Not being prompted for encryption key

4hits

Not being prompted for encryption key

Dell XPS M1530, Vista Home, Linksys WRT54GS.

For the past 2 years I have had my XP desktop and my XP notebook
connected wirelessly - WEP encryption - to my Linksys router with zero
problems.

Last night I tried to connect my new Dell to my network - the computer
sees my network so I click on it - but I am not being prompted to enter
the WEP key. The message say it cannot connect.

When I click on my neighbor's secure network, I am being prompted to
enter his key - but I don't know it!!!!

I tried to add my network manually, inputing the SSID name, WEP key,
etc., but still will not connect.

When I cable-connect the computer to the router I have internet
connection.

I cannot figure out why I am not being prompted for the WEP key, and I
cannot figure out why when I add the network manually I still have no
success.

--
4hits
Mick Murphy

RE: Not being prompted for encryption key
1. Go to the Router's manufacturer's website and look for Firmware Update
that is for Vista compatibility.
2. Make sure you have a tatest Network Adaptor drivers for the laptop.
3. In the laptop's Network Connection>Right-click it>Properties>unbind
TCP/IPv6, and see if that will improve wireless connection.

Look for router Firmware Update first.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"4hits" wrote:

> Dell XPS M1530, Vista Home, Linksys WRT54GS.
>
> For the past 2 years I have had my XP desktop and my XP notebook
> connected wirelessly - WEP encryption - to my Linksys router with zero
> problems.
>
> Last night I tried to connect my new Dell to my network - the computer
> sees my network so I click on it - but I am not being prompted to enter
> the WEP key. The message say it cannot connect.
>
> When I click on my neighbor's secure network, I am being prompted to
> enter his key - but I don't know it!!!!
>
> I tried to add my network manually, inputing the SSID name, WEP key,
> etc., but still will not connect.
>
> When I cable-connect the computer to the router I have internet
> connection.
>
> I cannot figure out why I am not being prompted for the WEP key, and I
> cannot figure out why when I add the network manually I still have no
> success.
>

> --
> 4hits

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Not being prompted for encryption key
Hi
If the Wireless MAC filter is On you need to set it to Off and register the
New Laptop's Wireless MAC address,
Alternatively it can be WEP passphrase generation,
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
BTW the Linksys Wireless can do WPA as well as WinXP and Vista.
WPA is much more secure and works better than the old :beaten" WEP.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

4hits" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Dell XPS M1530, Vista Home, Linksys WRT54GS.
>
> For the past 2 years I have had my XP desktop and my XP notebook
> connected wirelessly - WEP encryption - to my Linksys router with zero
> problems.
>
> Last night I tried to connect my new Dell to my network - the computer
> sees my network so I click on it - but I am not being prompted to enter
> the WEP key. The message say it cannot connect.
>
> When I click on my neighbor's secure network, I am being prompted to
> enter his key - but I don't know it!!!!
>
> I tried to add my network manually, inputing the SSID name, WEP key,
> etc., but still will not connect.
>
> When I cable-connect the computer to the router I have internet
> connection.
>
> I cannot figure out why I am not being prompted for the WEP key, and I
> cannot figure out why when I add the network manually I still have no
> success.
>

> --
> 4hits

4hits

Re: Not being prompted for encryption key

Thank you Jack...you hit on the exact problem.

I disabled the MAC filter because I saw only two computers listed; my
new one wasn't there.

So now I get the encryption prompt and all is well.

--
4hits