WLAN Printing via Desktop (USB) connected printer

ProfQ

WLAN Printing via Desktop (USB) connected printer
Hi. How can I get a document on my Vista Business laptop to print on the
Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer connected by USB to my desktop running
Windows 2000 SP4?

I have attached to the desktop \\isss\EPSON (shared printer) on a
virtual USB port, the printers window shows the document spooling, but
the printer does not print anything.

I have the Epson print drivers installed on both machines. People tell
me it is possible to print this way, but it does not work. Why?
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: WLAN Printing via Desktop (USB) connected printer
Hi
You have to share the printer on Win2000, and install the printer drivers
via add a network printer on Vista.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> You have to share the printer on Win2000, and install the printer
> drivers via add a network printer on Vista.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "ProfQ" <pseudo@intellectual.info> wrote in message
>> Hi. How can I get a document on my Vista Business laptop to print on
>> the Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer connected by USB to my desktop
>> running Windows 2000 SP4?
>>
>> I have attached to the desktop \\isss\EPSON (shared printer) on a
>> virtual USB port, the printers window shows the document spooling, but
>> the printer does not print anything.
>>
>> I have the Epson print drivers installed on both machines. People tell
>> me it is possible to print this way, but it does not work. Why?

Thanks Jack. I get "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could
not be completed (error 0xe0000216) OK" Not OK but we know what OK means
here.
Ian Samson

On Aug 12, 3:40*am, ProfQ <pse...@intellectual.info> wrote:
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> > Hi
> > You have to share the printer on Win2000, and install the printer
> > drivers via add a network printer on Vista.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> > "ProfQ" <pse...@intellectual.info> wrote in message
> >> Hi. How can I get a document on my Vista Business laptop to print on
> >> the Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer connected by USB to my desktop
> >> running Windows 2000 SP4?

> >> I have attached to the desktop \\isss\EPSON (shared printer) on a
> >> virtual USB port, the printers window shows the document spooling, but
> >> the printer does not print anything.

> >> I have the Epson print drivers installed on both machines. People tell
> >> me it is possible to print this way, but it does not work. Why?

> Thanks Jack. I get "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could
> not be completed (error 0xe0000216) OK" Not OK but we know what OK means
> here.

Same owner, different name: I have shared the Epson printer on W2K SP4
machine. I have tried to install the correct printer driver on Vista,
but I received the above message during the installation. I have e-
mailed Epson to find a driver for Vista.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
Date: 2008/08/11 19:17:55
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
The application (Epson printer driver setup utility, from vendor
Epson) has the following problem: Epson printer driver setup utility
is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information,
contact Epson.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-
ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure" Guid="{5ec13d8e-4b3f-422e-
a7e7-3121a1d90c7a}" />
<EventID>1</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>2</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>1590</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4180" ThreadID="5840" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>sounds-laptop</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3020169247-1900476552-3268551627-1006" /

</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DBType">15</Data>
<Data Name="AppNameCount">35</Data>
<Data Name="AppName">Epson printer driver setup utility</Data>
<Data Name="VendorNameCount">6</Data>
<Data Name="VendorName">Epson</Data>
<Data Name="SummaryCount">118</Data>
<Data Name="Summary">Epson printer driver setup utility is
incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information,
contact Epson.</Data>
<Data Name="SessionID">1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Jay Moore

Re: WLAN Printing via Desktop (USB) connected printer
are you sure you have the right vista drivers for that printer? even if the
printer is on win2000, you'll still need vista print drivers for your
particular model printer. I have an Epson Stylus CX7400 connected via USB to
my XP machine in my basement. When I wanted to use that printer with my
laptop (which has vista), i went to epson's website and downloaded the vista
drivers for that printer and installed them....i don't remember if the
drivers asked me where the printer was...i probably ignored it and made it
install anyway. then i connected to the printer over the network and it
worked flawlessly.

it's possible you're trying to use the drivers the network machine is giving
you..or you're forcing it to...which won't work.

"Ian Samson" <iansamson3@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Aug 12, 3:40 am, ProfQ <pse...@intellectual.info> wrote:
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> > Hi
> > You have to share the printer on Win2000, and install the printer
> > drivers via add a network printer on Vista.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> > "ProfQ" <pse...@intellectual.info> wrote in message
> >> Hi. How can I get a document on my Vista Business laptop to print on
> >> the Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer connected by USB to my desktop
> >> running Windows 2000 SP4?

> >> I have attached to the desktop \\isss\EPSON (shared printer) on a
> >> virtual USB port, the printers window shows the document spooling, but
> >> the printer does not print anything.

> >> I have the Epson print drivers installed on both machines. People tell
> >> me it is possible to print this way, but it does not work. Why?

> Thanks Jack. I get "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could
> not be completed (error 0xe0000216) OK" Not OK but we know what OK means
> here.

Same owner, different name: I have shared the Epson printer on W2K SP4
machine. I have tried to install the correct printer driver on Vista,
but I received the above message during the installation. I have e-
mailed Epson to find a driver for Vista.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure

ProfQ

Re: WLAN Printing via Desktop (USB) connected printer
Thanks Jay. I am sure I do have the right Vista drivers. I connected the
USB device directly to the laptop to ensure that Vista instlled the
correct drivers.

Nothing is simple with Vista, least of all printing via WLAN to an Epson
Stylus Photo R200 connected by USB to a desktop PC running Windows 2000
SP4! I connected the USB to my Vista laptop to get the drivers
installed, then changed the port to the USB on the desktop, tried to
print, but it would not do it.

If anyone knows what I am going thru, and has the solution, please write
to this group as I will be watching it carefully ...

Jay Moore wrote:
> [...]

> <Task>0</Task>
> <Opcode>2</Opcode>
> <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-11T17:17:55.679Z" />
> <EventRecordID>1590</EventRecordID>
> <Correlation />
> <Execution ProcessID="4180" ThreadID="5840" />
> <Channel>Application</Channel>
> <Computer>sounds-laptop</Computer>
> <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3020169247-1900476552-3268551627-1006" /
>>

> </System>
> <EventData>
> <Data Name="DBType">15</Data>
> <Data Name="AppNameCount">35</Data>
> <Data Name="AppName">Epson printer driver setup utility</Data>
> <Data Name="VendorNameCount">6</Data>
> <Data Name="VendorName">Epson</Data>
> <Data Name="SummaryCount">118</Data>
> <Data Name="Summary">Epson printer driver setup utility is
> incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information,

Ian Samson

On Aug 13, 4:00*am, "Jay Moore" <dewd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you sure you have the right vista drivers for that printer? even if the
> printer is on win2000, you'll still need vista print drivers for your
> particular model printer. I have an Epson Stylus CX7400 connected via USBto
> my XP machine in my basement. When I wanted to use that printer with my
> laptop (which has vista), i went to epson's website and downloaded the vista
> drivers for that printer and installed them....i don't remember if the
> drivers asked me where the printer was...i probably ignored it and made it
> install anyway. then i connected to the printer over the network and it
> worked flawlessly.
>
> it's possible you're trying to use the drivers the network machine is giving
> you..or you're forcing it to...which won't work.

Hi Jay, thanks for your input. Yes, I am using the Microsoft driver
supplied for the Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer. I connected the
printer directly to the Vista laptop and got Vista to install the
right drivers (even though Epson say they do not have drivers for
Vista Business 32 for that OLD printer). I have tried printing again
but it still doesn't go through. Guess I have to add something to the
router. Is there any additional code like TCP:445 that allows printing
via the WLAN?