Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista loses IP config when undocking

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2008
Gizzo
 

Posts: n/a
Vista loses IP config when undocking
I used to use ThinkVantage's Access Connections to manage my network
connection profiles on my Thinkpad. I just recently uninstalled it
because I decided to just rely on the Vista has natively.

Since our office requires static IP, I set that up at the LAN
properties.

Everything works fine when I start from a clean boot. It's when I
undock and redock to the docking station that problem starts.

I lose the static IP configuration. Instead Vista assigns:
IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (supposed to be 255.255.254.0)
Gateway: blank
DNS: correct

I now find myself having to do a reboot everytime I just need to
undock and go to a 30 minute meeting when I used to be able to undock
and redock without any problems whatsoever.

Why does Vista assign this random IP when it is hard configured?

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008
Steve Winograd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista loses IP config when undocking
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:09:15 -0700 (PDT), Gizzo <gbacareza@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I used to use ThinkVantage's Access Connections to manage my network
>connection profiles on my Thinkpad. I just recently uninstalled it
>because I decided to just rely on the Vista has natively.
>
>Since our office requires static IP, I set that up at the LAN
>properties.
>
>Everything works fine when I start from a clean boot. It's when I
>undock and redock to the docking station that problem starts.
>
>I lose the static IP configuration. Instead Vista assigns:
>IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
>Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (supposed to be 255.255.254.0)
>Gateway: blank
>DNS: correct
>
>I now find myself having to do a reboot everytime I just need to
>undock and go to a 30 minute meeting when I used to be able to undock
>and redock without any problems whatsoever.
>
>Why does Vista assign this random IP when it is hard configured?
>
>How can I solve this problem?
>
>Thanks.


I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I use ThinkVantage's
Access Connections on my ThinkPad.

Perhaps Lenovo has modified the Vista operating system in a way that
we don't know about. I recommend either:

1. Re-installing that program.

2. Contacting Lenovo support for help.

3. Going to the Lenovo forum for your model:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008
Gizzo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista loses IP config when undocking
Alas I wish it was as simple as reinstalling "Access Connections"
because I finally gave up and reinstalled it. It didn't work. Even
when I created a named profile in AC, whenever I apply it after a
redock, the same thing happens: Vista does not set the IP and subnet
mask though everything else is ok. I still have to reboot to get my IP
back. very very annoying and unproductive.

Something is definitely wrong either with the registries, the OS
itself or the adapter.

On Aug 15, 4:31*pm, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:09:15 -0700 (PDT), Gizzo <gbacar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>
> >I used to use ThinkVantage's Access Connections to manage my network
> >connection profiles on my Thinkpad. I just recently uninstalled it
> >because I decided to just rely on the Vista has natively.

>
> >Since our office requires static IP, I set that up at the LAN
> >properties.

>
> >Everything works fine when I start from a clean boot. It's when I
> >undock and redock to the docking station that problem starts.

>
> >I lose the static IP configuration. Instead Vista assigns:
> >IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
> >Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (supposed to be 255.255.254.0)
> >Gateway: blank
> >DNS: correct

>
> >I now find myself having to do a reboot everytime I just need to
> >undock and go to a 30 minute meeting when I used to be able to undock
> >and redock without any problems whatsoever.

>
> >Why does Vista assign this random IP when it is hard configured?

>
> >How can I solve this problem?

>
> >Thanks.

>
> I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. *I use ThinkVantage's
> Access Connections on my ThinkPad.
>
> Perhaps Lenovo has modified the Vista operating system in a way that
> we don't know about. *I recommend either:
>
> 1. Re-installing that program.
>
> 2. Contacting Lenovo support for help.
>
> 3. Going to the Lenovo forum for your model:
>
> * *http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
Steve Winograd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista loses IP config when undocking
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:17:01 -0700 (PDT), Gizzo <gbacareza@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> >I used to use ThinkVantage's Access Connections to manage my network
>> >connection profiles on my Thinkpad. I just recently uninstalled it
>> >because I decided to just rely on the Vista has natively.

>>
>> >Since our office requires static IP, I set that up at the LAN
>> >properties.

>>
>> >Everything works fine when I start from a clean boot. It's when I
>> >undock and redock to the docking station that problem starts.

>>
>> >I lose the static IP configuration. Instead Vista assigns:
>> >IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
>> >Subnet: 255.255.0.0 (supposed to be 255.255.254.0)
>> >Gateway: blank
>> >DNS: correct

>>
>> >I now find myself having to do a reboot everytime I just need to
>> >undock and go to a 30 minute meeting when I used to be able to undock
>> >and redock without any problems whatsoever.

>>
>> >Why does Vista assign this random IP when it is hard configured?

>>
>> >How can I solve this problem?

>>
>> >Thanks.

>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. *I use ThinkVantage's
>> Access Connections on my ThinkPad.
>>
>> Perhaps Lenovo has modified the Vista operating system in a way that
>> we don't know about. *I recommend either:
>>
>> 1. Re-installing that program.
>>
>> 2. Contacting Lenovo support for help.
>>
>> 3. Going to the Lenovo forum for your model:
>>
>> * *http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/

>
>Alas I wish it was as simple as reinstalling "Access Connections"
>because I finally gave up and reinstalled it. It didn't work. Even
>when I created a named profile in AC, whenever I apply it after a
>redock, the same thing happens: Vista does not set the IP and subnet
>mask though everything else is ok. I still have to reboot to get my IP
>back. very very annoying and unproductive.
>
>Something is definitely wrong either with the registries, the OS
>itself or the adapter.


If you don't get an answer here, I recommend that you contact Lenovo
support for help or post your question in the appropriate Lenovo
forum.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista loses IP config when undocking
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:18:05 -0600, Steve Winograd
<bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>If you don't get an answer here, I recommend that you contact Lenovo
>support for help or post your question in the appropriate Lenovo
>forum.


Vista, unlike XP and 2000, has MAJOR issues when network conditions
change. For example, if you have a network card and a hard-wired
connection and try to switch between them, it will most always go
South. Or, if a piece of the network goes away (like a server) it will
also become unusable. Unlike XP & 2000, which dealt smoothly with such
matters, Vista just starts locking up processes and requires a reboot
- often a hard reboot since it will be too whacked to shutdown
normally.

I know some people who have had luck going into device manager (before
disconnecting or changing other network conditions) and disabling the
network card/connection, then changing the connection conditions
(undock for you) then restarting the network device afterwards.

Then again, I know some people who this has not worked at all for. You
might want to give it a try and see if it helps.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Docking and Undocking screws up the resolution on my second monito Jaymz microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 04-01-2008 00:46
IP-Config Vista -> XP Bossi microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.installation 2 02-01-2008 23:31
Docking and Undocking, boot time, file copies, SP1 Mike B microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 12-18-2007 22:03
app.exe.config on XP but app.config on Vista x64? Bern McCarty microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 08-02-2007 16:18
Vista et config net ?! Mike77 microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.reseau 4 05-30-2007 16:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120