Password Protected Sharing

Mark

Password Protected Sharing
I've had Vista Ultimate installed on my machine since day one. Now, in the
Networking and Sharing center in control panel, I'm unable to turn off
pasword protected sharing. I click on the circle to turn it off and hit
"Apply"but it doesn't turn off. Could I have inadvertantly enabled it
somewhere else and that is preventing me from disabling it in the Network
center? Any help would be appreciated.

Eric Cross

Re: Password Protected Sharing
Hello Mark,

If Password Protected Sharing is turned off, other computers that uses the
Guest account can access shared resources with no username or password
required. If the Guest has a password set, the Guest account doesn't play
guest account role consequently which can cause Password Protection Sharing
to fail to turn off. To resolve this issue, please first check if the Guest
account has a password set by referring to the following steps below.

1. Right click Computer, and click Manage.
2. Under Local Users and Groups, click Users.
3. Right click Guest, click Set Password, and then click Proceed.
4. Leave the password fields blank and click Ok. This will ensure no
password is set for the Guest account.
5. After that, please try turning off Password Protected Sharing to see if
works then.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

"Eric Cross" <ecross4@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Mark,
>
> If Password Protected Sharing is turned off, other computers that uses the
> Guest account can access shared resources with no username or password
> required. If the Guest has a password set, the Guest account doesn't play
> guest account role consequently which can cause Password Protection
> Sharing to fail to turn off. To resolve this issue, please first check if
> the Guest account has a password set by referring to the following steps
> below.
>
> 1. Right click Computer, and click Manage.
> 2. Under Local Users and Groups, click Users.
> 3. Right click Guest, click Set Password, and then click Proceed.
> 4. Leave the password fields blank and click Ok. This will ensure no
> password is set for the Guest account.
> 5. After that, please try turning off Password Protected Sharing to see if
> works then.
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I've had Vista Ultimate installed on my machine since day one. Now, in
>> the Networking and Sharing center in control panel, I'm unable to turn
>> off pasword protected sharing. I click on the circle to turn it off and
>> hit "Apply"but it doesn't turn off. Could I have inadvertantly enabled it
>> somewhere else and that is preventing me from disabling it in the Network
>> center? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested but to no avail. I figured
that there might be a security setting that I had set incorrectly, so I went
into "Administrative Tools\Local Policies\Security Options" and went down
the list and set everything to its default setting. I did the same thing
with "User Rights Assignment". I then went to the "Network and Sharing"
center and it worked. I was able to turn off Password Protected Sharing.
Thank you for the reply.

Mark