Networking vista to win xp with wired router

CAnn

Networking vista to win xp with wired router

Hello, I found your forum while searching on the net for help trying to
set up a home network between my new computer with vista home premium
64-bit, service pack 1 on it and two of my older win xp computers
(service pack 2). I have been like 3 days trying to get this thing set
up and just can't seem to do it. Frankly, I have no idea what I am
doing!! And I am beginning to dislike Vista! Some background info: 3
computers using D-Link were originally networked using wired router
model DI-604. I had 3 computers networked before. Mine which was the
main computer crashed, although all computers had access to internet I
never got around to "reconnecting " everything and I just bought a new
computer so figured I would do it now. The D-Link router is old. I went
in to see if I could download any firmware upgrades and although there
is a quick install guide for win xp...nothing for vista. See:
http://support.dlink.ca/products/vie...I%2D604%5FrevE
I have assigned same workgroup name. On my vista I can see both xp
computers, but cannot access them. I can't see the vista on my xp and
therefore can't access it. I have temporarily disabled firewall, enabled
file and printer sharing, downloaded and ran the Link Layer Topology
Discovery (LLTD)...what else should I be doing. I read somewhere that
perhaps I should give all the computers the same computer name..?
Thinking maybe it's the router (being an older model), I have contacted
D-Link, but as of yet have not heard back from them. Any suggestions
would help. I am getting terribly frustrated here and probably
unbearable to talk to
Thanks for any help!!!

--
CAnn
Warren

Re: Networking vista to win xp with wired router
I'm a non-expert like you but I just managed to connect a Vista x32 laptop
to a Win98 PC to enable access to the dedicated printer and files on the
Win98PC.

I don't think using the same Computer name is a good idea, but same
Workgroup is. First I set up the HDD & Printer on Win98 PC to share over
Microsoft network.

To access the HDD I simply mapped a drive on the Vista laptop to
\\Win98PCname\SharedNameforHDDonWin98PC and everything worked like a charm.
I now have full access to my Win98 HDD from my Vista laptop. Simlar
exercise for Printer, just created a Local Pinter with the above connection
path.

I'm not sure if this is what you want to accomplish, but if it is, feel free
to try. Hope this helps.

"CAnn" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I found your forum while searching on the net for help trying to
> set up a home network between my new computer with vista home premium
> 64-bit, service pack 1 on it and two of my older win xp computers
> (service pack 2). I have been like 3 days trying to get this thing set
> up and just can't seem to do it. Frankly, I have no idea what I am
> doing!! And I am beginning to dislike Vista! Some background info: 3
> computers using D-Link were originally networked using wired router
> model DI-604. I had 3 computers networked before. Mine which was the
> main computer crashed, although all computers had access to internet I
> never got around to "reconnecting " everything and I just bought a new
> computer so figured I would do it now. The D-Link router is old. I went
> in to see if I could download any firmware upgrades and although there
> is a quick install guide for win xp...nothing for vista. See:
> http://support.dlink.ca/products/vie...I%2D604%5FrevE
> I have assigned same workgroup name. On my vista I can see both xp
> computers, but cannot access them. I can't see the vista on my xp and
> therefore can't access it. I have temporarily disabled firewall, enabled
> file and printer sharing, downloaded and ran the Link Layer Topology
> Discovery (LLTD)...what else should I be doing. I read somewhere that
> perhaps I should give all the computers the same computer name..?
> Thinking maybe it's the router (being an older model), I have contacted
> D-Link, but as of yet have not heard back from them. Any suggestions
> would help. I am getting terribly frustrated here and probably
> unbearable to talk to
> Thanks for any help!!!
>

> --
> CAnn

Mick Murphy

RE: Networking vista to win xp with wired router
Below is how I Network XP and Vista.
Read carefully re 3rd Party firewalls and XP's file sharing wizard setup,
and Vista's Network and Sharing Settings.
And, Workgroup names have to be the same, not computer names.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"CAnn" wrote:

> Hello, I found your forum while searching on the net for help trying to
> set up a home network between my new computer with vista home premium
> 64-bit, service pack 1 on it and two of my older win xp computers
> (service pack 2). I have been like 3 days trying to get this thing set
> up and just can't seem to do it. Frankly, I have no idea what I am
> doing!! And I am beginning to dislike Vista! Some background info: 3
> computers using D-Link were originally networked using wired router
> model DI-604. I had 3 computers networked before. Mine which was the
> main computer crashed, although all computers had access to internet I
> never got around to "reconnecting " everything and I just bought a new
> computer so figured I would do it now. The D-Link router is old. I went
> in to see if I could download any firmware upgrades and although there
> is a quick install guide for win xp...nothing for vista. See:
> http://support.dlink.ca/products/vie...I%2D604%5FrevE
> I have assigned same workgroup name. On my vista I can see both xp
> computers, but cannot access them. I can't see the vista on my xp and
> therefore can't access it. I have temporarily disabled firewall, enabled
> file and printer sharing, downloaded and ran the Link Layer Topology
> Discovery (LLTD)...what else should I be doing. I read somewhere that
> perhaps I should give all the computers the same computer name..?
> Thinking maybe it's the router (being an older model), I have contacted
> D-Link, but as of yet have not heard back from them. Any suggestions
> would help. I am getting terribly frustrated here and probably
> unbearable to talk to
> Thanks for any help!!!
>

> --
> CAnn

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Networking vista to win xp with wired router
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-