Selective sharing

mbkesti

Selective sharing

My wife and I each have Vista Home 32bit laptops which are securely
networked through a wireless router. Utilizing our private network,
were are able to share and sync files and folders. However, when I
configure our folders to be shared, the lists of people to share with do
not include each other's computers. Therefore, I opt to share with
"Everyone."

While this configuration is suitable for our secured home network, it
will not be acceptable for the network I will soon be accessing as part
of my MBA program. The files we share are private and though I do want
to be able to share files and folders with my classmates, I do not want
the personal folders I share with my wife made available over the class
network.

How can I add a networked computer to my shared list so that I can set
permissions only for that computer to access my files? Also, am I
correct in my understanding that if I enable file sharing over the
school's network, any folder which is enabled to share with "Everyone"
will be made publicly available?

--
mbkesti
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Selective sharing
In this case, you should create the same username on both computer and
assign permissions accordingly. Also remember to remove the everyone from
the sharing and security.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"mbkesti" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> My wife and I each have Vista Home 32bit laptops which are securely
> networked through a wireless router. Utilizing our private network,
> were are able to share and sync files and folders. However, when I
> configure our folders to be shared, the lists of people to share with do
> not include each other's computers. Therefore, I opt to share with
> "Everyone."
>
> While this configuration is suitable for our secured home network, it
> will not be acceptable for the network I will soon be accessing as part
> of my MBA program. The files we share are private and though I do want
> to be able to share files and folders with my classmates, I do not want
> the personal folders I share with my wife made available over the class
> network.
>
> How can I add a networked computer to my shared list so that I can set
> permissions only for that computer to access my files? Also, am I
> correct in my understanding that if I enable file sharing over the
> school's network, any folder which is enabled to share with "Everyone"
> will be made publicly available?
>

> --
> mbkesti

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Selective sharing
Hi
A simple solution is to open new folders that are not under the public
sharing and set their permissions as you wish.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)