Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro

CJ

Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
I had no trouble connecting my laptop to my wireless router for internet
access, but I cannot connect to my home network properly. I installed the
LLTD Responder on the XP machines, and I can see them on the network map, but
I cannot access their shared files, nor can I see them when I view the actual
network. The Vista machines workgroup has the same name as the XP ones. BTW
the XP machines can't seem to find the laptop either.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
Have a read of info below, especially XP's file sharing Network wizard.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"CJ" wrote:

> I had no trouble connecting my laptop to my wireless router for internet
> access, but I cannot connect to my home network properly. I installed the
> LLTD Responder on the XP machines, and I can see them on the network map, but
> I cannot access their shared files, nor can I see them when I view the actual
> network. The Vista machines workgroup has the same name as the XP ones. BTW
> the XP machines can't seem to find the laptop either.

CJ

RE: Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
I first messed with the Norton Firewall settings (which were really weird,
because they had a "block windows file sharing" and an "allow windows file
sharing" checkboxes and both were selected. :S)

Then I tried to turn off password protection on the vista machine, but it
kept on alerting me with "the parameter is incorrect."

I ran the network setup wizard on one of the machines, but it didn't change
anything.

I tried plugging into the router because the vista laptop was connecting
wirelessly and the XP desktops were wired. I ran the windows XP Network setup
on the XP machines, but they still didn't detect the laptop even after I
tried running the network setup disk on the laptop.

This is driving me nuts! I can't figure out what's wrong here.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read of info below, especially XP's file sharing Network wizard.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "CJ" wrote:
>
> > I had no trouble connecting my laptop to my wireless router for internet
> > access, but I cannot connect to my home network properly. I installed the
> > LLTD Responder on the XP machines, and I can see them on the network map, but
> > I cannot access their shared files, nor can I see them when I view the actual
> > network. The Vista machines workgroup has the same name as the XP ones. BTW
> > the XP machines can't seem to find the laptop either.

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
Nowhere have I said to run the XP setup wizard on the Vista Laptop!
Why would you!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"CJ" wrote:

> [...]
> > set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> > work for XP machines!).
> >
> > In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> > OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> > and Printer Sharing.
> >
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "CJ" wrote:
> >
> > > I had no trouble connecting my laptop to my wireless router for internet
> > > access, but I cannot connect to my home network properly. I installed the
> > > LLTD Responder on the XP machines, and I can see them on the network map, but
> > > I cannot access their shared files, nor can I see them when I view the actual
> > > network. The Vista machines workgroup has the same name as the XP ones. BTW
> > > the XP machines can't seem to find the laptop either.

Good question. It's never worked; I just ran it because nothing else was
working. BTW the "parameter is incorrect" message stopped coming up after I
restarted my computer. So all the settings on the vista laptop are correct
now. The network still isn't working.

Is it an issue if the network map shows the laptop connected to the router
and the desktops to a "switch" that is connected to the router?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Nowhere have I said to run the XP setup wizard on the Vista Laptop!
> Why would you!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "CJ" wrote:
>
> > I first messed with the Norton Firewall settings (which were really weird,
> > because they had a "block windows file sharing" and an "allow windows file
> > sharing" checkboxes and both were selected. :S)
> >
> > Then I tried to turn off password protection on the vista machine, but it
> > kept on alerting me with "the parameter is incorrect."
> >
> > I ran the network setup wizard on one of the machines, but it didn't change
> > anything.
> >
> > I tried plugging into the router because the vista laptop was connecting
> > wirelessly and the XP desktops were wired. I ran the windows XP Network setup
> > on the XP machines, but they still didn't detect the laptop even after I
> > tried running the network setup disk on the laptop.
> >
> > This is driving me nuts! I can't figure out what's wrong here.
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > Have a read of info below, especially XP's file sharing Network wizard.
> > >
> > > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> > >
> > > Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> > >
> > > Permissions/Share info is there as well.
> > >
> > > If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> > > sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> > > Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
> > >
> > > 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> > > the SAME.
> > >
> > > In Vista Network and Sharing:
> > >
> > > Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
> > >
> > > Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
> > >
> > > File Sharing: ON
> > >
> > > Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> > > Docs)
> > >
> > > Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> > > passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> > > you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> > > access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
> > >
> > > Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> > > Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> > > set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> > > work for XP machines!).
> > >
> > > In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> > > OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> > > and Printer Sharing.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

CJ

RE: Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
OK, so I have no idea how this happened, but now my computer's connected to
the network! Thanks for all your help!

