Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map

Warren

Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
I have successfully enabled file (network HDD mapping) & printer sharing on
a Win98 PC to a Vista laptop.

I'd also like to add the Win98 PC to the Vista laptop view of the network.
How do I add a Win98 PC to the Vista network map ?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

rajinisback

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map

Hi Warren,
I think you got to have file and print sharing enabled on both
Win98/Vista and the Workgroup has to be the same name. Maybe have Vista
workgroup a certain name then add Win98 to that workgroup. Make sure
they can ping each other too.
Raj

--
rajinisback

RAJ :P
*Please give Karma if I helped you fix the issue. Thanks *
Warren

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
I can see the Win98 HDD from the Vista computer (i.e. network mapping
works), it's just that showing up under the Vista network icon is iffy,
sometimes it does sometimes not.

"rajinisback" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi Warren,
> I think you got to have file and print sharing enabled on both
> Win98/Vista and the Workgroup has to be the same name. Maybe have Vista
> workgroup a certain name then add Win98 to that workgroup. Make sure
> they can ping each other too.
> Raj
>

> --
> rajinisback
>
> RAJ :P
> *Please give Karma if I helped you fix the issue. Thanks *

Jay Moore

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
If you're talking about seeing the computer name under "network" in
explorer..it's possible that 98 isn't transmitting it's info to the "master"
server on your network...or isn't doing it frequently enough.

if you're talking about it showing up properly in a network map...i don't
think 98 will do that. i started networking with windows 95 and, it wasn't
till XP that seeing computers in "network neighborhood" was reliable. you
should be able to get file and print sharing to work just fine by browsing
to the IP and mapping a network drive, but seeing the 98 machine in explorer
is a crapshoot...having vista doesn't fix that.
"Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I can see the Win98 HDD from the Vista computer (i.e. network mapping
> works), it's just that showing up under the Vista network icon is iffy,
> sometimes it does sometimes not.
>

> "rajinisback" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Warren,
>> I think you got to have file and print sharing enabled on both
>> Win98/Vista and the Workgroup has to be the same name. Maybe have Vista
>> workgroup a certain name then add Win98 to that workgroup. Make sure
>> they can ping each other too.
>> Raj
>>

>> --
>> rajinisback
>>
>> RAJ :P
>> *Please give Karma if I helped you fix the issue. Thanks *

Warren

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
Seems like a firewall issue. Much more reliable since I said to Trust
everything coming from the LAN.

"Jay Moore" <dewdude@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If you're talking about seeing the computer name under "network" in
> explorer..it's possible that 98 isn't transmitting it's info to the

"master"
> server on your network...or isn't doing it frequently enough.
>
> if you're talking about it showing up properly in a network map...i don't
> think 98 will do that. i started networking with windows 95 and, it wasn't
> till XP that seeing computers in "network neighborhood" was reliable. you
> should be able to get file and print sharing to work just fine by browsing
> to the IP and mapping a network drive, but seeing the 98 machine in

explorer
> is a crapshoot...having vista doesn't fix that.
> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I can see the Win98 HDD from the Vista computer (i.e. network mapping
> > works), it's just that showing up under the Vista network icon is iffy,
> > sometimes it does sometimes not.
> >

> > "rajinisback" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Hi Warren,
> >> I think you got to have file and print sharing enabled on both
> >> Win98/Vista and the Workgroup has to be the same name. Maybe have Vista
> >> workgroup a certain name then add Win98 to that workgroup. Make sure
> >> they can ping each other too.
> >> Raj
> >>

> >> --
> >> rajinisback
> >>
> >> RAJ :P
> >> *Please give Karma if I helped you fix the issue. Thanks *

Warren

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
Actually it may be a timing issue, if I wait long enough it often makes the
network connections by itself. Any way to speed this process up ?

> Seems like a firewall issue. Much more reliable since I said to Trust
> everything coming from the LAN.
>
> "Jay Moore" <dewdude@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > If you're talking about seeing the computer name under "network" in
> > explorer..it's possible that 98 isn't transmitting it's info to the

> "master"
> > server on your network...or isn't doing it frequently enough.
> >
> > if you're talking about it showing up properly in a network map...i

don't
> > think 98 will do that. i started networking with windows 95 and, it

wasn't
> > till XP that seeing computers in "network neighborhood" was reliable.

you
> > should be able to get file and print sharing to work just fine by

browsing
> > to the IP and mapping a network drive, but seeing the 98 machine in

> explorer
> > is a crapshoot...having vista doesn't fix that.
> > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >I can see the Win98 HDD from the Vista computer (i.e. network mapping
> > > works), it's just that showing up under the Vista network icon is

iffy,
> > > sometimes it does sometimes not.
> > >

> > > "rajinisback" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

Vista

Steve Winograd

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:12:38 -0400, "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I have successfully enabled file (network HDD mapping) & printer sharing on
>a Win98 PC to a Vista laptop.
>
>I'd also like to add the Win98 PC to the Vista laptop view of the network.
>How do I add a Win98 PC to the Vista network map ?
>
>Thanks in advance for your consideration.

It isn't possible add a Win98 computer to Vista's "Network Map". Only
Windows 2000, XP, and Vista can appear there.

The Win98 computer should be visible when you click "Network" on
Vista's Start menu. If that doesn't work, click the Start button,
type the Win98 computer's name in the "Start Search" box in this
format, and press the Enter key:

\\computer
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Warren

Re: Has anyone successfully got a Win98 Computer to show up on a Vista network map
Yes it does appear under "Network", as you say. Good enough for me.

For some reason Vista Home editions seem very slow at finding networked
computers but with a little patience the eventually show up.