffic that earlier versions of
Windows didn't, which might cause a router with poor firmware to lock
up.

Run the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool to test your router for
Vista compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Spirit

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
It passed the test. I think the issue here is a hardware problem inherent
in LinkSys. Is it possible there is some sort of timing that will kick out
a internet access yet leave the network up?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:30:08 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net>
wrote:

>>>As I said in message I have the updated firmware,,,,, just wonder if
>>>others have same issue since all 3 I have any experience with do the
>>>same thing.

>> Vista sends out types of network traffic that earlier versions of
>> Windows didn't, which might cause a router with poor firmware to lock
>> up.
>>
>> Run the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool to test your router for
>> Vista compatibility:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

>It passed the test. I think the issue here is a hardware problem inherent
>in LinkSys. Is it possible there is some sort of timing that will kick out
>a internet access yet leave the network up?

I'm sorry, but I don't know. You might get an answer in the Linksys
forums:

http://forums.linksys.com/
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Alan Biddle

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
As someone suggested, go to the Linksys support forum. However, I
doubt if you will find a good answer. The problem you mention is very
common, over a wide range of equipment revisions, and seems to have
gotten much worse around the beginning of this year. It was
conjectured at the time that there was some sort of worm causing the
problem.

I get my connection via DSL and finally "solved" the problem by moving
the router to a switched line so that it is never on for more than a
day at a time. Obviously not a good solution for many. Oddly, I have
a good friend with the same computers and OS, and the same router
hardware revision, who gets his connection from his cable company and
has never had a problem in over a year.

--
Alan
Spirit

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
Well as I said the other two I am familiar with were several years old
versions and they had issue from day one. Since I had no access to
their setup I could only unplug them often which did work to re-establish
internet access through them. Mine has upgraded firmware and is newer
and does the same thing. 3 for 3 is strange to me unless a known issue
with the LinkSys WRT54G.

"Alan Biddle" <ALANBIDDLE70@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message news:nkvga41hi5dq8magoacihkdtv500cpkj4d@4ax.com...
> As someone suggested, go to the Linksys support forum. However, I
> doubt if you will find a good answer. The problem you mention is very
> common, over a wide range of equipment revisions, and seems to have
> gotten much worse around the beginning of this year. It was
> conjectured at the time that there was some sort of worm causing the
> problem.
>
> I get my connection via DSL and finally "solved" the problem by moving
> the router to a switched line so that it is never on for more than a
> day at a time. Obviously not a good solution for many. Oddly, I have
> a good friend with the same computers and OS, and the same router
> hardware revision, who gets his connection from his cable company and
> has never had a problem in over a year.
>

> --
> Alan

Gordon

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
I am far from an expert and in fact I am having issues today, but I find the
comments about the WRT54G as odd. That router is listed by Microsoft as Vista
Compatible. This is certainly in the USA a very common router and might be the
most common. While any piece of electronic gear can become defective, I find
the idea the WRT54G is inherently defective hard to accept. This beast has many
things that can be adjusted. If you think you have a router issue, as others
have said, update the firmware and then Reset the router. There is a very
straight forward set of directions at the Linksys site.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:20:43 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote:

>Well as I said the other two I am familiar with were several years old
>versions and they had issue from day one. Since I had no access to
>their setup I could only unplug them often which did work to re-establish
>internet access through them. Mine has upgraded firmware and is newer
>and does the same thing. 3 for 3 is strange to me unless a known issue
>with the LinkSys WRT54G.
>
>"Alan Biddle" <ALANBIDDLE70@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message news:nkvga41hi5dq8magoacihkdtv500cpkj4d@4ax.com...
>> As someone suggested, go to the Linksys support forum. However, I
>> doubt if you will find a good answer. The problem you mention is very
>> common, over a wide range of equipment revisions, and seems to have
>> gotten much worse around the beginning of this year. It was
>> conjectured at the time that there was some sort of worm causing the
>> problem.
>>
>> I get my connection via DSL and finally "solved" the problem by moving
>> the router to a switched line so that it is never on for more than a
>> day at a time. Obviously not a good solution for many. Oddly, I have
>> a good friend with the same computers and OS, and the same router
>> hardware revision, who gets his connection from his cable company and
>> has never had a problem in over a year.
>>

>> --
>> Alan

Spirit

Re: WRT54G Locks Up
Since the older two were on 98 and XP systems the OS is not an issue.
When I bought mine I thought making sure the firmware was updated
probably would fix problem since the 2+ and 3+ year old ones at work
never had firmware updated. Either I have bad luck in being exposed to
3 rare routers this has to be more prevalent. Router is properly set up
and except for internet access works well. Have no clue on why these
lose their internet at times.