"CJ" wrote:

> Good question. It's never worked; I just ran it because nothing else was
> working. BTW the "parameter is incorrect" message stopped coming up after I
> restarted my computer. So all the settings on the vista laptop are correct
> now. The network still isn't working.
>
> Is it an issue if the network map shows the laptop connected to the router
> and the desktops to a "switch" that is connected to the router?
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Nowhere have I said to run the XP setup wizard on the Vista Laptop!
> > Why would you!
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "CJ" wrote:
> >
> > > I first messed with the Norton Firewall settings (which were really weird,
> > > because they had a "block windows file sharing" and an "allow windows file
> > > sharing" checkboxes and both were selected. :S)
> > >
> > > Then I tried to turn off password protection on the vista machine, but it
> > > kept on alerting me with "the parameter is incorrect."
> > >
> > > I ran the network setup wizard on one of the machines, but it didn't change
> > > anything.
> > >
> > > I tried plugging into the router because the vista laptop was connecting
> > > wirelessly and the XP desktops were wired. I ran the windows XP Network setup
> > > on the XP machines, but they still didn't detect the laptop even after I
> > > tried running the network setup disk on the laptop.
> > >
> > > This is driving me nuts! I can't figure out what's wrong here.

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot network Vista HP and XP Pro
This one will remain one of life's littler mysteries!
In networking, when you set it up, you have to reboot for the settings to
"be set in concrete".
However you got there, I'm glad you did!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"CJ" wrote:

> OK, so I have no idea how this happened, but now my computer's connected to
> the network! Thanks for all your help!
>
> "CJ" wrote:
>
> > Good question. It's never worked; I just ran it because nothing else was
> > working. BTW the "parameter is incorrect" message stopped coming up after I
> > restarted my computer. So all the settings on the vista laptop are correct
> > now. The network still isn't working.
> >
> > Is it an issue if the network map shows the laptop connected to the router
> > and the desktops to a "switch" that is connected to the router?
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > Nowhere have I said to run the XP setup wizard on the Vista Laptop!
> > > Why would you!
> > > --
> > > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

CJ

Back to "square one"?
I hate to say this, but the network is no longer working. I can't understand
what's going on! I can ping the IP and the computer names of the XP computers
in the laptop's command prompt, but the XP computers can't ping the Vista
laptop. This is the message I got when I tried (Comments and asterisks added):

Pinging ***.***.*.105 with 32 bytes of data:
//Asterisks added

Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable. /*This is
a different IP that I can't figure out where it's from.*/
Request timed out.
Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable.
Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for ***.***.*.105:

Is there a way in vista to connect to a computer by its IP? Oh, and another
thing: the computers are showing in the network map as connected to "switch,"
which is connected to the router. The weird thing is, I can't click on them.
Sorry to throw all this info at you at once; I admit I'm completely baffled
by this.
Steve Winograd

Re: Back to "square one"?
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:35:01 -0700, CJ <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I hate to say this, but the network is no longer working. I can't understand
>what's going on! I can ping the IP and the computer names of the XP computers
>in the laptop's command prompt, but the XP computers can't ping the Vista
>laptop. This is the message I got when I tried (Comments and asterisks added):
>
>Pinging ***.***.*.105 with 32 bytes of data:
>//Asterisks added
>
>Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable. /*This is
>a different IP that I can't figure out where it's from.*/
>Request timed out.
>Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable.
>Reply from ***.*.**.3: Destination net unreachable.
>
>Ping statistics for ***.***.*.105:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
>Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
>
>Is there a way in vista to connect to a computer by its IP? Oh, and another
>thing: the computers are showing in the network map as connected to "switch,"
>which is connected to the router. The weird thing is, I can't click on them.
>Sorry to throw all this info at you at once; I admit I'm completely baffled
>by this.

Since you've concealed the actual IP addresses, it's hard for anyone
else to understand the problem. I assume that your network uses
private IP addresses (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x). In that
case, the addresses are local to your network and can't be accessed by
anyone from the Internet, so it's safe to show them.

I suggest that you post another message showing the full IP addresses,
and tell us which computer corresponds to which IP address and what
your router's LAN IP address is. You can use the "-a" flag in the
"ping" command to identify the host name associated with an IP
address. For example:

ping -a 192.168.0.3
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
CJ

Re: Back to "square one"?
OK, I just wasn't sure and had seen that done on other forums. Anyways,
here's the message without asterisks:

Pinging 192.106.1.105 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 151.6.36.3: Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.
Reply from 151.6.36.3: Destination net unreachable.
Reply from 151.6.36.3: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.106.1.105: